A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Hi Sylvia

I am so pleased you enjoyed the lunch - well done:)

It is a massive step to take after being in a relationship for such a long time, as I am finding - I am very proud of you.

Love

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Dear Slyvia
Glad you enjoyed your lunch, onwards and upwards as the saying goes.
I so know what you mean about the heartacre when they say they want to come home, nothing you say calms them.
Love to you
Roseann xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Today`s visit

When I arrived at the home I took my coat to Dhiren`s room and was almost hit in the face by the hoist and the slings which went with it. It was a very upsetting sight.

There were only three in the sitting room .
Dhiren beamed at me and said `Sylvia. Sit here. Sit here. `, and patted the chair next to him.
The two ladies in the room told me they had had a vote and agreed Paul should not be married.
There was an air of merriment in the room.

The ladies talked to me about Paul`s visit and that he had taken Lucy with him.

After dinner Dhiren wanted the toilet and the two carers again struggled to get him from chair to wheelchair. I asked how Dhiren was accepting the hoist. they said he was OK with it.

Then I was told the strangest news.
Two carers used the hoist with difficulty to put Dhiren to bed . When he was checked on a while later, he was sitting in the chair by his bed.
This tallied with my experiences at home.
Dhiren was able to get up from the chair and walk, when it was spontaneous and he didn`t have to listen to instructions. Once he was helped either by word or deed, he didn`t know how to walk or how to stand. But when he tried to get out of bed at home, he slid to the floor.
In the home he doesn`t seem to do so.

And then one of the owners joined us. I asked if the cook would mind heating some samosas for Dhiren , if I took some in for him to have at teatime.
He said it would be fine and then told me he bought Chicken Tika Masala and rice for Dhiren one evening and Dhiren loved it. I was so touched by his kindness.

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Sylvia, caught up with how Dirhens is at last, sorry he is having to be hoisted, but I find it such a help and keeps things more relaxed, how lovely that the owner seems to have taken a shine to Dirhen, there is just something about him that makes you warm to him, i know not all the time sylvia. well done you with the WI, do we feel another calander girls calander in the making, can just picture you with 2 little well large buddas stragegically ( spelling but you get the jist) placed, or perhaps a snazzy mop and bucket, hope you continue to make a good life for your self, it must be hard, but i think you will succeed, love pam

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
do we feel another calander girls calander in the making,

can just picture you with 2 little well large buddas stragegically ( spelling but you get the jist) placed, or perhaps a snazzy mop and bucket,

:D:D:D Thanks Pam, but don`t get any ideas. If I go, I`ll make jam. :)

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
He said it would be fine and then told me he bought Chicken Tika Masala and rice for Dhiren one evening and Dhiren loved it. I was so touched by his kindness.
[/QUOTE]

Sylvia

Here in a very multicultural city, we have homes for elderly Asians, Caribbeans, ECT.

But it is good to hear that Dhiren is being cared for so well.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent

Sylvia

Here in a very multicultural city, we have homes for elderly Asians, Caribbeans, ECT.

But it is good to hear that Dhiren is being cared for so well.[/QUOTE]

I know Helen.
In Manchester we would have had the same. But I`m grateful Dhiren isn`t doing so badly here. xx

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Sylvia - I was so intrigued to read of Dhiren's ability to get out of bed and onto the chair beside it as long as it was spontaneous. I sometimes think that my trying to help Brian do things (i.e. giving an instruction, "Now undo the buttons") can make him confused. Now I believe it more than ever.

As for the care home he is in, you seem to have really hit gold. Each time you hear of some extra little kindness towards Dhiren, you must be feeling so fortunate, so relieved, and so lucky to have found it.

Love, Nan XXX

milly123

Mar 15, 2009
England
hello sylvia i agree you do seem to have founda good home and dhrien seems settled . im glad to hear you have joined a lunchen club and made even more friends i have joined one called the monday club next monday we are going on a trip i have also joined ahealth walk 1hrs walk on a thursday round our local beauty spot if we dont try something new its not going to come looking for us if you get my drift i have met lots of new friends milly

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
How baffling! Do they not have to belong to some national scheme of quality care?
Love, Nan XXX
Nan,
The home is registered as a Care Home for the Elderly.

Milly ,
Well done. I`m so pleased you are managing to get a bit of life back for yourself. xx

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Sylvia,
I have at long last had time to catch up with your thread.

How lovely to hear about your successful lunch, well done you.

Dhiren's home sounds more and more fantastic, each time you tell us something new, they really are a caring bunch. How lovely for you all. It just proves that the CQC does not prove anything, you can have a lovely home without any stars and an awful home with quite a few stars. This is not the first time I have across something like this.

I am sorry you got distressed about the hoist, I know it hit me hard when I saw all the equipment in our bedroom for the first time, even though my husband had been using it all in the hospital for the past 6 months. It suddenly seemed so real, as this would have done to you. Nice that he does not appear to mind though.

I hope your next visit is as enjoyable.

Take care
Love x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Nice that he does not appear to mind though.
Not only does he not appear to mind Winnie, when no one was looking he got up out of bed and sat in his chair. :)

I hope all is well with you both Winnie. xx

Status
Not open for further replies.