Carers in the Wokingham area

jwpp

Does anyone have experience of a good carer provider in the Woosehill/Wokingham area. Mum lives in sheltered accommodation and has dementia. She needs consistency with the same person or small group of people who she will come to be familiar with and who will come to know her and her needs. It is for a number of visits a week to help with prompting showers and alike, so bordering on personal care. Much prefer an individual who is self-employed rather than dealing with a care company who send someone different around and never give more than a time window of hours, which does not work when mum needs routine. thanks

LadyLouise

I‘ve had luck with free sites care.com (this has a small subscription if you want to contact a prospective carer) and PA pool, where you can find self-employed carers. You can advertise in The Lady classifieds and carers also post their profiles there. You should check references and be shown a current enhanced DBS certificate and proof of carers liability insurancE. It’s advisable to get a template contract that makes it clear they are self-employed. And even though self employed it would be sensible to check they have the right to work in the UK.

TherE are also some sites like Curam Care. The carers are self employed but I believe vetted, and I also believe the platform handles the contract.

You will have to recruit, induct and manage the carers but it gives you more choice and flexibility. Also that you are directly paying the carer, not having a big percentage skimmed off by care agencies.

It can be helpful to book a few trial shifts before making a commitment. It’s ok to be picky and only go with someone who feels right.

As both an employer of carers on behalf of my mother and as a professional self-employed care assistant, I can vouch that it can work well for many families.

Best of luck!