Care Home & Hydration

Minnie@123

Mar 29, 2016
Parent very frail, advanced dementia but still enjoys music & company, registered blind; has dysphagia so IDDSI Level 5 diet. GP last year advised 1500ml daily fluids; care home records show this was achieved only about 60% of days in recent months, but claim they're offering plenty and it's not being drunk. Parent is very slow in eating & drinking; can't see cup & needs prompting to find it (can then lift it & drink). I've expressed concern about dehydration. Different GP - having talked with Manager - now says "no need for fluids target" as people's bodies adapt to having very little; even "survive on 3 cups of tea a day". Websites for NHS, Dieticians, Alzheimers all say elderly should have 1500 - 1600 ml daily. Feels like GP is letting Care Home "off the hook". Comments please! How can / should I challenge this? I have LPA; and I've read CQC Regulation 14.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Minnie@123

I don't have any figures for you but just wanted to say that I empathise with your concern.

During the hot spell last summer my wife was in a residential care home and was allowed to become dehydrated. The dehydration caused a delirium, which caused aggression. My wife was then evicted because of her behaviour - with no mention that the behaviour was caused by what I would consider a lack of care. It was all very upsetting.

It may be worth while to research the issue.

I wish you both strength.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Hi @Minnie@123
I'm no medical expert but for a GP to say someone can survive on 3 cups of tea a day seems a bit strange. Dehydration and a risk of urinary tract infection due to the bladder not being flushed out would appear to be on the cards, but as I say, I'm not an expert.

Could not the staff try a little more gentle encouragement, I wonder? Not easy, I suppose, if your parent is eating/drinking very slowly but it is part of the job.
What to do? Are you supposed to go on your hands and knees and beg?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Minnie@123 I am sorry to read this, I really do think that the doctor and the care home are wrong. I have attached a link which you might find useful and can use to discuss the issue with the care home.

Good hydration is so important, it helps prevent UTIs, constipation and can help to reduce confusion in some people.

If the care home staff are not prepared to help your mum drink more it might be necessary to raise the issue with the CQC but hopefully it will not come to that.