A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am so sorry Sylvia. Lets hope it is a temporary thing but you know only too well that Dhiren has changed considerably over the years. There have been some changes at the home and although they are beneficial it may be adding to Dhiren's confusion.

With the present news re Madeleine McCann I remember only too clearly how worried Dhiren was about her when she first went missing. I wonder how much he will recall if he hears the news now :confused:.

One certainty is how Dhiren welcomes all the wonderful snacks you take in. Also you know he is well looked after by the staff for whom you have a high regard.

None of these words will take away the worry; wish they could.
xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks everyone.

I'm with him now and he keeps trying to tell me something but the words aren't there. I have reassured him he mustn't worry about anything, I'll make sure everything is all right and he smiles for a second then becomes anxious again.

Thank goodness he can still understand what I say.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Dear Sylvia, can only say that my thoughts are with you, so very difficult for Dhiren trying to say what he thinks, and you understanding, so hard for both of you, can only hope and pray that tomorrow will be a bit better.
Take care - Chris x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Sylvia. I'm so sorry to hear this. I know Bill's language skills are deteriorating so can empathise. Thinking of you both. xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Sylvia,

I can imagine the emotions you may be experiencing. I can only say i think it may be too soon to put it down to a progression of the disease. There are so many bugs going round at the moment. You had that cold, i had that lethargy and signs of a cold that never developed. It is very possible that Dhiren has the slightest of a bug but with dementia it can have quite severe effects. The same with me having a compromised immune system. That may well be the reason i felt it beyond that which i would have thought 'normal'.

I also know nothing can convince other than experience. I do sincerely hope that you have the experience of Dhiren as he has been for a really significant period of time. I will hope for at least another 4 to 6 weeks.

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think there`s something really different this time Helen. Thanks anyway.

Thank you winda, Izzy and Chris.

Winda I had to type your name about 6 times. The flipping predictive text kept changing it to wind. :)

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Sylvia, I've not been visiting recently....house move from hell etc, so I've missed this latest downturn. My friend, if, as I really hope, this is a temporary glitch, things should settle soon however if it is more than that,I'm sure that your friends and family support system will be there to help as much as they can. Look after yourself, love Maureen.x..x.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dear Sylvia

I am sorry to read about Dhiren and can imagine your concerns and worries. The decline in speech makes it so much more difficult. I had a somewhat similar experience on Saturday, something causing Henry anxiety but his speech so poor I couldn't identify what it was, could only try to sooth and reassure him.

You can only wait and see... and may well find that this does pass. Yes progression is inevitable, and Henry's has been significant. Yet even with progression his 'mood changes' can be up and down like a yo-yo.

Times when he has something on his mind, is upset, but can't articulate it. Then after a week or two he settles again, is relaxed and content.

It is true that ' the only predictabe thing about dementia is its unpredictability.'

I realise none of this will help, Sylvia, your concerns, worries will continue, as mine do with changes. I just hope that Dhiren's present mood does swing back again and he becomes more settled.

Loo xx

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
I`ve just found out when Paul visited Dhiren while I was away last week he was very tearful. This coupled with his troubled and confused demeanour on my visits makes me wonder what is happening.

I know his language is almost gone, apart from several stock phrases, and he is now unable to make his needs known. It`s worrying. I need to spend more time with him.

I'm so sorry that Dhiren's linguistic abilities seem to have taken a downturn - especially hard when you have been away and also not been well. Even if the words don't come back, I hope that you'll find other ways to understand what he's worried about, or needs. I'm sure you will - you are so completely attuned to his care. When Mum's speech became scrambled somehow we still understood, even the abstract things that she was trying to say. I couldn't explain it - it was almost like osmosis! - but it definitely worked.

Hope you feel much better soon too. x

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
Hi Sylvia
I've only just come across your recent post. Not sure why but threads appear, they seem to have been there a couple of days, but I have not seen them. It may be the time difference.
I'm so sorry to hear about Dhiren, you are so in tune with him and his needs I'm sure you will be able to continue to communicate with him.
It must be such a worry though.

Hugs...

Kim xxxxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you again. It is heartwarming to read so many supportive posts.

Dhiren is not talking in an unintelligible way, he is just struggling to say something , then stopping, almost as if he knows he can`t make himself understood, so gives up. I think this is what makes me sad for him. It`s as if he knows.

It can`t be helped. He has had a slow progression and we`ve had a good run, especially since he`s been in residential care.

I`ll just have to learn to live with it like everyone else does.

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
It can`t be helped. He has had a slow progression and we`ve had a good run, especially since he`s been in residential care.

I`ll just have to learn to live with it like everyone else does.

Hi Sylvia

It is so very sad when the words are there, but they can't find their way out.

I do hope that Dhiren hasn't had a significant deteriation, although it is enevitable, it is so sad. If it is the next stage, you will handle it like you have dealt with each stage before now.

Take care

Xx

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
I remember this only too well with Vic and all you can do is be there. I spent many hours each day just talking to him and holding his hand(which he loved) and Sylvia make the most of the few words that do come out every now and then. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.