Christmas Cards- do I send them on my mum's behalf?

NellieP

Feb 26, 2018
Hello,
I was wondering what other people do about Christmas cards. My mum's partner has been writing them for the past couple of years but no longer feels like doing it, however, he is also aware that not sending a card will result in people contacting him to find out what is happening, which he doesn't want to deal with. Should I step in and write the Christmas cards and ask people to contact me instead if they want to know more? Not sure what's the best way to deal with this?

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Hi @NellieP, probably the second year of Mum's dementia I wrote her cards and put in a short note explaining mum's dementia and also said that I wouldn't be sending any more cards at Christmas and hoped they would understand, and if people wanted to they could contact me. There are now only a couple of people that still send her a card.
Do whatever you and your mum's partner feel comfortable with.

chickenlady

Feb 28, 2016
Hello,
I was wondering what other people do about Christmas cards. My mum's partner has been writing them for the past couple of years but no longer feels like doing it, however, he is also aware that not sending a card will result in people contacting him to find out what is happening, which he doesn't want to deal with. Should I step in and write the Christmas cards and ask people to contact me instead if they want to know more? Not sure what's the best way to deal with this?
Immediate family and close friends will know or check, others will possibly assume that if they don't get a card in response to theirs that your mum may have moved. I wouldn't bother as you'll possibly start a cascade of correspondence to start responding to from people that you don't really know.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Mum wanted to do everyone this year …and I facilitated as it will be the last year she can write - she can just about do a very scrawly name now.

I will see who she gets to hear from and may keep A sporadic correspondence.

You will probably find people disappear from the radar…

Weve had 2/3 generally keep in touch …although I am now seeing they are also getting confused 😢😢

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazlin