Confusion from different sources

catherinewa

Mar 7, 2023
My Dad (80) has alzheimers and both parents are in total denial. They watched the programme Jennings v Alzheimers and found it v encouraging.
However when he told me about it he had also confused the infected blood scandal and embsrassing recollections of taking his dad to the toilet (his dad had motor neurone disease)
He then proceeded to tell me blow by blow account of his ecg that day but could not recall details of his gp appointment such as he had a forthcoming physio appointment and that he has osteoorosis and a bit of osteoarthritis...

Is this normal?

Do I correct dad's mix up between infected blood and arthritis (i have watched the progamme and it was not mentioned)
And obviously also make sure his physio appointment is on calendar

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
Hello 💗

Is this normal? mmmm pretty much sounds 'normal' in a dementia illness sense. However if someone is more confused than usual then it can sometimes be an underlying infection ? With Dad that tended to happen usually a water infection or a flare up of something else. It might be worth get him checked perhaps if this is not 'normal' for Dad or he seems off generally.

You could try and sort through the ins and outs but it may not be very successful.

I would say as well it may not be denial entirely. It can be that the parts of the brain really are not working at all well to understand their own care needs and other medical conditions as well. Dad has COPD and always says his cold is lingering. I either agree or gently remind that he has COPD and it won't go away. He just says have I? and we move on to something else then. He was diagnosed many years ago and has used inhalers for a long time too.

I am sure others will be along soon with their observations too xx