Fear of shower and pneumonia

Dawnw67

Nov 13, 2023
My mum has been diagnosed with the latter stages of vascular dementia. She has a fear of showers/baths/getting wet- saying she was told she could get pneumonia. I ramp up the heating so warm but her mood becomes defensive, emotional and stroppy when a shower is mentioned. Has anybody got any tips as it has become a very anxious time every time we know a shower is due.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My mum has been diagnosed with the latter stages of vascular dementia. She has a fear of showers/baths/getting wet- saying she was told she could get pneumonia. I ramp up the heating so warm but her mood becomes defensive, emotional and stroppy when a shower is mentioned. Has anybody got any tips as it has become a very anxious time every time we know a shower is due.
has she had the pneumonia vaccine? could she have it so she feels protected?

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Dawnw67 and welcome to this supportive and friendly forum. There is a lot of shared experience of dementia to be found here from members who want to help.

I am sorry to read about your Mum's dementia, and also the challenges you are facing with her showering.
I don't have any direct experience of this I'm afraid, but I am sure that others do and will be along shortly with their suggestions.
Sometimes, just being able to share and know that people understand and care enough to answer can be an enormous help when times get hard.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Dawnw67 A fear of showing or bathing is quite common in someone with dementia. Would your mum be happy with a strip wash at the sink or you could perhaps use body wipes to keep her clean, there are ones especially for adults or even baby wipes could be used.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@Dawnw67
yes available for everyone over 65 years. its a one off rather than a yearly booster

I've had two, when having a flu jab I was asked if I'd had one at 65, when I said I had the nurse said that as it was over 15 years ago would I like a booster and I said 'yes'

what-to-do

Sep 17, 2023
Hi Dawnw57
I'm not massively knowledgeable like a lot of people here. I sympathise with you as getting our loved ones out of irrational thoughts and anxiety is upsetting and especially difficult.
Have you suggested your Mum have body washes rather than bathe/shower? She could dry down quicker and in sections. Perhaps you, or somebody else, can do this for her if she agrees?
I believe the pneumonia people with dementia are susceptible to is a type which is caught through swallowing difficulties when the food goes down the wrong way (although your Mum's probably worried in general?) and not from the cold.
My Dad has mixed dementia and has had body washes for a while, mainly because he had trouble getting into the bath anyway. His carers would do this for him but has since gone into a home. It seems to work well, if only a bit fiddly.
Good luck with your Mum x.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi Dawnw57
I'm not massively knowledgeable like a lot of people here. I sympathise with you as getting our loved ones out of irrational thoughts and anxiety is upsetting and especially difficult.
Have you suggested your Mum have body washes rather than bathe/shower? She could dry down quicker and in sections. Perhaps you, or somebody else, can do this for her if she agrees?
I believe the pneumonia people with dementia are susceptible to is a type which is caught through swallowing difficulties when the food goes down the wrong way (although your Mum's probably worried in general?) and not from the cold.
My Dad has mixed dementia and has had body washes for a while, mainly because he had trouble getting into the bath anyway. His carers would do this for him but has since gone into a home. It seems to work well, if only a bit fiddly.
Good luck with your Mum x.
i think you mean aspiration pneumonia. my husband had strip washes for 2 years before the bathroom was adapted. hes just survived a few weeks with washes again and neither were very well. he was fine. sometimes thats all they were used to other than the tin bath by the fire on a sunday night. it didnt do them any harm.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I think its a long held belief amongst the elderly that ''You'll catch your death of cold'' or ''You'll get pneumonia'' if you get wet and cold. o course we know this isnt the case, perhaps memories of when houses were colder.
Could you super warm the bath roo and try along with a loo trip ''while we are here in the warm''
Dont tell her the plan, dont pre warm, just spur of the moment

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
How about a “sit down shower”? Mum sits on a plastic chair (or get a wall seat fitted) and you use the shower head just to shower her body so that her head/face doesn’t get wet.

Dawnw67

Nov 13, 2023
Hello @Dawnw67 A fear of showing or bathing is quite common in someone with dementia. Would your mum be happy with a strip wash at the sink or you could perhaps use body wipes to keep her clean, there are ones especially for adults or even baby wipes could be used.
We are considering this as an alternative if all else fails-thank you

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
People with dementia often develop a fear of water. Showers seem like huge, dangerous torrents of water and baths appear so deep they are afraid of drowning.
Strip washes are much less threatening, especially if they are wrapped in towels and only the bit that is being washed is exposed

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
We’ve stripped washed for 3 years or so now……showers were far too distressing for her.

works fine …I have a nose like a blood hound and she never smells

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
We’ve stripped washed for 3 years or so now……showers were far too distressing for her.

works fine …I have a nose like a blood hound and she never smells
Do you wash them or do they do it themselves? My Mum seems to have neverending fungal infections (I don’t need to be a bloodhound!) She will not let me help and is adamant she is coping. But she smells - she can’t smell it herself. I have suggested a carer to help with personal care which hasn’t gone down well. I guess if you don’t think you have an issue, you don’t need help!