A lifelong friend and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Sorry to hear you did not have a good night.
When the estate agent came to view Mum’s house last week. I went in the garden whilst they walked around and then we chatted in the garden.
I hope you are able to get a window visit with your Mum

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Sorry about the **** night @Palerider. When we put mum's flat on the market she was still living there. She'd agreed to move nearer my brother and was quite happy at the idea. When the estate agent came round the place was a bit of a tip as mum couldn't see to clean properly and there were a few things that were a bit broken. I discretely said something about making sure it was cleaner and tidier before they showed people round, but she said it was fine in the state it was. Talk to the estate agent about what are the best things to do to ensure a sale, they'll know what works. Hope it all goes well.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Sorry about the **** night @Palerider. When we put mum's flat on the market she was still living there. She'd agreed to move nearer my brother and was quite happy at the idea. When the estate agent came round the place was a bit of a tip as mum couldn't see to clean properly and there were a few things that were a bit broken. I discretely said something about making sure it was cleaner and tidier before they showed people round, but she said it was fine in the state it was. Talk to the estate agent about what are the best things to do to ensure a sale, they'll know what works. Hope it all goes well.

Thanks @Sarasa, the house is in generally good condition but a mess inside at the mo due to sorting through stuff, so she will see that it is a matter of tidying and a splash of paint here and there if she thinks it will help. I have already discussed the kitchen which will need renewing for the new owners. An hour to go and have found the LPA -phew

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Sorry to hear you did not have a good night.
When the estate agent came to view Mum’s house last week. I went in the garden whilst they walked around and then we chatted in the garden.
I hope you are able to get a window visit with your Mum

Hmm I am planning on drinking coffee and waiting till she has viewed on her own. This area is quite pricy so will be interesting to see if she hits the figure I think it will sell for (adjusted for the need of a new kitchen)

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Just thinking while I wait how I hope this all goes smoothly. Selling the house is the last big job in sorting mums affairs and I'll be glad when its done and mum has the money in her account -which will be a relief.

realised I'm hungry -too late for sausage butties now!

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I hope it goes smoothly for you too, Mums first buyers pulled out due to ill health at the very last minute but then a young couple bought bungalow . I read last night that since the lockdown buyers priorities have changed and it’s now the garden that is most important , fingers crossed for a speedy smooth transaction. Sausage sarnie absolutely compulsory on a weekend ! Enjoy

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Right guys its done. The price was at the bottom end of what I will accept and also expected and I need to sell this place quickly to stop the interest -so will mull over it and come to a decision

Now where are those sausages I'm starvin ?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Palerider , if it's at the low end for the area you might get a few people interested and a bit of a bidding war going. Have you any other estate agents coming round as they might think differently about price.
Needing a new kitchen shouldn't put people off. We'd much rather buy somewhere where we need to replace the kitchen than somewhere where the kitchen is new but not to our taste.
Good luck with it all, and with finding somewhere for you to live too.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hi @Palerider , if it's at the low end for the area you might get a few people interested and a bit of a bidding war going. Have you any other estate agents coming round as they might think differently about price.
Needing a new kitchen shouldn't put people off. We'd much rather buy somewhere where we need to replace the kitchen than somewhere where the kitchen is new but not to our taste.
Good luck with it all, and with finding somewhere for you to live too.

Another agent has give a slightly higher figure, so it's basically where I thought it would be (round about) ...just need one more and then take the average as a most likely offer price -but as always it can be unpredictable

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
The housing market is very volatile at the moment, as you might expect, due to covid.

I've heard various theories put forward about the factors that will affect the near future, including these:

Many people with a mortgage have lost (or will lose) their jobs and may have to move to rented property or downsize as a result. This could leave bigger/pricier properties unsold or losing value but there may be increased demand for smaller properties.
A lot of people forced to sell will lower prices and create a buyers market.
Since lockdown, people are looking for properties with decent gardens/outdoor space, and more rural properties for those who are able to work from home but want somewhere more suitable than their current place in the city.

But I guess no one really knows for sure.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
The housing market is very volatile at the moment, as you might expect, due to covid.

I've heard various theories put forward about the factors that will affect the near future, including these:

Many people with a mortgage have lost (or will lose) their jobs and may have to move to rented property or downsize as a result. This could leave bigger/pricier properties unsold or losing value but there may be increased demand for smaller properties.
A lot of people forced to sell will lower prices and create a buyers market.
Since lockdown, people are looking for properties with decent gardens/outdoor space, and more rural properties for those who are able to work from home but want somewhere more suitable than their current place in the city.

But I guess no one really knows for sure.

Thanks @Jaded'n'faded I have read this myself about more rural living and better gardens -which makes mums property appealing to those in that category and with a lower price it might just actually go for slightly more in the end if people seriously want to buy it for those reasons and its in a prime position for working from home and nipping in to the city if need be.

What I don't want are people that mess about as it has to be sold (sadly) and I have made that clear to the estate agents. For my sake as well as mums -the never ending house sale is not a good prospect....fingers and legs and toes crossed

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Thanks @Jaded'n'faded I have read this myself about more rural living and better gardens -which makes mums property appealing to those in that category and with a lower price it might just actually go for slightly more in the end if people seriously want to buy it for those reasons and its in a prime position for working from home and nipping in to the city if need be.

What I don't want are people that mess about as it has to be sold (sadly) and I have made that clear to the estate agents. For my sake as well as mums -the never ending house sale is not a good prospect....fingers and legs and toes crossed
My house went on the market at the end of February (I'm in the south east ) and we had a few viewings before the lockdown . Nothing happened in lockdown obviously, but since restrictions have been eased ,there has been a very different way to view.
I was worried about time wasters , but the estate agents have put in more screening for buyers and no groups are allowed to view. Before the lockdown we had whole families arriving, but now we had only one person today. The agents said that we could refuse entry to anyone who
wasn't complying with face masks for example. The lady who arrived today was masked and gloved. We had masks and my husband stood in the garden while I showed the buyer around. The agent said that they would try and weed out time wasters by finding out if the buyer had a property to sell and with whom, or if not they had to undertake a financial assessment. Ultimately it was our decision if we were prepared to let people view if the agents were not happy with their answers to finances.

We had to agree to leave all doors open and we cleaned up both before and after the visit although the lady hadn't touched anything other than the doorbell. Interestingly, this lady was looking for bigger rooms to turn into a home office after working from home for so long. The problem for us as we want to move to another part of the country is that with no overnight stays and no hotels open we can't view anywhere anyway.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My house went on the market at the end of February (I'm in the south east ) and we had a few viewings before the lockdown . Nothing happened in lockdown obviously, but since restrictions have been eased ,there has been a very different way to view.
I was worried about time wasters , but the estate agents have put in more screening for buyers and no groups are allowed to view. Before the lockdown we had whole families arriving, but now we had only one person today. The agents said that we could refuse entry to anyone who
wasn't complying with face masks for example. The lady who arrived today was masked and gloved. We had masks and my husband stood in the garden while I showed the buyer around. The agent said that they would try and weed out time wasters by finding out if the buyer had a property to sell and with whom, or if not they had to undertake a financial assessment. Ultimately it was our decision if we were prepared to let people view if the agents were not happy with their answers to finances.

We had to agree to leave all doors open and we cleaned up both before and after the visit although the lady hadn't touched anything other than the doorbell. Interestingly, this lady was looking for bigger rooms to turn into a home office after working from home for so long. The problem for us as we want to move to another part of the country is that with no overnight stays and no hotels open we can't view anywhere anyway.

Thanks @Rosettastone57 one estate agent has assured me they are vetting and only interested in serious buyers at the moment so thats a bonus. If I had the time I would be more laid back about matters, but I have six months left to sell before the equity release company start getting tetchy so its important that serious buyers are filtered out.

I've used my ask an audience option (freinds with experience) and the range of asking price has become wide, but given I have six months I also have to be realistic but am close to figure I think is a good starting point.

Same with everyting else in terms of Covid-19 and house viewing here as well

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Did you get any progress on arranging a visit to see your Mum?
Sausage butties are suitable for breakfast, brunch, lunch, tea and supper in my opinion.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Did you get any progress on arranging a visit to see your Mum?
Sausage butties are suitable for breakfast, brunch, lunch, tea and supper in my opinion.

No visiting yet @Bikerbeth but I am told they are looking into it. Mum is the same no change, so I am hoping I can get to see her soont -would be fab if allowed

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Woke early again. I'm getting headaches from muscualr tension in my neck and shoulders as well which is rather unpleasant.

Yesterday was productive day and I still haven't come to a decision on the final asking price despite sleeping on it, but have had some good advice and found an excellent home owners site that recommends starting at between 5% and 10% on top of the least that I will accept so I have arrived at round about near the price (which I had already pretty much guestimated). Just waiting for another agent to visit on Tuesday.

Today I am taking stuff to the storage place which is the worse part of this as it marks the end of era more than anything else and I still wish mum was here. I was a bit annoyed that I can't still visit, but it is what it is and besides they couldn't have got mum downstairs like they have before as she is more frail and doesn't like been moved around as much which makes it harder to see her. I know she is still content and not distressed and that is the best I can hope for in the situation -but it doesn't make it any easier.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Palerider

It`s a hard time emptying a home when your mother is still living. I took an unpaid week off work to get my mother`s house sorted. All the things she treasured were being allocated to sharing, keeping, sending to charity shops or putting in the bin and while I was doing so, I kept looking over my shoulder as if she would walk in at any minute.

My mother went into residential care in 1996 and I can remember the feeling as if it was yesterday so `i do understand why you are sleeping so restlessly.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I hope today goes ok for you ? . I went straight in at the top end price for mums and the first buyers offered that ,they had to pull out and every other potential buyer knocked me down , it sold again and I had dropped the price by £15k but I guess we are in a different environment now. keeping fingers crossed for you . It’s a nuisance about your neck pain and subsequent lack of sleep but understand able .

Status
Not open for further replies.