A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It's so nice to read about the helpful attitude to a member of your party who had dementia. When John & I were in Ireland in the early 2000s we were heartened to find people with Downs Syndrome given jobs in the local shops, and obviously enjoying themselves.
I hope this accepting & kindly Irish spirit will never be dissipated.
There's a lovely girl with DS working in my local Tesco. And my other local supermarket has three or four special needs employees.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I went to Qigong [ Tai Chi ] and meditation today.

Next week my Tai Chi teacher will be talking to People with dementia and their carers , in the local area of Thanet, about Tai Chi and meditation .

She has asked if I will go with her for support.

It should be interesting.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I woke this morning and turning over into an empty bed thought `Dhiren must have got up early.`

I was so surprised at this feeling. I have slept alone for more than eight years.

Pre dementia he always got up first and brought me a cup of tea in bed.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I can imagine at how caught off guard you must have been. I still have moments of "I'll have to ask Mum" when in reality she didn't speak for several years before she died. It is a heart pang.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
That must have caused a unsettling pang, Sylvia. Sort of having the rug pulled from under your feet feeling, again. I don't like those moments. They're like sneak attacks.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I was shocked more than anything to think after all these years I could this.

Talk about old habits dying hard.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I was shocked more than anything to think after all these years I could this.

Talk about old habits dying hard.
It's one of the reasons I moved to another bedroom when William went to the nursing home. And bought myself a new bed. I just couldn't go on sleeping in "our" room, even though it's bigger, and a nicer room. "Our" room is still in bad need of redecorating. I have the paint. I have the stuff to repair the walls. I just can't do it. I think I'm going to just have to hire someone to do it. William is nearly 3 years dead, and I'm embarrassed to say, his dressing gown is still hanging on a hook in that room. I don't have much of him, most of his clothes, I gave to charity shops as he lost so much weight, and the replacements didn't have any hold on me, really. Jogging bottoms and shirts that had been hot washed so often. But I have his good suit, and his out door jacket. And his walking stick is in the hall.
What sentimental creatures we are!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
How poignant Sylvia. I still catch myself thinking I must get home and tell Bill that or this would be a nice place to bring Bill.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Ah, Sylvia, bless you. That is a true ‘stealth’ attack. My poor mum woke one night to an empty bed, and thought dad had fallen asleep downstairs. She went and called him...and then remembered.
I moved after it happened to me. I had made porridge one morning, and went to scrape the saucepan into the dog’s bowl ...she had died , eight months after Norman did. So, I thought, what an idiot, I’ll run upstairs and tell Norman what I have just done. And then, I thought, time to move. As my youngest daughter said, this house is full of dead people.
I cannot drive past the house easily now...in my head, Norman is still there. And Barley.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
That must have felt such an emotional tug on the heartstrings. Not a good start to the day but I hope that things went better for you as the day progressed.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I can 'feel' the shock it must have been for you Sylvia.

Yes old habits do die hard. I certainly find that true.

Loo xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Folks.

I`m OK thanks. I had a good session at Qigong , had the boiler serviced, all exciting stuff.

I`m still thinking about this morning but it will wear off eventually.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
That must have unsettled you Sylvia. I can understand it remaining with you all day. It’s 4 years next Sunday since Dave died and I am still sometimes caught out by these sort of flashback moments which seem to come from nowhere. x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti