A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
This is such a,difficult point sylvia. I wish peace and comfort for helen most of all but for all of you.
So difficult to watch and wait, my thoughts with all who are doing so. Xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Izzy.

Martin has a friend with cancer who was sent home from the hospice because he wasn't I'll enough. It's only a 12 bed hospice and he's worried Helen may be sent home. I think because the GP fast tracked Helen it's less probable. I hope so.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
O Sylvia, that is so very sad. I feel for you all, so much. What you are all going through is so very difficult and I can understand Martin wanting to be with Helen while she is still here just as I can appreciate your wanting to do everything you can to make things a little easier for them.
I have to admit that I don't know exactly what a syringe driver does but if it makes Helen's last days more bearable for her, then it will be helpful I'm sure.
My thoughts and prayers are constantly with Helen and all of you who are doing so much to support her. xxxxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh goodness. I hope she's not sent home. That would be even more traumatic for Helen and for you and Martin I would have thought.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Cat and Saffie.

A syringe driver injects a measured cocktail of drugs at regular intervals Saffie so there is no need to swallow.

While I was sitting with Helen she kept being startled. She said she feels her skin is leaving her bones. A while later she asked if I'd touched her feet. I hadn't.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside

A syringe driver injects a measured cocktail of drugs at regular intervals Saffie so there is no need to swallow.

While I was sitting with Helen she kept being startled. She said she feels her skin is leaving her bones. A while later she asked if I'd touched her feet. I hadn't.

FIL kept startling in his last few days Sylvia.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Sylvia, it is awful when you know that in order to feel better, Helen has to go on to heavier drugs. You have been a wonderful friend to them all, but this must be taking a toll on you too. Please take breaks when you can. Love to you all.x.x.

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
so sorry to read this, but its good that Helen could make the decision herself. Take care, thinking of you all at this very difficult time xx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton

Thank you Sylvia.
So really it basically means various drugs being given together via the syringe which is what I thought was what it probably meant - but the driver part means the doses are being regulated. I understand. Of course Dave never reached that stage.
I just hope it makes Helen's last days more bearable. She seems so very aware, it's heartbreaking.
For you too but I know you are holding yourself together for her and that in itself will take its toll, so I hope you are taking time out somehow.
Thank you so much for keeping us close at this time. I'm sure all those here who think of Helen as a friend appreciate it as much as I do. xxxxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Saffie.

I've been sitting with Helen and noticed she is still holding the Rose Quartz crystal egg, even while she's sleeping. :)

Martin is with her now .

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
At this stage I think you and the family will benefit from the practical help with Helen, now all your energy can be channeled in to emotional support for Helen and amongst yourselves.

My love and prayers to you all xx

Auld Lang Syne

Account Closed
Sep 6, 2016
At this stage I think you and the family will benefit from the practical help with Helen, now all your energy can be channeled in to emotional support for Helen and amongst yourselves.

My love and prayers to you all xx

I can only echo the above, Sylvia.

Please don't underestimate the effect this may have on you at some point in the future.

For now, though, it's wonderful that Helen has such love and support for this part of her journey.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

With love

gigi x

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
I've sat for the last hour catching up on this thread after a TP friend text to let me know how poorly Helen now is. I'm absolutely heartbroken so goodness knows how you are all coping. Helen was such an inspiration to me when I joined TP.
Sylvia you too are an inspiration and a wonderful friend to Helen. My heart goes out to you all. I'm wishing you all peace and especially for Helen. Thinking of you all xxxx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
This is extremely sad to read, my heart aches for each of you. Helen is so tuned into her own body and has such a deep thinking sharp mind, it must be painful to witness her awareness. But it has allowed her to make her own decisions as she would have wished.

I do hope the hospice nurses with their experience will recognise the stage Helen is at, as did the GP, and she will not be sent home.

I hope the syringe driver will give Helen the peace she needs - no more injections or medications to swallow. It’s hard to accept Helen is dying. How much more so for you Sylvia, and poor Martin, as well as Mandy and Linda.

No words to convey my depth of feelings and also the gratitude felt for your updates Sylvia, thank you.

Yes this will take its toll of you later but you are probably aware of that. The way you have been there for Helen is wonderful and so beneficial for Helen, and also Martin.

Sorry I am writing too much. In my thoughts, prayers and heart
Love
Loo xxx

Last edited:

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am so very sorry to read your latest posts re Helen.
My heart goes out to you all. Take care of yourself too (words we use so often here on TP for carers :().

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
It's very difficult to read how Helen is and it must be so hard for you all. Xx I hope the evening is restful.

Status
Not open for further replies.