A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren seemed much better today. He is still chesty but the mucus he brings up is white so doesn`t look like an infection. He had his last AB today and the manager will call the GP again on Monday if she is at all concerned.

He was so pleased to see me. He kept telling me how pleased he was.

I was a bit peeved.
I had taken him 3 lovely jumpers on Wednesday and what was he wearing? A navy blue ladies button up cardigan! I have seen him in this before and don`t know why. All his clothes have name tapes sewn in and this cardigan certainly hasn`t.
But I kept quiet. It wasn`t a matter of life and death. The cardigan was clean and warm. He was wearing one of his nicer shirts and his new track suit bottoms , he didn`t realize the error, and as I have no other complaints with the home it wasn`t worth fussing over.

I told him I had joined a slimming club and he said I was too fat. :)
I told him about going to Line Dancing and he approved

He didn`t consider himself to be at home today.
D `I`m so lonely.`
S `I know. That`s why I come to see you.`
D `I`m bored.`
S `Would you like to come Line Dancing with me?`
He laughed.
D `I want to go home. I`m dying to go home.`
S `I`ll have to phone Dr. K. He`s the boss. He`ll tell us when you can come home.`
D `I suppose so.`
Then
D `What time are we going home?`
S `About 4 o`clock.. We`ll wait till the wind dies down. It`s very windy today.`
D `Maybe we`ll go at ten past four .`
S `All right.`
D `Maybe we`ll go tomorrow.`

He was fine really.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
You know, Sylvia, when I read that conversation I get the feeling that Dirhen knows he won't go home, but it is almost as if he has to say it so that he can produce the reasons to delay his return, if you undestand what I'm saying. He is comfortable and he must like his acquired navy cardigan...as you say, it is not worth rocking the boat over the wrong cardie. Sleep well, Maureen.x.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think you are right Maureen.
I`m sure he is now so secure where he is, his talk is out of habit rather than real desire.
Even with me, once he has got over the pleasure of seeing me, after a few hours, he is quite happy to let me go home.
He has never been upset when I have left him.

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Sylvia - You have such a knack of saying the right things to Dhiren. Your last two posts are particularly heartening ...

Love, Nan XXX

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Sylvia:
Its good to hear how settled Dhiren is even though there are occasions when he wants to go home. But he wanted to do that when he was at home.

Its a pity about the cardigan/jumper. I think these things happen when new carers or laundry people dont check or understand their patients properly. Complaining is better kept for the stuff that really matters.

Are you going to show Dhiren a chart of your weight loss - I am sure he will be delighted :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Jan.
Are you going to show Dhiren a chart of your weight loss - I am sure he will be delighted
At the moment Jan it`s a novelty and I`m fired with enthusiasm. But I haven`t even had one weigh in yet so there is no chart.
IF I succeed, the chart will be displayed on the wall. :D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren was asleep when I arrived at 1pm. I sat by his side with a Crossword and let him sleep.
The manager came to tell me he had complained of a headache before lunch so I hoped he would sleep it off.
I patted his hand and , in his sleep , he said `Thank you`.

He woke after about half an hour and just accepted me being by his side. I asked about his headache and he smiled and said it had gone.

He was quieter than usual but calm and contented.

Another carer came in later to ask how he was. She told me before lunch he had said he had a headache and felt sick.
She asked him how his head was. He said, very plaintively, `It`s getting better bit by bit`.
It must have been a `man headache`.

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Sylvia just pictured you at Dirhens side doing your crossword whilst he slept. so pleased he seems content even in someones eles's cardy, I also did not fuss about such things even though it did bother me a tad, but in the scheme of things as long as Dirhen was not upset wearing it., think you did the best thing by ignoring it.Hope all is well with you. love Pam

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren is on another course of ABs.

Yesterday he had a very aggressive episode when he was taken into the dining room for lunch.
He did not want to eat and was not hungry. He could not be persuaded , apparently the air was blue and he spat at the table. He was taken back to the sitting room while lunch was served to the other residents.
A while later, the cook went in and asked if he wanted any lunch. There was no sign of his previous mood, he smiled, said he was very hungry and was taken back to the dining room where he enjoyed his lunch.

There is still concern about the `rattling` noises from his chest so the doctor was called out again. If this course of AB`s is not effective, she wants him to have a chest X Ray.

Meanwhile he was fine with me. Still a little quieter, but more on the ball than another resident, when it came to choices for an afternoon drink and tea time meal.

I have told staff I can be on call at any time should I be needed.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Sylvia, I'm so sorry that Dihren is needing yet another course of ABs. I just hope that this lot can get to the bottom of his chest infection. Take it easy Love Maureen.x.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hope Dhiren soon picks up, I'm sure that we will all feel better when it is warm enough to open windows and let in some fresh air, the air indoors is so dry.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
So sorry to hear that Dhiren's chest is still giving cause for concern and that he is on another course of antibiotics, Hopefully they do the trick.

Very concerning for you, Sylvia, although good to read Dhiren was fine with you.

Loo xx

Status
Not open for further replies.