A lifelong friend and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Right I'm warming up ready for the sprint of house clearing -need to be careful don't want any cramps or injuries at this stage.

Managed to get a locksmith to come and sort the front door lock out tomorrow. How mum broke it I will never know!:rolleyes:

The garden clearance guys are coming next week and I have found house cleaners -fantastic ....I wonder if they do ironing?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Well you can’t rush these things and you need to have a plan of action , so you can be thinking of the plan whilst eating ice cream . I’m glad you have set the wheels in motion, are you going to be looking for somewhere to buy too ?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Day 2 of house clearance

Up at 04:40, but I did actually sleep and no headache. Waiting for the locksmith to come so I can open the front door and access the skip more easily. One bed is already dismantled (it broke anyway) so will be the first lot in plus piles of items mum had insisted putting outside the backdoor including some of my shoes (don't ask!) :(

The sky is grey and looking like rain, which happened the last time a cleared dads stuff which also incorporated the use of a skip :rolleyes: -but I am glad it did it, otherise there would me more stuff to get through and dad had a lot of stuff!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Well you can’t rush these things and you need to have a plan of action , so you can be thinking of the plan whilst eating ice cream . I’m glad you have set the wheels in motion, are you going to be looking for somewhere to buy too ?

Yes eating ice crean is conducive to mustering a plan of action and very important after major breakthourghs in the day!

I won't be able to purchase a property as this is mums money and it will have to go into her account and remain there until she either needs it or inevitably passes away :(. From there her last Will and Testament will determine what happens to it. I know I am sole executor, but I had asked mum not to tell me what is in the Will -so its an unknown for now and best that way to be honest.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
You certainly are having an early start so remember to pace yourself and make sure you have time later to relax and eat more ice cream. Hope the skip fills nicely and you have less empty boxes this evening. I am heading to Mum’s today to start to pack up ‘rubbish’ and ‘charity shop’

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
You certainly are having an early start so remember to pace yourself and make sure you have time later to relax and eat more ice cream. Hope the skip fills nicely and you have less empty boxes this evening. I am heading to Mum’s today to start to pack up ‘rubbish’ and ‘charity shop’
I didn't know the charity shops had opened -do you know which ones?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Well I have found a recycle company locally that will take all of mums bedroom furniture and bed so I am relieved, however they are coming tomorrow morning so best pack mums stuff away PDQ

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Glad you found a company to take your mum's bedroom furniture. Hope you have a nice treat or two lined up for when it's sorted.
I volunteer in a charity bookshop. We're probably back next week to sort the place out, but won't open to the public till the week after. We'll have rules around quarantining donations which will be tricky as we have very little space as it is. One of the people I volunteer with also has a paid job with another local charity. I think they may be accepting donations at set times, but not opening their shops yet. Anything you were going to charity shop maybe phone to check, also ask what they will take. Some take things like duvets and some don't.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Our age uk have posted online that they are now taking donations at certain times. If you check facebook page for your local one or maybe look online at charity you’d like to donate stuff to there’ll probably be an announcement about donations. Good luck clearing x

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thanks guys

The locksmith has been, he reckons mum had been using the wrong key and flipped the lock cover over (??) -anyway job done in five mins, a bit annoying but better than me doing it and ending up needing a new front door :rolleyes:. Moral of the tale don't let your pwd have access to the wrong keys !

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Well I've hit a low ebb tidying mums room ready for the furniture collection tomorrow :( Its a real struggle to continue but I need to push on with it now. Found lots of things that were quite emotional and quickly packed them up. I have finally decided its time to eat and have some beers so will stop for a while and then start again later

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Still emptying mums wardrobes -she has such beautiful clothes, many not worn for some time and some brand new not touched -such a shame to take them to the charity shop but she has enough in the CH for her needs. I don't think mum could ever complain that she didn't have enough clothes!

Last edited:

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Well that certainly was a long day but well done for pushing on even after a few beers. I hope tomorrow - well today now is productive too and the furniture collection goes smoothly.
It is sad about the clothes though- I know what you mean.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Well that certainly was a long day but well done for pushing on even after a few beers. I hope tomorrow - well today now is productive too and the furniture collection goes smoothly.
It is sad about the clothes though- I know what you mean.

Thanks,

It still isn't finished so just having my usual morning coffee and will back upstairs finishing it off before the recycle guys get here. Busy day as the estate agent is coming to measure up as well at 09:30 -can't say I look my best at the mo, but it will have to do until I get to the end of mums never ending clothes.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I hope you don’t mind me asking. The people collecting the furniture - is it only wardrobes etc or sofa and beds too. Mum’s sofa and chairs are in are good condition but no fire labels so we did not know if anyone would take them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trey0407