Always one thing more

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Oh your health system sounds so good. I had a fantastic GP then he left when the practice became part of a huge group of surgeries. Sadly over the past 10 years I have had several named GPS but rarely get to see them as the practice books you in with whoever is available. I, like many, miss that continuity.

I hope you are both feeling better today.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I think our health care system used to be really great but it is younger than NHS and is funded quite differently. I think we have more options than in UK but it too is suffering from lack of doctors and nurses and suffering the after effects of the pandemic.

Fortunately, a lot of the reception staff have been there almost as long and some of them recognise my voice without my even having to say who I am. If our GP is away on leave, we are offered a choice of an alternative doctor which is good because there are a couple I don’t like much.

I am feeling much better today, thank you and OH says he is feeling a little better but not eating at all well.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Help is only an appointment away

Doctor, doctor do tell me please,

Is there anything you can do?

I’m always tired, never calm,

Always washing; cleaning the loo.

x

It’s as if the day’s not my own.

I’m asked this, that and this again

I need to converse, not to moan

Where’s the sunshine? It’s always rain.

x

Used to care, now I’m a carer

When did that happen? On what day?

Was it when my wife’s mind wandered?

And now it’s gone far far away.

x

Her dementia’s driving me mad

Blood pressure up, and sweaty palm

The situation’s beyond sad

Say soothing words to keep me calm.

x

Quick, my other half’s gone to sleep,

In love, at the same time hate her,

Confused and worn. Can make one weep.

Answer phone full, call back later.

x

By Chizz

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Help is only an appointment away

Doctor, doctor do tell me please,

Is there anything you can do?

I’m always tired, never calm,

Always washing; cleaning the loo.

x

It’s as if the day’s not my own.

I’m asked this, that and this again

I need to converse, not to moan

Where’s the sunshine? It’s always rain.

x

Used to care, now I’m a carer

When did that happen? On what day?

Was it when my wife’s mind wandered?

And now it’s gone far far away.

x

Her dementia’s driving me mad

Blood pressure up, and sweaty palm

The situation’s beyond sad

Say soothing words to keep me calm.

x

Quick, my other half’s gone to sleep,

In love, at the same time hate her,

Confused and worn. Can make one weep.

Answer phone full, call back later.

x

By Chizz
So true!🤬

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012
Sorry to hear all this @lawson - I hope you are able to take a break from time to time? So much rain...in an El Ninõ year.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Sorry to hear all this @lawson - I hope you are able to take a break from time to time? So much rain...in an El Ninõ year.
Yes but it is so nice to see the rain.

I haven’t been able to a have break for quite a while really, mainly not because I worry about him but I couldn’t trust him to look after the pets. I had visions of one of the cats being splattered on the road. My last break was about 5 years ago when I met up with my sister in Canberra when The Last Post Ceremony at the War Memorial featured my grandfather.

And partly, it’s my own fault because none of his doctors expected him to live ten years after his cardiac arrest so I had it in the back of my mind that soon, I would be able to get away for a few days. Our GP shakes his head and comments how unbelievably tough OH is.

So I just have to be tough too.

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012
Yes but it is so nice to see the rain.

I haven’t been able to a have break for quite a while really, mainly not because I worry about him but I couldn’t trust him to look after the pets. I had visions of one of the cats being splattered on the road. My last break was about 5 years ago when I met up with my sister in Canberra when The Last Post Ceremony at the War Memorial featured my grandfather.

And partly, it’s my own fault because none of his doctors expected him to live ten years after his cardiac arrest so I had it in the back of my mind that soon, I would be able to get away for a few days. Our GP shakes his head and comments how unbelievably tough OH is.

So I just have to be tough too.
We all have to be tough, even when we don't want to be sadly. I really meant - you are able to take an hour or two, a walk on the beach etc (when you have the energy)?

Sometimes I wonder if there is some reverse ageing syndrome thing with dementia where PWD go on for ever. Or perhaps it just feels like forever.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
We all have to be tough, even when we don't want to be sadly. I really meant - you are able to take an hour or two, a walk on the beach etc (when you have the energy)?

Sometimes I wonder if there is some reverse ageing syndrome thing with dementia where PWD go on for ever. Or perhaps it just feels like forever.
Yes, I do get out. Mostly except when things like COVID mess things up. I am a member of an environmental group and we get together once a week. I also go to a gym run by our medical clinic but my favourite thing is to take the pup to the dog park.

It is so much fun watching them play and the owners always like to chat. Some of the regulars are becoming friends and I think that if you can’t find something to laugh at with the dogs then you are having a really bad day. Of course, some of the dogs get to know each other very well and the meet and greet is usually hilarious.

I had to hose my dog down when we got home today. He was covered in mud, sand and dog slobber, Kinda says it all really!🐶🐕‍🦺🦮🐩

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
I feel as though it's one thing after another too. Last Friday the doctor diagnosed mum with a level of heart failure, causing lots of fluid round the lungs and very swollen legs. Mum now much better, had a lovely evening yesterday making origami butterflies, mum was really doing well following the instructions. Today mum is leaning very heavily to the right, called 111 and they sent an ambulance out. No indication of stroke or infection. Mum can't stand to get to the commode so I've asked the district nurses if they can help tonight. Mum has also started picking at imaginary fluff or something and her speech is odd - sometimes words but not actually saying anything that makes sense and sometimes gibberish words. Just as I thought mum was doing better generally and perhaps we could do more things (day centre has a carol service next Tuesday), she seems to have worsened in a different way. ☹️

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My husband had an appointment today to have his defibrillator checked so last night I dug out the GP’s letter referring him and put it on the dining table, you know the place you always put things so you remember to take them. I told OH that it was there and that we needed to bring it with us.

So a few. minutes before we were due to leave, I went to pick it up. Not there! Hmmmm. I asked OH if he had done anything with it. Who? Me? Don’t know what you‘re talking about! After quite a bit of prodding, he finally thought he might have filed it away somewhere. Panic stations but he finally found it and as we left I put it firmly in his hand.

We found a parking space and instead of waiting for me while I went to feed the parking meter, he headed off. The parking meter wasn’t accepting cash so I had to restart the payment process to pay by card and by this time, there was no sign of him anywhere. First place to look was the doctor’s office and yes, he had already been taken into the surgery.

It seemed to be taking forever but finally he came out. Apparently, when asked for his letter of referral, he didn’t know what that was and NO, he had nothing like that. The poor receptionist had been trying to contact our GP to get a copy of this letter when OH pulled it out of his pocket. I can’t possibly write down here what naughty words were going round in my head.

OH was very quick to point out that I had nothing to get cross about and I need to learn how to stay calm.

Don’t you just love it?

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
At least it showed the receptionist that he definitely has a problem (or two).
Ahhhh! She is the receptionist at the cardiologist’s and has been there for years. The original cardiologist had the personality of a gnat and I think that it might have been contagious because she can be very rude. She’s one of those who calls everyone ‘darling’ when she obviously thinks that they are old and don’t actually have a brain.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
1702550963446.jpeg