Daily care notes

Dahlia34

Jun 18, 2023
Hi my dad has just gone into a home. I asked if I could see his daily notes but the manager said no as they are put on a computer and we can't access them.. is this right the care home I came from sent everything thru on a app care control, I could see at a glance all the entries about meds food personnel hygiene any accidents all the activities he took part In. But this one I have to phone and ask, which makes me feel a pest. Also no one has asked me to contribute yo his care plan which has been done yet. He's not been weight yet either. I'm finding this so stressful.. Can anybody help

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Dahlia34

I imagine different homes have different procedures.

I never asked for care notes for my husband. I visited every other day and could see for myself how he was being cared for.

When my mother was in residential care I received care notes for her. Sadly care notes included the time she was in hospital and I knew these notes were fabricated and had to report the home to our social worker.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Do you need to see them?
Default setting is surely that he's had his meds, food and a wash- I think it will become evident if he doesnt.
I would far rather staff were on the ground with the residents, than constantly updating records of who did what, and when.

Of course major things should be recorded ( falls etc) but I'd like to hope they are occsional entries not daily

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I never looked at the care home notes when mum was living in her care home.
I think there is a big difference between a person with dementia living on their own at home with carers going in and them living in a care home.

When they at home there are many hours when they are on their own and their relative is closely involved with the day to day caring and needs to know everything that is going on. When they move into a care home it is the staff who are with them all the time and are dealing with the day to day stuff. When you are so used to micromanaging their life it is hard to let go and it feels like you are abandoning them, but you are not. So long as you are visiting them you will know if there are problems. I used to chat to the staff when I visited and I got a very good picture of how mum was - both the good and the bad!

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
I've never asked to see my husband's notes but as he has had his Parkinsons for 18 years the staff refer to me about problems with it.
If I have a concern about my husband's health which is very complex I ask the Sister on duty. I find them very open with me but now my husband is cared for by them I spend my time with him engaging socially. We listen to music,walk in the garden and reminisce. The care home has given us this back instead of being overwhelmed with caring.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Dahlia34 At my mum's previous care home relatives had electronic access to daily notes, which was introduced during the Covid lock-down when visits were stopped for a long period of time. Whilst easy access to the notes was helpful during lockdown they were not as useful when visits were re-instated as we and other relatives realised that they were not very accurate, in fact some of mum's notes clearly related to other residents, and at times the staff seemed to be spending more time inputting details into their phone apps then they did caring for the residents. Some notes had clearly just been made up, but you do get drawn into the habit of looking at them regularly when they are easy to access even though we were visiting regularly. Mum has recently moved to another home, due to safeguarding issues at the previous home (relating to other residents as well as mum), and the new home doesn't have electronic daily notes available to relatives. However mum is looking so much better since she arrived there, so the family know that she is being well looked after, which is the important thing.

As others have said, concentrate on how your dad is looking during your visits rather than wanting daily notes as that will give you a more accurate view of the level of care he is receiving. From your previous thread it looks as though your dad hasn't been in the home long but you should be given the opportunity to be involved in his care plan so do ask about that. With regards to not weighing your dad, mum's homes weighed her on admittance and then monthly, but more frequently if there were any concerns about sudden weight loss. Moving someone into a care home is hard, and needs a period of adjustment for the family as well as the resident, but I hope this helps.

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
💗 If we ask the care staff refer to their phones to access notes but we have never seen them physically or read them ourselves. We do ask sometimes about things when we go and visit which we do regularly or make them aware of things we notice or think of.

We usually have to ring to know anything or they will ring if there is a problem.

To be fair the previous home was the same ring or you would try to speak to someone when you visit.

On a definite positive note though it is nice to visit someone and just visit without thinking of all the other things.

You can ask them when they are planning to complete the care plan and say you would like to be involved in it. I would think that is a good thing for any home to encourage.