But oh those lonely nights .........

LadyA

Agree with Stanley, Scarlett. It sounds like a positive step for her. I wonder though if her mental health issues are being dealt with too? Because if they are the root of the problem, will counselling actually help? Maybe - but it's surely worth a shot.

You do have a good relationship with your son-in-law, don't you? And he seems like an absolute rock, the way he has stuck by your daughter, and kept your grand-daughter in touch with you. I don't see how the text would do any harm. I suspect he is the type that knows what to share and what to keep to himself. xx

All in all, even though your daughter won't be accompanying you, I think this is a positive response from her. Ok, it's only a very tiny step, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

Scarlett123

Scarlett, I can only imagine how your present 'relationship' with your daughter must make you feel. One of my sons has an 'on/off' traumatic relationship with my ex (his Mum) and I have seen the damage up close.

But isn't it a positive that she has decided to seek counselling and that she appears to recognise that her relationship with you is a serious problem? I can understand your reading of 'counselling about my relationship with you' but at least she has got as far as realising that she needs to do something about it so this development could actually be helpful.

It's difficult, not knowing the husband, to say whether your text would be helpful or not. But if you think on balance it might then maybe it's worth a try. Certainly, there's nothing in the wording that seems objectionable.

Thanks for your response Stanley. I've sent the text to her husband - as you say, there's nothing objectionable in it. Unfortunately, she has had mental health problems for years, and we've had the whole shebang, even her husband receiving a call from the police, about 10 years ago, that she had been found in her car at Beachy Head - you can imagine the rest.

I'd like to think that you are right about her accepting the fact that she needs help regarding her relationship with me. That's the trouble with the written word, you can't hear what's being said. It just seems incredibly cruel, that at a time when I am grieving so much, that things are like this.

When I read the text to my closest friend, she felt that my daughter was being attention-seeking by having counselling, as there was no way she could expect anyone to understand why she'd virtually washed her hands of me, especially at this time. This way, it might garner some sympathy. I just don't know.

Ironically, every time, over the years, that she has been "off", with both John and I, and this has been for about the past 30 years, it was always John who said he was fed up with her, though his language was fruitier than that, and me who held out the olive branches. It would be easier for me if I was more hard-hearted.

Quilty

My sister has mental health issues and has a need to be the centre of attention. She blames my mum for everything that is wrong in her life as then she can take no responsibility. It might be that your daughter id not capable of putting someone else first. Its sad and hard but not your fault. What would your husband tell you you to do now? Probably lean on your friends. Im sure they love you like a sister. Let them be there for you. Big hug to you. We are all here fir you to. Love quilty

Last edited:

Saffie

I hope you receive a positive response from your SIL Scarlett.
It must be so hard to love someone and get little back. x

LYN T

Dear Scarlett, I'm so sorry that your Dau hasn't been more supportive but I'm glad that she has replied to your text and not carried on with the 'silent treatment'. Hopefully, your SIL may act as a go between to sow the seeds of reconciliation. This is all tremendously hard for you to bear-you must feel brokenhearted. Is your dau in regular contact with your Son? Could he help at all?

Love,

Lyn T XX

truth24

Hi Scarlett. Glad your dau replied. At least it's the first step. Hope your SIL takes the text in the spirit in which it's meant and can help insome way.xxx

Aisling

Well I got a reply tonight, as follows:

I am not in a good place mentally and am having counselling about my relationship with you. I don't feel up to going with you. I hope you are well.

No kisses, no "love", and I'm questioning why she felt it was necessary to add "about my relationship with you". It's as if she wants to blame me.

I've replied:

I'm sorry to hear that you're not well, but I understand that you don't feel up to coming with me on Thursday. I wish you better. Love Mum xx

I thought about sending the following text to her husband. What do you all think? I really value your opinions:

Hi Pete. I'm sad to hear that Debbie is having counselling, and though I don't want to upset her, by suggesting this, if at any time you feel it would be helpful for me to go with her, please let me know. She said that she hopes I'm well, but though I put a mask on in front of everyone, inside I'm so terribly lonely and miss my darling John more than words can say. Love Scarlett xx

Oh Scarlett I am so sorry. I just caught up with your posts now. It must be heartbreaking for you. Hope you are finding comfort on TP. Text to SIL is really supportive and I hope he responds.

Lots of love,

Aisling xxxxx

Scarlett123

I always used to think I had an excellent relationship with my SIL. Whenever my daughter had a breakdown, meltdown or whatever, he used to bring my grand-daughter over to John and I at 6.30 in the morning (she was 3 when this started), so he could go to work, whilst my daughter was in the Mental Hospital.

He has a manual job, and if he doesn't work, he doesn't get paid, and it was vital they could keep the mortgage paid etc.

This carried on for years, and I've lost count of the number of times it happened. She was last hospitalised 4 years ago (imagine how joyous my life was, with John in the latter stages of AD then, as well), for about 4 months, and since then, he's overseen her medication-taking, but there have been several ""extended moods", short tempered, walking on eggshells etc, and then she turned on me in October.

And my SIL didn't want to discuss it, accused me (on daughter's wrong information) of various things, and I've only seen him 3 times since, when he has come to collect my grand-daughter - Monday will be only the 4th time I've seen her in 5 months. And when he's arrived, although I've greeted him pleasantly, he just grunts.

And no, SIL hasn't responded to my text at all. Quilty, you asked what my husband would tell me to do. The same as he always said - that she is selfish and has to be the centre of attention, and I should forget olive branches and ignore her. But he was made of harder stuff than me, and I'm emotional.

And no Lyn, my son and daughter aren't in regular contact. He had decades of her moods, and is safely ensconced in California, and is disgusted by the fact that she didn't make contact for the anniversary of John's death (23/12), or his birthday on Christmas Day.

I have to choose who I tell in "real life" about my daughter. I lied to several people and said that I went to her for Christmas, and I wished I'd lied to all of them, bar my best friend. Because people keep on about it, like picking at a scab. For example, the friend I stayed with in Plymouth phones me one week and I phone her the next, and I am so tired of her continuously asking me if she'd been in touch.

I've told her that if there is any contact, I'll let her know, but she still asks, and then says "I can't understand it", and I know that, because her daughters are round with her, or phoning her all the time. And she will keep on and on about it, even if I say "d'you mind if we talk about something else please". And I get that from the half a dozen or so who know.

I've spent most of today sobbing, and I know it's not going to get easier by Thursday. One friend said "she might surprise you, and turn up", but as I pointed out, it's not like a funeral, at a set time. The Chapel, which houses the Books of Remembrance, is open all day.

I'm turning into a horrible jealous person. I spent John's illness jealous of couples where both spouses were reasonably fit and well. Then when he died, I found myself jealous of couples still together, though not, I hasten to add, where one partner was ill.

I'm jealous of those who have a caring offspring not living 6000 miles away and I'm jealous of those who don't have an uncaring one. And I hate myself for these terrible feelings.

Aisling

I always used to think I had an excellent relationship with my SIL. Whenever my daughter had a breakdown, meltdown or whatever, he used to bring my grand-daughter over to John and I at 6.30 in the morning (she was 3 when this started), so he could go to work, whilst my daughter was in the Mental Hospital.

He has a manual job, and if he doesn't work, he doesn't get paid, and it was vital they could keep the mortgage paid etc.

This carried on for years, and I've lost count of the number of times it happened. She was last hospitalised 4 years ago (imagine how joyous my life was, with John in the latter stages of AD then, as well), for about 4 months, and since then, he's overseen her medication-taking, but there have been several ""extended moods", short tempered, walking on eggshells etc, and then she turned on me in October.

And my SIL didn't want to discuss it, accused me (on daughter's wrong information) of various things, and I've only seen him 3 times since, when he has come to collect my grand-daughter - Monday will be only the 4th time I've seen her in 5 months. And when he's arrived, although I've greeted him pleasantly, he just grunts.

And no, SIL hasn't responded to my text at all. Quilty, you asked what my husband would tell me to do. The same as he always said - that she is selfish and has to be the centre of attention, and I should forget olive branches and ignore her. But he was made of harder stuff than me, and I'm emotional.

And no Lyn, my son and daughter aren't in regular contact. He had decades of her moods, and is safely ensconced in California, and is disgusted by the fact that she didn't make contact for the anniversary of John's death (23/12), or his birthday on Christmas Day.

I have to choose who I tell in "real life" about my daughter. I lied to several people and said that I went to her for Christmas, and I wished I'd lied to all of them, bar my best friend. Because people keep on about it, like picking at a scab. For example, the friend I stayed with in Plymouth phones me one week and I phone her the next, and I am so tired of her continuously asking me if she'd been in touch.

I've told her that if there is any contact, I'll let her know, but she still asks, and then says "I can't understand it", and I know that, because her daughters are round with her, or phoning her all the time. And she will keep on and on about it, even if I say "d'you mind if we talk about something else please". And I get that from the half a dozen or so who know.

I've spent most of today sobbing, and I know it's not going to get easier by Thursday. One friend said "she might surprise you, and turn up", but as I pointed out, it's not like a funeral, at a set time. The Chapel, which houses the Books of Remembrance, is open all day.

I'm turning into a horrible jealous person. I spent John's illness jealous of couples where both spouses were reasonably fit and well. Then when he died, I found myself jealous of couples still together, though not, I hasten to add, where one partner was ill.

I'm jealous of those who have a caring offspring not living 6000 miles away and I'm jealous of those who don't have an uncaring one. And I hate myself for these terrible feelings.

Oh Scarlett,

I am so sorry that all this is happening to you. You are such a beautiful person and it is so unfair. I can only send you lots of support and love.

Aisling

Quilty

Im sorry that your children are not there to support you. I hope you gave a friend to lean on this week. We will be here waiting to support. Love quilty

LadyA

Our poor darling Scarlett. We all so wish we could help, and make things better for you.

William's grandfather seems to have had somewhat strained relations with his children. William told me his grandfather used to say "Pah! Better off raising pigs - at least you can eat them! " :O I was never sure if this attitude was the cause of the strained relationships, or if the strained relationships were the cause of this attitude!

Scarlett123

Thank you all for your love and support. I have turned into such an accomplished liar. :eek: When I was at Choir One today, people were excitedly asking each other what they did on Mother's Day, and when I was asked, I found myself lying with ease. And if you're going to lie, you might as well embroider it like the Bayeaux Tapestry.;)

So I enthused about the wonderful time I had at my mythical cousin's place, where everyone gathered, and the most sumptuous Afternoon Tea was provided, with the offspring bringing various tasty delights, and spoiling us rotten. :D

I'm fine today. :) I had a nice Skype chat with my son, and his children, and then an email from my Toy Boy (who I taught over 20 years ago), inviting me out for lunch next week. I'm seeing my grand-daughter tomorrow, Choir 2 on Tuesday, and lunch with a friend on Wednesday, so I have some lovely things to look forward to.

Thank you again - there's nobody like my TP mates. :) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

truth24

Thinking of you Scarlett. You are here for all of us with words of wisdom. Wish I could help you now.

Scarlett123

Had a lovely time with grand-daughter this afternoon. When SIL arrived, I asked "did you get what I sent", meaning the text, and again, I just got a grunt. I decided not to ask why he couldn't have replied, even just with "ok".

So now, I've decided that on Thursday, I shall go to view the entry, then drive about 40 minutes or so, to the church where we married, and then to the site where we had our reception, that is now a hotel, serving lunches and afternoon teas, and have one or the other.

I might change my mind about the church and hotel, depending on the weather, and it's not a easy drive, but that's my idea. And tomorrow morning, I'm meting with the Manager of the Day Centre that John attended most, and offer my ukulele and singing services. :)

With John's Care Home, and the one I went to a couple of weeks ago, where a choir member has a relation, that makes 3 venues, and if I do one a month, they'll get 4 visits a year, and that'll make me feel so useful. Apparently the one I went to a couple of weeks ago, have already asked when I can return, so it's nice that they enjoyed themselves.

Quilty

We are all so proud of you Scarlett. You make the world a better place. I just wish i could see and hear you play. Time for a youtube video for us all?

truth24

Second, or should that be, third, that, Scarlett. Glad you enjoyed your time with your grand daughter. Your programme sounds splendid.

Scarlett123

Well if someone would kindly guide me through the process, I will gladly make a youtube video. :) I fact, I've just been looking to see if there is an easy way to record a Skype video - but there's not.

And I have another booking. :) I met the Day Care Manager, and I'll be appearing on 11th April.

26.jpg

I don't know if I've done this right. This was taken 18 years ago, when we had a blessing for our Pearl Wedding And the first one was 48 years ago!

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 419