Eating enough

Bigbrius

Nov 9, 2021
My wife was diagnosed with dementia 3 years ago. over the last few months I have noticed that whenever she is upset she will not eat. I sometimes feel she uses this to hurt my feelings. Doctors say that as she is not losing weight there is no problem. I am at my wit`s end trying to persuade to eat but am having little success. Has anyone else as a carer experienced this? I so any advice would be much appreciated.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Ask her what she wants for tea tonight, then make it happen. Eggs, bacon and beans might be breakfast, can equally be lunch or an evening meal.
So long as she's eating don't matter what it is
K

Pollywobble

Nov 13, 2023
My wife was diagnosed with dementia 3 years ago. over the last few months I have noticed that whenever she is upset she will not eat. I sometimes feel she uses this to hurt my feelings. Doctors say that as she is not losing weight there is no problem. I am at my wit`s end trying to persuade to eat but am having little success. Has anyone else as a carer experienced this? I so any advice would be much appreciated.
I had this for a while with my man. I tried all sorts of soft/liquid foods as he was scared of swallowing. He live off custard for several days! It was the one thing he would eat so I let him. I gradually introduced different foods, with small portions and usually mashed up. Hope this helps.

Dianej

Mar 27, 2021
My OH became picky about food after a spell in hospital three months ago. He ate the hospital food quite happily but when he got home he would not touch hot cooked food. I tried hs favourites like macaroni cheese which is easy to swallow but had no success. I will say to him it's cottage pie for tea, would he like some , and he says yes, but when I put it in front of him, he won't touch it and says it looks horrible. He will eat sandwiches with various fillings so I have settled for those with other snacks such as yoghurts, ice creams, individual trifles, small pork pies, rice pudding, tinned fruit cocktail and cream, apple pie and custard. It's difficult to provide a balanced diet but I think it's just best to get something down him. I have started putting a bowl of grapes on the coffee table each morning, and although he says he won't eat them, they are always gone by tea time.

deborahh

Nov 6, 2023
My OH became picky about food after a spell in hospital three months ago. He ate the hospital food quite happily but when he got home he would not touch hot cooked food. I tried hs favourites like macaroni cheese which is easy to swallow but had no success. I will say to him it's cottage pie for tea, would he like some , and he says yes, but when I put it in front of him, he won't touch it and says it looks horrible. He will eat sandwiches with various fillings so I have settled for those with other snacks such as yoghurts, ice creams, individual trifles, small pork pies, rice pudding, tinned fruit cocktail and cream, apple pie and custard. It's difficult to provide a balanced diet but I think it's just best to get something down him. I have started putting a bowl of grapes on the coffee table each morning, and although he says he won't eat them, they are always gone by tea time.
When I was taking care of my mom, she'd eat anything sweet. My good friend who's mom also had ALZ, always put honey on the turkey sandwiches for her mom. Then she'd eat it.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
When I was taking care of my mom, she'd eat anything sweet. My good friend who's mom also had ALZ, always put honey on the turkey sandwiches for her mom. Then she'd eat it.
We have some chocolates left from Christmas. Often see my OH putting a couple in his lunchtime sandwich 😂 can't say taste appeals to me but hey ho

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @Bigbrius
Yes, I had the same problem a little while ago - my OH started to eat less, and less. She doesn't use much energy and sleeps a lot. Yes, she's lost weight and her arms and hands are noticeably v thin now. She still has a v tight grip when she wants to.
She is now no longer weight bearing and as I can't lift her, she hasn't actually been weighed for at least a year and half. I can't make her eat. She seems reasonably OK, so far as circumstances allow.
I make sure everything is cut up into bite size pieces, as a large plateful was putting her off. I now have to feed her food and drink as she can't co-ordinate to hold cutlery or a cup.
The last time I had occasion to speak with the GP surgery about her - I was arranging a home visit for anti-flu and anti-covid injections - they (the practice nurse) didn't seem that bothered, and thought the eating pattern was fairly normal for Alz's.
If you're concerned then speak with GP soonest.
Best wishes

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There is light at the end of the tunnel and when the going gets tough the tough get going, clichés I know but none the less true, never be afraid to ask for help.
K