A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
A couple of weeks ago when Dhiren had a chest infection it was also reported he had blood in his stools. He had been examined by the GP who said it was nothing to worry about but asked staff to remain observant.

There has been no further sign.

This morning I got a letter from the GP. He had been trying to contact me but failed. Of course he failed I was at the home.

The letter stated ;

I called to see your husband as he was unwell. He also had a little bit of bleeding. I did want to discuss his case with you so we can plan the best course of action for him.

I phoned the surgery and have a telephone consultation next Tuesday. It is the earliest they could give me.

When I arrived at the home and told them, they were cross. The surgery had phoned the home for my address. When the manager asked what it was about, she was told it was confidential . Can you believe it?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
For goodness sake that is ridiculous Sylvia. No wonder they were cross.

What a shame you can't get a consultation before then.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
An update on the dressing and undressing problem due to limb stiffening.

I was discussing ways round this with the assistant manager and it transpired Dhiren found undressing more stressful when he was tired.

I suggested he is allowed to sleep in the polo shirts he is now wearing. They are so similar to pyjama tops and would present no hygiene hazard.
It was a new idea and discussed with all staff who accepted it in Dhiren`s best interests to reduce distress.

As long as he is regularly changed below the waist, he will come to no harm.
Such a simple solution now that you have come up with it. Often doing less, not more, solves problems...I must remember that when I get agitated by husband misplacing things in the kitchen. It really isn't such a big deal....

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I phoned the surgery and have a telephone consultation next Tuesday. It is the earliest they could give me.
What a shame you can't just meet with the Dr when he visits the home, Sylvia.
That's what I do if I want to speak to her I tell the nurse, the nurse tells the Dr and I make sure I'm there when she next comes. Simples!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don't think there's any urgency now I've had time to think. I just think the GP is following standard practice and possibly watching his back at the same time.

I've just had a little giggle to myself imagining the latest fashion in nightwear for men in care homes. :)

Glad you all approve.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm glad you are not sitting there worrying Sylvia. It probably is procedure being followed . It seems a shame they couldn't communicate with the nurse in the nursing home though. That would have been sensible I would have thought.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I had a telephone consultation today with Dhiren`s GP .

He is new to Dhiren and wanted to know how he was since his last visit and how I felt about intervention should the need arise.

This was brought on because of some blood in Dhiren`s stools a few weeks ago. Fortunately, there hasn`t been a repeat.

I told him I didn`t want any invasive intervention at this stage but did want any action taken to keep Dhiren pain free and comfortable should the need arise. He thought it was the most sensible decision.

So now it`s official.

I told him I am happy for everything concerning Dhiren`s health and well being to be discussed with the senior care home staff. He said those instructions were on the computer. So it looks like some `jobs worth` was throwing their weight around when they refused to discuss their query with the home on grounds of `confidentiality`.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm glad you've had that concern settled Sylvia. I'm sure it must have been playing on your mind. Yes, I would go for painfree and comofrtable too.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren is on antibiotics yet again.

No one is sure whether he has a legacy from the last chest infection or has started with a new one.

The staff were vigilant as usual, heard rattly breathing and the GP came out today. apparently the `rattle` is on his left side, the same side which causes problems when he is being dressed and undressed.

I`m not upset because he seems absolutely fine.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It seems never ending with these chest infections. Dhiren and Bill seem to have been on and off antibiotics for such ainv time. I hope Dhiren responds well to these ones. x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Izzy.

Like Bill, Dhiren had a good run but now the infections just don`t seem to clear completely.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren seemed absolutely fine today and I had no cause for concern. Then I was told the GP called unexpectedly to check his chest. He still has a ' rattle' and is on yet another course of antibiotics.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I'm ok thanks 2jays.

I only get upset when Dhiren is unhappy , uncomfortable or in pain. Today he was none of those so I'm ok. :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Sylvia! Our husbands and their antibiotics/infections!!! Hope Dhiren responds quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.