A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
A new manager started at the home in July. The third since Dhiren has been there. In a very short time she is making a good home even better.

The last few times I`ve visited, I`ve found different carers sitting with Dhiren, engaging with him.
Today, it was the new manager.
As I walked in he looked at me, smiled in surprise and said `Hello!` a strong and cheerful greeting.
The manager told me carers must take time to sit with him , talk with him and give him some stimulation every day as part of his care plan.
It certainly seems to be having a positive effect, he was all smiles today and very pleased with himself.

He has some new polo shirts and staff comment on them, telling him how smart he looks. I took another couple today and sewed the name tapes on while I was there. He likes his name on his clothes, it helps him know they are his.

One resident who has sat next to Dhiren every day for three and a half years is now on palliative care having had unsuccessful cancer surgery. He has no family so will stay where he is, rather than in a Hospice, so he can spend his final days/weeks among those who know him. Hospice nurses will visit daily and the home has a 24 hour emergency hospice number to phone if necessary.
Needless to say it comforts me to see this.

Empty rooms are being decorated and re furnished ready for new residents. Staff have new uniforms. They are pleased with them, like the colours , are happy the colours are graded for different levels of seniority and feel it makes them look and feel more professional.

I have always been pleased with this home. Today I was excited.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Wow. Sounds really good. A shame about the resident who is on palliative care but good he is among friends.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
This is such good news ; so pleased for you both and all the residents. It's encouraging for us all to hear about a really good home with enthusiastic Carers.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I am so pleased for Dhiren because something is having a very good effect on him. It is also good to hear that a very good care home can become an even better care home.

The resident on palliative care is amongst a people who truly care for him and so it is like he is within the nearest thing to a family. I am so glad he is allowed to end his days in familiar surroundings.

Love

Sunbell

Jul 29, 2010
Yorkshire, England
What a lovely post to read Grannie G. It sounds so homely, it must be extremely comforting for you knowing that Dhiren is cared for so well and is getting the 'personal touch' by the carers being able to sit with him each day and this is having a positive effect.

I am so pleased for you both, take care and hope you have many more happy visits:)

Love Sunbell xx

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Sounds great Sylvia, I am pleased it is having a positive affect on Dhiren it is lovely to hear of things going well and all the changes for the better,

Jeany xx

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
What a strange visit fir you Sylvia.

I never thought about the moon. Bill was restless too. We always used to say the school children were more restless at a full moon.

I do hope he settled soon. x

Seriously I have an Avon customer whose mother has got Alzheimer's and she swears her mother is unbearable around a full moon.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
A strange visit today.

Dhiren looked confused and troubled.

He was speaking either Hindi or Bengali.

I told him he needed to speak English because I couldn`t understand him and asked `Are you speaking Hindi or Bengali?`
A look of recognition passed over his face and he smiled, raised his eyebrows and looked to the ceiling. He spoke and included one recognisable word, `Bengali`.

But he was unable to translate to English.

And it continued during the whole visit. He talked. I didn`t understand. He knew I didn`t understand but could do nothing about it.

His co resident J has had major cancer surgery on his ear. It has caused facial nerve damage which has affected his speech, which is now unintelligible.

Dhiren and J have sat side by side for over three years and today was no different.

They still sat side by side , still spoke to each other and still seemed to understand each other even though Dhiren was speaking in Bengali and Jim was making his unintelligible sounds.

On top of that, it was a full moon yesterday. Dhiren has always been affected by the phases of the moon. I`ll wait with interest to see what happens.

My dog, and a friend's dog both had seizures, noticeably more frequent at the time of a full moon. Perhaps there's a link with the phases of the moon and something about the brain, in all creatures. There's so much we don't yet know.

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
Hi Sylvia

I've just caught up with your posts. Lovely picture of Dhiren and it's always lovely to hear about the good carehomes and Dhiren's sounds very caring.
Dibs (Deborah) x :):)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks everyone for being so supportive.

One tiny fly in the ointment. Dhiren`s new alertness caused him to ask what time was the train and when were we going home.

I was relieved the old strategy still worked. `We`ll be going at 5 o`clock` and by then he was either dozing or had forgotten.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dhiren's home sounds truly lovely, all you could wish for and no wonder you felt excited. Wonderful to see different carers sitting with him.

It must be so good to see things become even better with this new manager. To see Dhiren benefit.

I hope the 'going home' soon again recedes....

Loo xx

Status
Not open for further replies.