A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Old habits die hard.
Dhiren has always hated the dentist. I have had to have quite a lot of dental treatment. I had an afternoon appointment so visited before lunch. I told him I would be leaving early because I had to go to the dentist.
`You go. I`ll stay here, ` he said. :)

And the latest…………….He is now feeding himself again after being fed for ages.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Old habits die hard.
Dhiren has always hated the dentist. I have had to have quite a lot of dental treatment. I had an afternoon appointment so visited before lunch. I told him I would be leaving early because I had to go to the dentist.
`You go. I`ll stay here, ` he said. :)

And the latest…………….He is now feeding himself again after being fed for ages.

They never cease to amaze us, do they?

Helen xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I think it is very noteworthy at how alert Dhiren has been for quite a few weeks now. I am glad it hasn't been a flash in the pan followed by a downturn. It may be no coincidence that this has come about since the new manageress. I am sure you were completely satisfied with the level of contentedness that Dhiren has had at the home for more than 2 years now. I bet it was beyond hope to imagine Dhiren becoming so very alert. It is wonderful. It is now quieter in his sitting room and that might be another factor. As for feeding himself after all this time!!!?? It beggars belief but it is so good to know that this can happen so that others might have hope.

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I hand`t seen Dhiren for 8 days, a long weekend spent in Manchester for my sister`s wedding, followed by 5 days at home nursing a heavy cold.

He didn`t know me.

I wasn`t upset, I`ve experienced many times when I haven`t been known, but more often when he was living with me at home than since he has been in residential care. However his face showed confusion and puzzlement and I wasn`t sure whether this was temporary or permanent.

So I did what I usually do, settled myself next to him and waited. He tried to tell me something, something which troubled him, but he didn`t have the language. I tried to reassure him, `Don`t worry, everything`s all right.`

After a while a smile slowly came to his face. I took advantage of it, held his hand and said another `Hello`.

I was rewarded with `Have you got any nice food? `

This time.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm pleased that you feel at least well enough to visit Dhiren and hope you'll soon recover fully.
It's sad that Dhiren didn't know you at first but as you say, this does come and go.
I'm never sure if Dave knows me or not as he can't say and I wouldn't ask as it might distress or confuse him.Sometimes, as with Dhiren, his face will reflect his confusion. I sometimes think that he might be less aware if he has been asleep and dreaming. Let's face it, if he'd been dreaming of times past and awoke to see me, he certainly wouldn't recognise me as the wife of his dreams!:rolleyes:

Have you got any nice food?
Well, they do say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach - and you certainly found it!:) X

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Good morning Sylvia,
I think it is wonderful that you don't get too disturbed about Dhiren not knowing who you are as it seems par for the course at some time or other. He recognised you enough to ask whether you had any nice food;):).

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve just found out when Paul visited Dhiren while I was away last week he was very tearful. This coupled with his troubled and confused demeanour on my visits makes me wonder what is happening.

I know his language is almost gone, apart from several stock phrases, and he is now unable to make his needs known. It`s worrying. I need to spend more time with him.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks CG. There nothing much you can say. The progression is inevitable and now it seems to be quite significant.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
I'm sorry to read your post about Dhiren today, Sylvia. There is still time for Dhiren to pick up, I feel sure. But if he doesn't, he is still well cared for, from what you say. Rainy days lower everyone's spirits, I think and I bet that applies to people with dementia too.. Dhiren probably missed you more than he can say or show, but now you are back I bet he cheers up a lot. That's not to say you shouldn't take breaks, just be prepared for a slight downturn until things get back to 'normal'. And don't run yourself ragged visiting when you are out of sorts yourself. Your Dhiren would never have wanted that for you, I feel sure. x

Status
Not open for further replies.