Dear Diary!

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I tried to order tests this week as a healthcare worker and that is no longer possible.

You‘re right we have lost the focus on the vulnerable - and any responsibility to them. But as this site shows that attitude goes way beyond covid. I wonder if Asian cultures who respect their elders are keeping to mask wearing etc. They are traditionally better at that. Masks became toxic here didnt they which was a shame.

i have to say the NHS carers we had were good with masks - I requested on the assessment and every carer came with one on - I had some ready to offer but they were never needed.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
The shop thing I understand I suppose, personal choice and all that, was just taken by surprise that no precautions were taken for a home visit with those responsible having multiple contacts with vulnerable groups!

Yep we 'booked' ours ages ago with a promise of being sorted in two weeks max... we waited a lot longer however with continuing text alerts & letter reminders. Just dropped lucky today being in, there was no hint at all that they were coming.
i have podiatrist, nurse for blood test, paramedics, even the careline people. none wear masks and dont expect us to. my husband is exempt any way. he is classed as extremely clinically vulnerable and had to shield but it doesnt matter any more.

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
This is my 'Go To' thread from our dinner table.

IMG_20231123_202730.jpg

Who in there right mind buys a red called Round & Plummy?

Well me actually. £5.30 from.... (it's on the label).

Going down well.

Colin

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
I tried to order tests this week as a healthcare worker and that is no longer possible.

You‘re right we have lost the focus on the vulnerable - and any responsibility to them. But as this site shows that attitude goes way beyond covid. I wonder if Asian cultures who respect their elders are keeping to mask wearing etc. They are traditionally better at that. Masks became toxic here didnt they which was a shame.

i have to say the NHS carers we had were good with masks - I requested on the assessment and every carer came with one on - I had some ready to offer but they were never needed.
I must say that every Asian family which I've observed in the local community are continuing to wear masks but this was a consistent feature anyways before Covid struck, more people should follow their lead methinks!

It's a sad reflection on society that when you reach a certain 'best before' date older people are very much marginalised and those with difficulties even more so :( Additionally on all my travels even in developing countries the elderly have status - revered even; how is it then that in the sixth richest nation on the planet this vulnerable group are so easily discarded? Makes me ashamed and very angry 😠

Every healthcare worker on the front line should have access to free testing. Another nonsense @sdmhred!

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
I think the bottom line is that the pandemic is now over.No need for testing or isolation.Normal service to be resumed.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
I think the bottom line is that the pandemic is now over.No need for testing or isolation.Normal service to be resumed.
My main concern is my mum who is in the 'extremely clinically vulnerable' group. I understand people's views will vary but I'll stick to my guns on this one and with mum having been in hospital during the past we are not eager to return to what was a very traumatic experience for us both. Her physical and psychological wellbeing on this basis remains paramount as always.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My main concern is my mum who is in the 'extremely clinically vulnerable' group. I understand people's views will vary but I'll stick to my guns on this one and with mum having been in hospital during the past we are not eager to return to what was a very traumatic experience for us both. Her physical and psychological wellbeing on this basis remains paramount as always.
my husband is in the same category but exempt from wearing a mask. he has had all his booster and jabs but he does go out. after a year shielding, he wants some quality of life. no-one wears a mask when they come in and tbh he wants to be "normal". ive protected him as much as i can but i cant prevent him having a life.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
my husband is in the same category but exempt from wearing a mask. he has had all his booster and jabs but he does go out. after a year shielding, he wants some quality of life. no-one wears a mask when they come in and tbh he wants to be "normal". ive protected him as much as i can but i cant prevent him having a life.
Totally understand your husband's position and mum won't wear a mask either but I do expect people who have not had a booster or been vaccinated to wear a mask around mum in her house. Similarly I prefer health workers who have had multiple contacts with others to wear one too when visiting. It's a personal position and with mum having had pneumonia before in the past I see it as a must do thing, just refuse to chance it.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Heating's been on nonstop this past couple of weeks and as we live in an old house can take ages to heat up... plus if I'm feeling the cold mum's definitely feeling it x10! Dread to think what our bill is going to be but it stays on for as long as it needs to.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
I was being ironic-Covid will be with us forever but the official line is that it’s over.I appreciate that we need to get back to normal but there are still people for whom Covid will be very nasty.My husband is one of them and he is still quite anxious.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Whilst there will always be lots of people who are clinically vulnerable to infections, etc, the Covid is "over" thinking is that we - as a general population - just have to live with it, as we do with flu, the common cold etc.

The clinically vulnerable with other conditions still need caring for, as ever.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
I was being ironic-Covid will be with us forever but the official line is that it’s over.I appreciate that we need to get back to normal but there are still people for whom Covid will be very nasty.My husband is one of them and he is still quite anxious.
My sincerest apologies @notsogooddtr! I am a literal thinker and will often miss the obvious... It is a challenging time with conflicting messages - it's over but the risk is still high, more so during the winter period, get your booster etc. etc. A right proper mess and no wonder our anxieties remain high :/

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I’m disappointed that the country and system doesnt seem to have learned from the pandemic - especially in protecting the vulnerable. We know masks and distancing protect people so it does seem non sensical not to use them around the highest at risk. Surely the cost of masks at pennies is cheaper too than having some one elderly admitted for covid or flu.

Also I struggle that people are still determined to go in to the office full of bugs….many a time I have heard…’oh I shouldnt be here’……well that’s too late for the immunosuppressed person in the table over the way 😢

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Whilst there will always be lots of people who are clinically vulnerable to infections, etc, the Covid is "over" thinking is that we - as a general population - just have to live with it, as we do with flu, the common cold etc.

The clinically vulnerable with other conditions still need caring for, as ever.
It will always be a concern that we 'normalise' such issues, for me however that will never be the case... there are too many unanswered questions still. Watching the Covid inquiry and listening to the evidence has been chilling, especially when you hear of Boris Johnson's very Malthusian approach to the elderly.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
i can’t follow the enquiry …it’s just too painful…I was living on my own so no social contact…and hairing it 2 hours away to care but knowing the local police were pulling people over for being out of area

makes me very cross 😡😡

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
I’m disappointed that the country and system doesnt seem to have learned from the pandemic - especially in protecting the vulnerable. We know masks and distancing protect people so it does seem non sensical not to use them around the highest at risk. Surely the cost of masks at pennies is cheaper too than having some one elderly admitted for covid or flu.

Also I struggle that people are still determined to go in to the office full of bugs….many a time I have heard…’oh I shouldnt be here’……well that’s too late for the immunosuppressed person in the table over the way 😢
I work for a government department , no more special measures for Covid so if you are off sick the disciplinary clock is ticking

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
i can’t follow the enquiry …it’s just too painful…I was living on my own so no social contact…and hairing it 2 hours away to care but knowing the local police were pulling people over for being out of area

makes me very cross 😡😡
When I have a 'quiet hour' I indulge but not full on, makes me feel very heated to say the least 😡 I just know the big impact it made on mum's cognitive presentation, she took a very big hit as we had little or no contact with anyone... The psychological consequences of ill thought out measures for so many is now clearly evident :(