another funny!! dementia thing

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Strangely enough (and I post on here as a carer) the tarmac with something in it....looks like I'm walking on broken glass as the line from the song goes.
Maybe a another song, diamonds on the soles of her shoes might work too. K

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i had to laugh! i thought the clocks were going forward last night so put husbands clock on an hour but didnt correct the mistake. he thought he got up at 11-20am. confessed what i did and he said that at least he got up a more decent hour. then he said he would have his cup of tea then ................. i ask what cup of tea as he hadnt even made one yet. definitely disorientated this morning. maybe its a strategy for getting him out of bed earlier?

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
i had to laugh! i thought the clocks were going forward last night so put husbands clock on an hour but didnt correct the mistake. he thought he got up at 11-20am. confessed what i did and he said that at least he got up a more decent hour. then he said he would have his cup of tea then ................. i ask what cup of tea as he hadnt even made one yet. definitely disorientated this morning. maybe its a strategy for getting him out of bed earlier?
Mmm.... It's worth folk thinking about if there's an appointment to get to in the morning. It's past being a solution here though as my OH has absolutely no concept of time, day or night! I'd know If I'd done it 😂 makes me wonder how your husband will be when the clock does go forward. Will he be aware of the daylight changes?could be confusion ahead 😂😂

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
i thought the clocks were going forward last night
Yes, I thought that too. I had googled when the clocks changed and Im sure it said the 10th March. Fortunately, somebody told me yesterday that it was happening the Easter weekend, so I didnt change the clocks

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Mmm.... It's worth folk thinking about if there's an appointment to get to in the morning. It's past being a solution here though as my OH has absolutely no concept of time, day or night! I'd know If I'd done it 😂 makes me wonder how your husband will be when the clock does go forward. Will he be aware of the daylight changes?could be confusion ahead 😂😂
hes got me to wake him up. probably wont believe me when it does. he can still do time although it takes him a bit longer. he has vascular dementia so he gets stuck on things, which order to do them in, processes of things. he does forget things but thats not the main problem. he actually got a bit more obsessive with time keeping. i suppose i plug the gaps so its not so noticeable. he finding it hard to find the right words now and names but i probably know what hes thinking and can usually suggest the right one.

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
Where I live the clocks did change today. That’s probably why some of you saw the clocks changed March 10. Last night my husband moved the clocks ahead then forgot and moved them again. By the time we went to bed the clocks were 3 hours ahead. I got up before him this morning, and had to check my phone to see what time it really was, then fixed all the clocks.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Where I live the clocks did change today. That’s probably why some of you saw the clocks changed March 10. Last night my husband moved the clocks ahead then forgot and moved them again. By the time we went to bed the clocks were 3 hours ahead. I got up before him this morning, and had to check my phone to see what time it really was, then fixed all the clocks.
Oh dear, good job you realised he'd been helpful 🙂 I think If I said ' changing the clocks ' my OH would likely ignore completely as he understands hardly anything . On a really good day I might get an item of clothes as that's what we change most often 😂

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
And another.....
Just been to the supermarket. I was loading the shopping into the boot. Pouring with rain,
ME : go and get in the car and I'll finish loading the shopping..
OH: where's the car? ( looking around the car park)

After getting him in to the car and finishing loading I get in the driver's seat.
ME: you need to put your seat belt on. Pass the clip and I'll do it.
OH: (after fiddling down the side of his seat) is this it?
He handed me the national trust book from his door pocket!

Not sure whether to laugh or cry 😂😂😂

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
We were looking around our local housewares shop this morning and OH spotted some tea towels. He kept on about them so I thought 'why not?'. They were good quality, good price and a good size. When we got home, I took them out and started cutting off the bits of plastic. OH handed them to me one at a time (8 of them) and for each one said what a lovely colour, what a good price, what good quality. Later, as they were neatly folded on the table, he went on and on about how lovely they were, how lucky we were to get them etc. Anyone would have thought we had bought the Crown Jewels.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
We were looking around our local housewares shop this morning and OH spotted some tea towels. He kept on about them so I thought 'why not?'. They were good quality, good price and a good size. When we got home, I took them out and started cutting off the bits of plastic. OH handed them to me one at a time (8 of them) and for each one said what a lovely colour, what a good price, what good quality. Later, as they were neatly folded on the table, he went on and on about how lovely they were, how lucky we were to get them etc. Anyone would have thought we had bought the Crown Jewels.
Can identify with that type of conversation 😂

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
And ..
Today I had to get a urine sample from OH to take to the Dr.
He was having difficulty providing the sample so he handed me the old yoghurt pot I gave him to wee in and said ," here can you go?"
I just couldn't make him understand that me providing the sample wasn't the answer to the problem!🤣

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Today OH clocked the very big bunch of daffodils that daughter gave me for Mothering Sunday. I also cooked some lamb for dinner and now he thinks it must be Easter!
Makes a change from last year when he didnt realise it was Easter, despite me giving him a chocolate easter egg, I suppose......

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Today OH clocked the very big bunch of daffodils that daughter gave me for Mothering Sunday. I also cooked some lamb for dinner and now he thinks it must be Easter!
Makes a change from last year when he didnt realise it was Easter, despite me giving him a chocolate easter egg, I suppose......
Yes sad isn't @canary when they don't recognise the cues. Christmas day we had daughter ,son In law and grandson for the day . Present opening ,dinner ,evening games etc. when they had gone I said what a lovely Christmas day we had had . OH said to me ,"when is it Christmas?"

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Ahh that so reminds me of the day I knew for certain mum was going down this path. It was my brother’s wedding and we were driving back to the hotel after the evening reception…..she quite innocently asked ‘When are they getting married then?’ ….she thought she had been at a church conference not a wedding 😭😭

A combination of shingles, alcohol, change of environment and early stage dementia …..

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Yes @sdmhred the first sign we noticed that my mum was starting with dementia was the day my sister had taken mum to an evening concert. She had eaten half her ice cream and she was putting the other half in her handbag to save it for later!
Mum often took home "doggy bags" from restaurants as she couldn't manage big meals but she didn't realise she couldn't do that with ice cream !

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
It's strange how the dementia mind works... I took my band ring into a local jewellers as it had lost a small diamond. While waiting we were looking in the cabinets at some of the sparkling jewellery.
When we got home my OH told me about the outing but.. well... Not quite how I remember it! In fact he didn't think I was there!

OH: I drove to town today with ...( A friend who had died 7 years ago). I tried to park but I couldn't. Do you know ,the car park was covered in beautiful jewels.
Me: well I never ,that's unusual. I wonder where they came from.
OH I don't know but they were beautiful. You'd have liked them!

Oh my ,don't know how I kept my face straight😂
Wonderful - must have been a really beautiful place he visited. Pity you missed it 😆😆

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
This morning at 5a.m. following OH toilet visit, just as I was nodding back off to sleep
OH: oh,.. I forgot to tell you, (longish silence)
Me: you forget to tell me what?
OH : that...er...that...
Me:that what?
OH : that building...(Long silence)
Me: what building?
OH: I had something to eat
Me: (realising he was talking about the day centre) did you like your dinner?
A long silence,when I put the lamp on he'd gone to sleep!

Well thanks for that. ! Took me ages to go back to sleep🤣 He'd actually had his first visit to a day centre and I'd spent the first half hour with him before leaving him.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
When I think back to a couple of years ago, I can hardly believe the patience I had when I used to join in with the weird, middle of the night conversations I had with my late husband.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crispy_