A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Best of luck . High frequency loss was William's problem too. He could hear lower tones quite well. I developed a deeper voice as a result of deliberately lowering my tone so he could hear me!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It doesn`t sound very hopeful.

My loss is congenital and I have tried since childhood to get help.

The audiologist said it`s worth trying an aid in one ear but it`s doubtful it will help much if it helps at all. We can forget about the other ear .

A cochlear implant was mentioned but that too is unlikely to work in someone my age, where the workings of the ear have never received any stimulation.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm very jealous,were they impressed?

Oh yes. That doesn't begin to describe it!:) This is one of the photos they shared with me. IMG_2342.JPG

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read about the results of your hearing test Sylvia. Such a shame.

Your day sounds incredible!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Izzy. :)

It was interesting to note how the audiologist`s speech and demeanour towards me changed after my hearing test. Because it has been a problem since birth, I`ve developed strategies for coping and no one realises the severity of the problem until they see the results of a hearing test. [or until they try to talk to me in a car]

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The ant season is here again and I arrived home yesterday to find them crawling all over the kitchen floor. :eek:

I used half a tub of ant powder over the floor and doormat and sprayed with a greasy ant spray and had a very disturbed night dreaming they were crawling throughout the house. I hate them so much, if I`d had anywhere to run I would have gone and left them to it.

When I went into the kitchen this morning, thank goodness there was no sign. I`ve swept up the powder and mopped the floor with bleach , vacuumed the doormat and am keeping everything crossed they will stay outside.

These are the times I feel a absolute wimp .

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh i don't think you're a wimp. I would feel exactly the same.

I've noticed flies appearing recently. I often have the balcony door or the windows open in the apartment and end up with a fly or two buzzing around. I was trying some aromatherapy oils in a burner but I think my electric burner is broken. Flies give me the creeps!

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Sylvia I am right there beside you. I had ants on the drive, by the time I had finished it looked as if we had a snow shower. I then took the powder container back into the garden and was firing it at every individual ant I saw there. No sign of a nest in the garden but definitely one on the drive. I hate those flying ants as well.

Do you remember my problem with flies a couple of years ago. I think I was told they were called cluster flies. For a few days every morning there were hundreds ( no exaggeration) of them all over the windows in the kitchen. Where they came from I don't know but I sprayed fly killer and closed the door. Then I cleared them up did a thorough clean and used bottles of bleach only to have to do it again the next day. Only consolation I had was they were not flying in from outside so they all had clean feet:)

I shudder now thinking of them.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
WE seem to have a `season`. We also have two weeks in the summer when the flying ants are around and woe betide if you hang any washing on the line which is yellow.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Very sandy where I am, so we get red ants as well. I don't hate ants, but I'm more than happy not to see them.
Best sight, a green woodpecker spending ages clearing an ants nest!

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
One of the (many) advantages in having cats is that insects that make their way into the house are soon quickly dispatched.

I loathe and detest all insects. I realize they have their place in the ecology but I just don't want them in my house. I feel anything with more than 4 legs is unnatural and horrible. Let's not talk about spiders!

Status
Not open for further replies.