FAQs

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'm on an iPad. What you described doesn't work here and I don't want to have to do something like that every time I come here. I want to be able to permanently switch that screen window off.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I don’t have a problem with the chat line being there either and at least it means we are able to see when a new member is maybe posting there about something important which would receive more response on the main forum.
No site is going to be perfect for everyone but most people seem to have adapted to this one reasonably well going by the few queries on here now.

Saun_A

Jul 9, 2016
We are trying our best to collect all feedback we receive on the new Talking Point and discuss with our team as a collective. I understand that it can be challenging to adjust to a new functionality like chat and we'll be keeping an eye on the feedback we receive. I can assure you that you are being heard. Also, thanks @nitram for your workaround to clear the chat bar and make it less distracting.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I don’t have a problem with the chat line being there either and at least it means we are able to see when a new member is maybe posting there about something important which would receive more response on the main forum.
No site is going to be perfect for everyone but most people seem to have adapted to this one reasonably well going by the few queries on here now.
I use TP on my phone a lot. No problem with the chat bar on the phone - it's not there! On a phone, you have to go looking for Chat. Tbh, at this stage, even on the laptop, I hardly notice the chat bar.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
@Saun_A ...I have complained (along with some others) about the blue up/ down arrow being a distraction...I'm using an iPad. But I picked up a new iPhone yesterday...and the arrow is brilliant on that. And, actually...I must be mentally 'screening it out' on the iPad now...I just this minute had to check and see if it was still there.
I've got used to the chat line at the bottom now, too.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
We are trying our best to collect all feedback we receive on the new Talking Point and discuss with our team as a collective. I understand that it can be challenging to adjust to a new functionality like chat and we'll be keeping an eye on the feedback we receive. I can assure you that you are being heard. Also, thanks @nitram for your workaround to clear the chat bar and make it less distracting.
Just to say that I tried Nitram’s instructions on my iPad, just as an experiment as I have already said it’s not a problem for me as I am used to it. Yes, it did work for that moment and th chat bar disappeared but, as Chemmy pointed out, only for that moment. Once you moved to do something else, it returned.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I understand that it can be challenging to adjust to a new functionality like chat and we'll be keeping an eye on the feedback we receive. I can assure you that you are being heard

My take on chat is that is an obvious place for expert Q&A, It could be enabled exclusively during these sessions.

This would have the disadvantage that members might not have a chance to investigate it before the session.

For a (maybe unsure) newcomer faced with Forums. Media, Calendar, Chat, plus various forums where do you start?

The only option that immediately gives you somewhere to type is chat, maybe not ideal but the newcomer has entered the site and can be helped.

I appreciate that /clear can work differently on other devices/browsers, just how distracting is the chatbar, can it not just be ignored?

EDIT
Must learn to compose and type faster, I see some of my later points have been covered.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I use TP on my phone a lot. No problem with the chat bar on the phone - it's not there!

Somewhat OT.
If I fool TP into thinking my laptop is a phone I can't easily find chat, tablet is easier.
No idea what phone or tablet I'm pretending to be, all good entertainment last night when several people were watching Strictly.
Does this look like anybody's phone?

2017-10-08_181103.png

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Looks a lot like my Android phone.

Thanks for that.
I'm just altering the responsive area on my screen, on the screengrab it's 519X733, this seems to work reasonably well , other areas give strange results.
XenForo obviously looks at screen size (maybe combined with other details) to decide on the UI.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
@nitram I think you may have had a visit from CC - but am not completely sure because, as you are well aware, some of the things you write are way beyond my understanding!

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@nitram I think you may have had a visit from CC - but am not completely sure because, as you are well aware, some of the things your write are way beyond my understanding!

The software adapts to the screen size it sees and decides what layout to use.
I'm lying about my screen size and have successfully just tried starting a discussion using my simulated mobile,
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/test-post-using-phone-ui-on-laptop.104570/

I've sorted out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Officer_Crabtree - thanks for the warning!

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Darn, still got it round the wrong way. I will just accept that your mind is far superior @nitram. I will stick to discussing fluffy kittens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare