another funny!! dementia thing

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
As i was getting piglet ready for bed tonight, I told her that I would wash her top tomorrow, so we would not hang it on a hanger for morning as we usually do,. She said " you are funny, just like Tony ( thats me) he is always washing my clothes". I don't have the heart to ask who she thinks she talking too. I'm too afraid it may trigger an outburst of severe confustion and I don't want that at bed time or any other time. But I would dearly love too know. It can be quite entertaining to hear what she thinks I would do, from the perspective of her telling someone else about me.
She also seems to think I am a recent addition and have not been here as long as she has. Very strange.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I’m glad u can hold onto the funny side @tonebear

Im afraid I am a bit naughty and sometimes ask mum where she knows me from……it usually highlights who I am that day…

It is odd when they talk about you to you tho….thankfully like you I usually get good stuff….although I was told once I was very untidy 🤣🤣🤣

Cerisy

Jun 9, 2021
The odd funny incident helps of course - my wife asked what this was, but as she was on the landing and I was washing I had to wait until she came into view …. pushing the Dyson vacuum cleaner! Not sure if she had forgotten what is was or just wanted me to do more cleaning!!

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I find so much of what my OH says amusing. A lot of it is nonsense but...the other morning I started him of with his electric shaver and then left him to finish. When I returned he said" this thing is good ,where did you get it?" Had to smile , he's had that shaver getting on 10 years! He obviously likes it because he's carrying it around now in his pocket!

Buntie123

Jan 2, 2023
Wirral
Awww x. When we go to bed and I ask my hub to switch the tv off. He picks up the remote and points it towards me x

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Or how about this one...
After bringing the bin back from the kerb
Me: the bin men have forgotten to empty our bin today. It's still full
OH: nevermind you can empty it and wear it on your head
Me: I'm talking about the bin. What are you talking about?
OH: the bin
Mmm, what do they say,live in their world? Really???😂😂

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Or how about this one...
😂 😂 thankfully a sense of humour gets us by

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
Or how about this one...
oh my ..you've got to laugh sometime..

Cerisy

Jun 9, 2021
New twist - Jo tried to make a cuppa using the luke warm coffee I’d left out to cool before putting it into the fridge for tomorrow instead of boiling water. Fortunately I didn’t taste it - coffee/tea doesn’t appeal!! Strange as she’d filled the white kettle and it’s next to the tea pot???? Must make sure I’m nearby in future - yet another task coming my way!

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
how about this:
Watching T.V this evening.
OH stands up
Me: what are you doing.? Are you ok
OH: I'm standing up ( silly me)
Me: why? Do you need the toilet?
OH: ( after a few seconds delay) no I'm sitting down. ( And he did)
Have to say I got a fit of giggles. He looked at me , smiled and said "dopey man". It's a phrase he's always used when he did silly things.
Fortunately he doesn't mind when I laugh ! Very often he he does too

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
how about this:
Watching T.V this evening.
OH stands up
Me: what are you doing.? Are you ok
OH: I'm standing up ( silly me)
Me: why? Do you need the toilet?
OH: ( after a few seconds delay) no I'm sitting down. ( And he did)
Have to say I got a fit of giggles. He looked at me , smiled and said "dopey man". It's a phrase he's always used when he did silly things.
Fortunately he doesn't mind when I laugh ! Very often he he does too
Yes sometimes Piglet can be really funny or a bit strange fortunately very seldom cross.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
We had the bizarre moment today…pushing mum out for a coffee…we walk past a certain street where I lived 25 years ago ..I say nothing …she says ‘ah, Waltham Ave, Rachel lived there a long time ago’. ‘Oh I reply, who is Rachel’ ( a bit naughty but i like to know who I am) ..’my close friend’ she replies…..and on we go….mum with daughter Rachel pushing…..

Its bizarre the things we normalise!

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
We had the bizarre moment today…pushing mum out for a coffee…we walk past a certain street where I lived 25 years ago ..I say nothing …she says ‘ah, Waltham Ave, Rachel lived there a long time ago’. ‘Oh I reply, who is Rachel’ ( a bit naughty but i like to know who I am) ..’my close friend’ she replies…..and on we go….mum with daughter Rachel pushing…..

Its bizarre the things we normalise!
Yes you're right. I was cleaning the other afternoon. OH watched me and then said" you're a very good cleaner ,do you want a job cleaning my house?" heaven knows who he thought I was or where he was😂

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I love that one Maggie! I’m not a good cleaner so would be amused to hear that…..indeed mum is usually very nice about me when shes talking about me ..
but once she did say ‘ Rachel is a bit untidy you know’ 🤣🤣🤣 well she was spot in with that!

on a sserious note altho we live with these things daily and HAVE to enjou the lighter side I do wonder if they add to the stress and trauma of caring with someone with d!

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I love that one Maggie! I’m not a good cleaner so would be amused to hear that…..indeed mum is usually very nice about me when shes talking about me ..
but once she did say ‘ Rachel is a bit untidy you know’ 🤣🤣🤣 well she was spot in with that!

on a sserious note altho we live with these things daily and HAVE to enjou the lighter side I do wonder if they add to the stress and trauma of caring with someone with d!
I try to see the humour in life,it's what releases my 'frustration valve'. That's not to say it always works and on days I feel like kicking the walls I resort to the bottle of Kalms. They do usually work😊😊😊

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
I have a couple of things my husband said today that made me laugh. I bought him new slippers. He told told me he loves his new shoes. That they’re super comfortable shoes and if he didn’t know better he would think they were slippers.

I was making him lunch and he told me he would prefer I not make him lunch. When I asked him why he said he wanted to make his own lunch. I asked him what he was going to fix for his lunch and he said he didn’t need to fix anything because he was just going to eat biscuits for lunch and if he was still hungry maybe a piece of cake. I figure it’s everyone with dementia’s dream lunch.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I have a couple of things my husband said today that made me laugh. I bought him new slippers. He told told me he loves his new shoes. That they’re super comfortable shoes and if he didn’t know better he would think they were slippers.

I was making him lunch and he told me he would prefer I not make him lunch. When I asked him why he said he wanted to make his own lunch. I asked him what he was going to fix for his lunch and he said he didn’t need to fix anything because he was just going to eat biscuits for lunch and if he was still hungry maybe a piece of cake. I figure it’s everyone with dementia’s dream lunch.
😂😂The slippers especially made me laugh .
I was telling my daughter yesterday about the things my OH had said this week.they are coming thick and fast at the moment.
I said I ought to write a book. You know the type 'The Things children say ' or ' Funny Exam Answers' She said why don't you and sell it to raise money for the local dementia group.
I thought it a good idea but wasn't sure if others would view it in bad taste. 😊

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
😂😂The slippers especially made me laugh .
I was telling my daughter yesterday about the things my OH had said this week.they are coming thick and fast at the moment.
I said I ought to write a book. You know the type 'The Things children say ' or ' Funny Exam Answers' She said why don't you and sell it to raise money for the local dementia group.
I thought it a good idea but wasn't sure if others would view it in bad taste. 😊
I think it’s a wonderful idea. We need to take every opportunity we can to laugh, helps us all, carers and our dementia sufferers get through each day.