A new low for one my "invisibles"

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
I lost my mum almost 4 weeks ago after a long fight with dementia. I ended up being Mums sole carer before she moved to a care home. One of my sisters caused havoc in our family and caused a rift between my mother and my other sister and her grandchildren. Even though she was banished from Mums life, my sister asked every day how she was and helped me make decisions. She was a great support. Thankfully she reconciled with mum a couple of weeks before she died and Mum knew her and showed she cared.

I organised the funeral on my own as my sister felt this was only appropriate as she had not really seen mum for 3 years. Not her fault. I was not and am still not talking to "the other one" due to the way she treated our Mother. She scammed her for money, i count around £15K, and stopped visiting when she no longer manged her money herself.

For the funeral I mentioned all of the family in the eulogy, in the announcement in the newspaper, made sure she had a formal car etc etc. I had mums ashes mixed with dads and divided into 3, one for each daughter. I gave her her place and considered her as much as was appropriate. I collected mine and my sisters share of the ashes yesterday. The undertaker called "the other one" to tell her and she was there within 5 minutes. She thought they had made a mistake and was getting all of the ashes instead of a portion. She was apparently furious. The undertaker called me as I was worried she would not bother to pick the ashes up.

How can someone be so vindictive? To have lost my parents ashes would have been the final impossible hurt. My father told me where he wanted them scattered. It is the spot where he first saw my Mother. For him it was love at first sight. As the last girl, my father raised me as his son. I am the responsible one, the fixer, the organizer, the strong one, the one who copes.

She has reached a new low. I thought getting a call from A&E when Mum was taken to hospital by ambulance and telling them "I haven't seen my mother for several months, you should call my sister" was bad. She didn't even ask what was wrong. She has stooped to a new low. I wish she had remained "invisible".

A big hug to all those in similar situations. We can chose our friends, but not our family.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh quilty, I am so sorry. Please dont let this thoughtless sister ruin your memories of your parents. You have been magnanimous and treated everyone with great respect - she should have nothing to complain about, but Im afraid that it doesnt stop people.
Put her out of your mind.

TooHard

Sep 16, 2015
First of all, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I've not been using this site for very long but yours was one of the first names I came to look out for and your posts have helped me a lot. I know you cared so much for your mum and that you'll feel her loss sorely.

Can I play devil's advocate with regard to your sister's behaviour when your mum was in A&E? In its own way suggesting that A&E call you rather than her was the 'right' thing for her to do. She gave you your place as your mother's main carer. Perhaps, it was out of badness but it might help you more to think that she was stepping back because you were the right person to deal with them?

However, her behaviour over the ashes was reprehensible! It's impossible for any normal person to work out an alternative reason for her behaviour than just plain nastiness.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
First of all, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I've not been using this site for very long but yours was one of the first names I came to look out for and your posts have helped me a lot. I know you cared so much for your mum and that you'll feel her loss sorely.

Can I play devil's advocate with regard to your sister's behaviour when your mum was in A&E? In its own way suggesting that A&E call you rather than her was the 'right' thing for her to do. She gave you your place as your mother's main carer. Perhaps, it was out of badness but it might help you more to think that she was stepping back because you were the right person to deal with them?

However, her behaviour over the ashes was reprehensible! It's impossible for any normal person to work out an alternative reason for her behaviour than just plain nastiness.

The devil is not quite right, When A&E called I was as she thought at work 40 miles away while she lived locally. I had actually found Mum on the floor and followed the ambulance to the hospital. This was because I was directing work on her house that day. If I had not been due in she would have been on the floor even longer. God was looking out for me that day. My sister only cares about herself. My mum was a bank to her, nothing else.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Oh quilty , just what you don't need (((hugs))) x

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
I wanted others out there, suffering and fuming at their own invisibles to see that some people are just awful and without morals. Only 20% of families pull together.

I cared because I made that choice. For all those still caring every day, most with little or no help I salute you. Look on the bright side. The invisibles could be there in your life making you nuts.

Im surprised my sister is not being haunted by both my parents - they both know the truth now. But then again, maybe she is....

Love quilty

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW

Im glad that my posts have helped you in any way. I have been carried along by the strength and love of so many on this site. I was going to pull back from TP, but it seemed selfish. I will keep looking, posting and trying to help others on their journey.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Oh Quilty, can't people see what agony they heap on others, or don't they care? It's upsetting when it's "friends" who behave like this, but when it's family, the knife goes in up to the hilt.

All I can suggest is that you look in the mirror, and you will see the reflection of a devoted daughter, who did everything, and more, that she could. Who, in spite of the family difficulties, ensured everyone was mentioned in the Eulogy, and the ashes divided so that the offspring could decide what they each, individually, wished to do.

You treated her as an equal, with regards to the announcement, the car etc, and could have done no more. And you have been left to arrange everything, which you did efficiently and well.

And you know what I think? Your sister is jealous of you, because of the way you cope, and would secretly like to be like you, but knows she can't, so instead she distresses you, because she knows she can, and that's bullying.

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this pain at such a sad time xxx

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Im glad that my posts have helped you in any way. I have been carried along by the strength and love of so many on this site. I was going to pull back from TP, but it seemed selfish. I will keep looking, posting and trying to help others on their journey.

I'm pleased you are sticking around :D

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Its ok i already have one thanks. And a very sweet and lovely granny-in-law who is 94.

Oh Quilty I am so sorry love. Please remember you were always there for your Mum and Dad and did your very best for them. Am sure they appreciated you being such a great daughter. I believe that they are now looking after you.

Your sister's behaviour is awful. Lord love you. I cant figure out families sometimes. Why some dont listen, help, support I dont know. It is painful, hurtful and totally aggravating. I have to try to block some things out of my mind. Not successfully and then they can appear out of no where with more aggravation.

Your Gran in Law sound lovely. Bet she thinks the world of you,

Love and support,

Aisling xx

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
My wee granny in law is a very special lady. I am the only female in law on my hasbands side of the family - imagine that one ladies! Gran has been wonderful from day 1. On my wedding day she told me to keep a purse for myself and a purse for the house, and make sure my husband did not turn into his father! I never had a granny so its been lovely for the last 35 years! Sometimes you do pick your family!

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
She also said young people should "try before they buy as marriage is hard work". We are catholic and lived together before marrying so we were sure. My mil had the church a fire hazard lighting candles for my eternal soul. Gran was so cool about the whole thing.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
She also said young people should "try before they buy as marriage is hard work". We are catholic and lived together before marrying so we were sure. My mil had the church a fire hazard lighting candles for my eternal soul. Gran was so cool about the whole thing.

Hahahahahahahahaha

Oh my , my OH and me arnt married:D we are still trying before we buy :D

TooHard

Sep 16, 2015
I wanted others out there, suffering and fuming at their own invisibles to see that some people are just awful and without morals. Only 20% of families pull together.

Love quilty

I so agree with you. Because I'm the most available sibling I've done more than the others (not boasting...it's just how it is) but the stress caused by comments that appear to question my motives or actions by people who obviously know better than me despite not being around have upset me as much as mum's condition!

TooHard

Sep 16, 2015

This made me laugh. We seem to have had similar experiences (I'm Glaswegian and married into an Irish Catholic family). These wee grannies are great. My late MiL had no daughters and I was the first of her boys' girlfriends so she just adopted me - even after her son and I divorced! I miss her a lot.