A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Lovely to see the photos! When Martin’s wife had a baby he used to take half a dozen bottles of stout for the nursing mums!

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Gosh, Sylvia that is a big glass of Guinness! :D

Enjoyed your photos, thanks for sharing, it sounds a most enjoyable holiday - and with sunshine! Tonight's Irish music and dancing sounds fun - enjoy!
Loo xx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I think the worst moment was when I accidentally knocked over a pint of Guinness on the front room carpet. Despite scrubbing for all I was worth the place smelled like a brewery for a week. A fine impression to give visitors visiting a new mum with babe in arms!

My younger daughter's babies were born 1980's, she was given Guinness to drink - in the maternity hospital!
Loo x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
A small Guinness used to be given to blood donors immediately after donating blood, too, unless they were tee-totallers. (Tea totallers?) Guinness used to (I think) either have a slightly different formula or a different brewing process, and was actually very good for you, rich in B vitamins and iron. Never could stand the stuff myself!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm being cheeky now - my boy with his pint of Guinness in Fort Augustus- sorry Sylvia!
CIMG2682.jpg

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Lovely photo, Izzy. I don’t think I have ever had Guinness. Maybe you should have one for all of us, Sylvia! How was the folk evening?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I'm being cheeky now - my boy with his pint of Guinness in Fort Augustus- sorry Sylvia!View attachment 59132

No need for sorry @Izzy. Bill is welcome here whenever he wants to come. :)

The Guinness wasn`t mine. It was for the friend I went on holiday with. She has Guinness every day and had quite a few while we were there. I don`t drink and my son was the only one who knew the photo was posed.
Mind you I did like Irish Coffee and had quite a few while away.

I had a lovely holiday and the area we went to, the south west of Ireland was the cleanest , most well maintained and tasteful area I have even been to.
The people were delightful; smiley, friendly and warm.
The homes and gardens were gorgeous.
I honestly didn`t see one scrap of litter or one example of graffiti.
It might have been down to tourism but we are a tourist area too and I`ve never seen anything to touch it here.

I will post some more photos in time but have a lot of catching up to do here on TP first. I also need to do some laundry and shopping .

I just want to tell about one of our party who had dementia.

This lady wanted to join in everything and her husband encouraged her. They had reserved front seats in the coach and she insisted on getting down at every stop, even the photo shoots. This held up everyone while she was helped to organise her body down the steep coach steps , but we all waited until she was safe.
I`ve no idea what stage she was at. Her mobility was very poor, she had trouble unlocking a toilet door in one of the cafes, she nodded off at the table, but she took part in everything, even the late night out when we didn`t return until after 11 o`clock .

She was well looked after, not only by her husband , but by the rest of the group. Her husband received so much support from everyone in the group, so even though he had the major responsibility, there was always a helping hand and someone to chat to.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
It's so nice to read about the helpful attitude to a member of your party who had dementia. When John & I were in Ireland in the early 2000s we were heartened to find people with Downs Syndrome given jobs in the local shops, and obviously enjoying themselves.
I hope this accepting & kindly Irish spirit will never be dissipated.

Status
Not open for further replies.