2 questions.

Sue08

Mar 19, 2024
Sundowning, does it only occur in the evening or any time of day! My OH is usually fine until after lunch (12.30) then it’s all down hill for the rest of the day. This sudden heatwave seems to affect him, could be coincidence, but today he has been extra confused, agitated, restless and angry. Anybody else experienced this with heat.

BeeBeeDee

Apr 19, 2023
My husband is constantly telling me how hot he is and then goes and puts on a shirt over his t shirt. He keeps shutting doors and windows and I go round opening them again. He keeps saying he needs a drink but for some reason is only wanting milk.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
This link from the AS might be of some help to you regarding helping our PWDs during hot weather.

Calon Lan

May 21, 2024
Hi @Sue08

My mum has Alzheimer’s and vascular dementia. She started having worse symptoms soon after lunch a few years ago and that has continued. Eventually it became very predictable. She now often sleeps for a while after lunch and she is sometimes a bit better after that. She usually goes downhill again late afternoon.

My mum was quite listless and apathetic for a while after lunch in the heat yesterday afternoon. She lives in a nursing home now and I was visiting her. Quite a few residents seemed to be affected by the heat.

Donk1

Mar 26, 2022
Sundowning, does it only occur in the evening or any time of day! My OH is usually fine until after lunch (12.30) then it’s all down hill for the rest of the day. This sudden heatwave seems to affect him, could be coincidence, but today he has been extra confused, agitated, restless and angry. Anybody else experienced this with heat.
I think that heat definitely affected mine….we had some intense heatwaves here in south Crete. My neurologist also said this. Mind you I think anything different can affect them

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
I'm sure it occurs at other times of the day and depends on how tested a person is, what challenges they have had to face, timings of medications etc.
People with dementia have body clocks all over the place - sleeping half the day, being awake half the night etc so sundowning can't literally apply to evenings in all cases.

On one of the 2 times I had to call for emergency help over several years was 7am on a winter morning, still dark and my husband having been up since 2am started smashing up the house and I was dodging flying objects. When the police came very promptly he first wanted to kick a male PC but a WPC who was knowledgeable defused the situation and told me "never mind about sundowning, he's got sun-upping." As time went on while waiting for paramedics she explained she'd had experience with her grandad. Meanwhile she told The PC to clear up the broken stuff and make me a cup of tea. She was a little angel and got onto the crisis team who had told me to dial 999.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deirdra