Dad , his attitude and behaviour

catherinewa

Mar 7, 2023
My dad has been recently diagnosed and both parents have been finding it v hard to accept as they dont think he is in their words "do lally"
He went to memory clinic this week and told me very enthusiastically how he was going to fight it. He was fluent not looking for words which is unusual but then he fell asleep mid sentence on the phone

On the one hand i know a positive outlook is v helpful but my parents have not accepted getting old and making any kind of adjustments or changes and have always been stuck in their ways and i worry that they might be putting their energy in a dead end when being open tp accepting a little help occasionally may be more useful to continue how they want to live.

The falling asleep mid sentence may be the way my dads body helps him to self regulate with his idea of himself being the same as when he was 30 but as he has had 2 funny turns and im 200 miles away without a car, it concerns me. my mum is a bit fragile but able to go to shops but likes to do itwith him. She keeps him right with meds and appointments. She has always defered anything which sees as complex to dad and he wont always be able to take it in hand to keep her anxiety levels down a bit as he always has done...they also continuously put off anything that needs sorting long term and their hoarding is huge. My brother and i are sorting out lpas with them asap

im concerned that although their attitude is positive, it is unrealistic and they are a closed book to any kind of help or advice...
Any advice?

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @catherinewa

There`s a difference between having a positive attitude and being in denial and your parents could be in between the two.

My husband was always trying to find ways to make himself better and I went along with it, otherwise he would have lost hope.

Personally I think it`s more important your mother is able to face the reality rather than your dad and if you can encourage her to support him and be the strong one in the relationship she will be doing her best for him.

A diagnosis takes some coming to terms with so give your mother a chance. It`s a devastating diagnosis which leads to a complete overhaul of lifestyle and takes some getting used to.

Perhaps this link will help her.

catherinewa

Mar 7, 2023
Thank you v much..

They live in a very pro dementia support place which is excellent. My brother is on hand to help with immediate crises buti am the one who researches and reflects. Cx

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloJb