A lifelong friend and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Brilliant to hear you heard Mums voice and she knew it was you , maybe over a tad quick , hope it had given you a boost to the spirits , glad the patches are helping . Take care .

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thanks everyone

Just hearing mums voice was a real uplift and she sounded ok and content, so that makes me feel much better although short lived.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Nearly time for the daily commute. Got a phone call Sunday evening another resident had pushed mum over onto her left side. Mum is walking and weight baring again but have been waiting for another phone call to say that has changed -? hip fracture, so far no bad news.

Just as things pick up, something else comes along to bring us back down :rolleyes:.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Well mum must be ok, no phone calls to tell me she has a broken hip -thank God!

Today I was off shopping and slipped into memory lane as I drove down the country lanes, dodging the cyclists. The sun shining and for a moment mum was sat next to me chuckling and reading the signs and admiring the fact that people still cycle. Looking out to the fields, spotting the birds and watching the horses as we drive past. Stop for coffee and cake and then as we hit the main road mum asks having read the sign 'are we going to Chester?' -no mum wer're just going to do the shopping......'oh lovely'

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @Palerider, I was wondering how you were faring. Good news about your Mum. Do you think they will be able to get her on the 'phone for you again?

Yes, I totally understand the trips down memory lane, especially in the current situation. I always find them rather bittersweet, if that makes sense - a warming comforting memory but with a sense of loss or longing for that time. The greatest sense that could ever be afforded to anyone is to know when you are experiencing, what you will refer to in the years to come, the good old days.

I hope you are doing okay. All the best.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hi @Palerider, I was wondering how you were faring. Good news about your Mum. Do you think they will be able to get her on the 'phone for you again?

Yes, I totally understand the trips down memory lane, especially in the current situation. I always find them rather bittersweet, if that makes sense - a warming comforting memory but with a sense of loss or longing for that time. The greatest sense that could ever be afforded to anyone is to know when you are experiencing, what you will refer to in the years to come, the good old days.

I hope you are doing okay. All the best.

I am soldiering on like everyone else @Pete1. Yes I often have those little moments when in the car, funny isn't it how we can have those flashbacks and smile fondly for a short while.

I will be calling later today as I don't call everyday so we shall see if mum will again say hello and then press the wrong buttons :rolleyes:. I'm in a better space knowing she is better than I was assuming, but I don't have much to add currently until I get an update on how things are in the care home world.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Its a shame they can't get some ear buds, which what I did for Mum to speak to my sibling. Although admittedly that had a short 'shelf-life' as she ended up trying to pull them from her ears, as obviously they felt funny. I hope you can speak to Mum. All the best.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hmmm the lockdown is affecting my sleep patterns, I seem to be rising earlier and earlier. Tempted to call the care home but I'm sure the night staff at this stage of their shift will be chomping at the bit to get jobs done and go home. So I called anyway -yup. Mum is still wandering, but slept from midnight till about 5am and then got up and had a hot drink and then fell asleep again in her chair, the night before that she wandered all night long bless her. No signs of infection and they have had a faulty thermometer :rolleyes:. What mum needs is a spin in the car to perk her up, but as thats not going to happen I am delivering another care home lockdown rescue parcel -oh yes - chocolate, cake and limonata ?

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Yes I wish I could take my Mum out too. I had assumed the CH would not really accept parcels from relatives but based on your comments I will ask what I can send in without it adding to anyone’s work load. Glad to hear that your Mum is not showing any signs of an infection even with a dodgy thermometer.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
The rescue package sounds lovely :) I’m sure it will be gratefully received and consumed . In a way it feels slightly reassuring that she is wandering , know that sounds daft but that is what she was doing so she sounds relatively ok. My sleep patterns has completely gone to the wall ! Take care of you .

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I’ve been sending things in @Bikerbeth , either direct from a company or dropped off by me. They have a table in the lobby between the street and reception. I guess they leave things there for a bit first to minimise risk. Mum
Certainly got the flowers I sent as I’ve seen the photos.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
It sounds as though Mum is content in her own little world @Palerider ?

It must be painful for you all not to be able to visit - feel for you good people.

Yes, ditto on the sleeping patterns, up a couple of times at 4.00am in the last week!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Yes I wish I could take my Mum out too. I had assumed the CH would not really accept parcels from relatives but based on your comments I will ask what I can send in without it adding to anyone’s work load. Glad to hear that your Mum is not showing any signs of an infection even with a dodgy thermometer.

Yes I miss taking her out and seeing the smile on her face as we drive round -she loves being out and about (child locks on of course). I don't see why they can't accept parcels -but it seems some care home managers are over reacting -I'd have a word.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
It sounds as though Mum is content in her own little world @Palerider ?

It must be painful for you all not to be able to visit - feel for you good people.

Yes, ditto on the sleeping patterns, up a couple of times at 4.00am in the last week!

Hmm, up again extra early. Yes she is content in her bubble -hoping it stays that way

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I’ve been sending things in @Bikerbeth , either direct from a company or dropped off by me. They have a table in the lobby between the street and reception. I guess they leave things there for a bit first to minimise risk. Mum
Certainly got the flowers I sent as I’ve seen the photos.

Lovely, I thought about flowers, but chocolate was a better idea as mum has lost weight.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Right today I am taking the care home lockdown rescue parcel now to be shortened to CHLRP (its rather a lengthy phrase). I didn't get to go yesterday as the neighbours kindly cut the hedge and bushes in the front garden while I cleaned and valetted my car at the back and did a few other outstanding jobs.

Later I will be weeding the front and putting weedkiller down to control the little buggers -don't want them seeding and spreading more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trey0407