So bizarre !

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Mornin'.....

Welllll.... my mind is still working overtime, been awake since 6, but managed to stay in bed another hour.

Thank you my TP friends for your support, and my problems with SiL.(and the rest of the in-laws).

I've had conversations in my head ... 'that I'd like to have' ... but haven't got the courage to.
I'd like SiL boyfriend (don't think I've mentioned him) to start helping out and visit his MiL.
He doesn't want to , cant cope, not sure what's going on, prefers to bury his head in the sand.
Want to say get off your *rse , and start helping .... but cant bring myself to say that to his face.
God help them all when MiL / Granny is at the much later stages of Alz.

OOOh yeah, I didn't mention SiL asked for a key in case she came over, and I wasn't in !!
I don't think she was expecting me to say no. That's what set her off on a rant...

Trying my best to stand up to family in laws, being argumentative is not in my nature.

Will post more in a mo... xxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
OOOh yeah, I didn't mention SiL asked for a key in case she came over, and I wasn't in !!
I don't think she was expecting me to say no. That's what set her off on a rant...

OMG - the cheek of it. what on earth would she want to go in your flat for when you're not in except to dump MIL. Well done for saying no.

Well done for standing up to her.

Can your sister go and see her GP and ask what would happen if you moved in terms of your knee op. I'm really thinking that you need to get the hell out of there ASAP.

I'm not good at standing my ground in confrontational situations at work, but a couple of times I've had to. Years later an employee who I had a big face to face with was reemployed and someone in my current dept said one of the few things he remembered about this chap was I'd had a big row with him (think the word fight was used) and I'd won!!! It actually left me really shaking and I then went to the loo and burst into tears - but with hindsight I'd actually had no choice and lots of people in the office at the time respected me for it.

However it leaves you feeling afterwards you need to stand up to SIL and once you've done it a few times she'll get the gist.

Can't believe she was banging on your front door!

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Hello again...

AnnM.... good on you... I wouldn't mention respite to MiL either.

More on MiL....

I think MiL is OK (she was the other day) with the idea of a new phone.
I've found a shop that I think I/we are going to, and been in and explained MiL has early Alz....

Asked them if we can come in at the end of the day, when it is quiet .. and can MiL have a chair to sit on while she is deciding / looking at the phones...
Want MiL to ... 'feel as if she is getting special treatment' , at the same time have the staff member 'give us some space'... not to rush MiL.

Nieces ex boyfriend is going to run new wiring , and put a new point in the bedroom and I think the kitchen.
BF calls MiL 'Granny' , as he always did when my niece and him were together as a couple.
MiL bungalow is tiny, no need for so many points, but she is always losing the phone, or cant see it...
so I thought if she had 2 or 3 phones it might be easier.

Niece said her mum not happy at ' D ' helping Granny, she thinks he's after something ? money???
MiL does not have money, but SiL does not want D helping any more.
You would think she would be happy to have another pair of hands, but no.

I had another idea....
On the way to MiL ( not far from where she lives ) I saw a milkman , and he delivering 'other supplies' ...
I wondered if I contact the dairy , or even call in (don't know if this is possible) , and ask if they would consider doing .... 'pop in visits' .... to MiL little cul-de-sac of bungalows ?

Its not out of their way, there are several old people in the Close who would love to have the milkman call. They would be able to buy milk and .... bread, cheese, eggs etc....
I'd like them to knock on the door , and ask if she needed anything ... and the neighbours too.
but.... I don't want MiL to think she has to buy something....just because he is there.
I'm not sure if there are rules about 'doorstep selling' supplies like food...

Might post a bit more later xxxx

Last edited:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Stop it grace. Stop sorting things for others... XXXX.

If you don't back off, you won't be able to get away (when at your existing home or when/if you move) maybe a move to a different area won't be so important if you can manage to "walk away" whilst still in the area you are in

I know it's hard, almost impossible.... But you could end up "looking after" everyone in the street/town if you don't say NO! to mil/sil whomever soon :) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
hope you're feeling better, Essie.
Ditto, Ann!
Grace - I've been bad at confrontation - I either lost my rag and got shaky/weepy after (like you, JM?) or dithered around feeling dreadful about what I was going to have to say. I have got better at being calmly assertive. Practice makes perfect! --& it sounds as if you're going to have plenty of practice with SiL. She is - of course - feeling threatened by the growing realisation that she can't just dump her mother on you - but every time she rants just tell yourself that you don't need people who behave like that in your life. What's the worse she can do? Threaten she's never going to come to see you again? Well - result! You're the one with all the power in this relationship.
As to milkmen: Don't get involved is my honest opinion. Someone, somewhere, will have a go at you because MiL/their relative is being overcharged/buying unnecessary stuff/doesn't like being bothered *please underline cause of future stress. MiL is NOT your responsibility. She's doing fine. Arguably, better than you. Concentrate on yourself, girl. You deserve to. :)

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
I'm so pleased to hear that you're going to have a proper break soon Ann. Please be completely selfish for once and let the family look after you.

There's one thing I'm curious about, given MiL's behaviour at home and DC. How is she when she goes to visit her friend? What do those visits look like?

Grace, you're doing well distancing yourself from MiL and her family, so I'd echo the advice to leave the milkman issue alone. It's not your problem to solve. Practice saying that every day. :) The one thing that I would disagree with you about (but only a tiny bit) is that the family have an obligation to look after MiL. Of course it would be good if they did but, as we often hear on TP, no one has to look after another adult. If they can't or even don't want to, that's fine, that's their choice. What they need to get into their heads, though, is that you're not the social services. So, in your shoes (and I know it's easier said than done) I'd apply the "Not my problem" saying to anything they tell you about MiL. Say it with a kind smile. And if anyone gets nasty, well, that would be that for me. Not wanting to be involved in the care of an in-law is perfectly ok, closer family getting arsey about it isn't. It's that simple.

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Aawww , thanks guys for caring about me, I really mean it :)

I cant help myself , I still feel as though I should be doing something.

And you are right about the milkman idea, I won't do it.
I was thinking MiL might need / like a helping hand with shopping , someone to call on her...

I'm still cutting back my MiL hours (I really am) in preparation for moving...
but struggling to get her family to offer help, of any sort....
I thought the milkman might be an option for someone to provide groceries.

Pleased that I managed to 'hold it together' and not get teary in front of SiL.
Shut the door, said the usual ... Bye, have a safe journey .... and breathed a sight of relief.
Got a bit teary, sniffly as the kettle was boiling .... then told myself she was not worth it.
If I smoked or drank (only a light drinker) I would of poured myself a large glass of something.

She's driving me mad.... quizzing me over xyz, asking who my friends are, where they live/work?
Demanding she is included in everything I do.... where I am going, where I have been,
and now even wants to know where my neighbours work !
(I'm thinking, she's thinking, she could call in and pick up my emergency key that she knows one of them has).

I think she is panicking a bit, she knows I am already pulling back on support, and does not like it.
BUT.... with no help, then MiL will eventually hit crisis point....

I'm prepared for the in laws to play the 'blame game' , my fault MiL has declined faster.

The other day SiL even 'threw in' a spiteful comment , on how my husband would expect me to do my best for his mum, and not abandon her.

I'm having to learn fast, and stick up for myself, I hate conflict of any kind.

BTW ... SiL is also a bully to her BF.... I didn't realise how bad, until my husband died.
.... and , she has 'lost' a few jobs over the years due to 'conflict of interests'.

Oh dear, sorry to rant about the in laws....

AnnM, have a lovely break from MiL. :)
Are you going to Chester Zoo again? I hope you can post lots of your photos ....
Try and go to some lovely restaurants to treat yourselves to uninterrupted meals (no hiding the salt).
The kids can leave their things out without the worry of MiL moving / taking them.....
yyaayyy, you will have free access to your kitchen .... for a week.
and maybe, just maybe you might even be able to sleep though the night.

IzzyJ

Aug 23, 2015
Cotswolds
The other day SiL even 'threw in' a spiteful comment , on how my husband would expect me to do my best for his mum, and not abandon her.

Grace, you are doing well, learning to stand up for yourself, keep it up - if she makes another comment like that one, the answer is "I think he would expect his sister to do her best for her own mum first, and I haven't seen that yet!" Don't answer any of her personal questions: you have such trouble with confrontation, try turning it round into a joke about spying for MI5 or something! RedLou's advice is spot on.

Ann, so very glad you have a few days of respite to come, especially with the family there. I do hope the weather improves so you can get out a bit too.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
:eek: Grace! I thought you only told me, and no one else, that you work for MI5 and that you have a mission soon to ....... Oh that bit hasn't been discussed yet :D :D :D

Brilliant idea. Must See if we can find you some other "excuses" :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Thank Redlou & Ann I am much better today. Bl**dy migraines – I eat an extremely restricted diet in order to avoid them but still every month or so one sneaks through and I could cry with the pain of it and the flipping waste of time that it is. Never mind, all better now :)

She whaaat??!! As JM says the only reason can be so she can dump Mil there and call it care....

struggling to get her family to offer help, of any sort....

Why? As Delphie has said so well it is not your issue to deal with, unless you continue to make it so....which of course is your choice completely. I get the feeling that you think ‘better me looking out for Mil than no-one’, which is admirable but the in-laws (and please, rant as much as you need to, they certainly provide lots of rant-worthy stuff...) the in-laws read that as ‘better Grace looking out for Mil than us’....

I think you keep feeling guilty and view your 'disengagement' as 'abandoning' Mil - it's a shame that you can't be only as involved as you'd like but no more but I really don't think that is a viable option, the in-laws will exploit your good intentions to infinity and beyond without turning a hair, Sil is clearly furious to have her plans for you to be chief Mil-sitter disrupted and is doing her 'by hook or by crook' best to get everything back on track. Well done for standing up to her so well but I fear the battle is very far from being won and with your own health not 100% do please think about what JM has said re moving to your sister's asap - at least you have somewhere else to go, many wouldn't have that as a ready option. Perhaps putting your focus and energy into progressing that is a better way forward, wrench though it will be to move, rather than expending so much stress and effort dealing with these awful people..... Wishing you strength Grace.

Last edited:

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Grace - please be prepared for:

MIL is missing you so much

MIL insisted she come to see you

You are so much better at this than SIL is.

You must be lonely.

It's a change of scenery for MIL.

Honestly, what a nosey old bag!

Ann, I hope you get some real rest during MIL's respite. Please don't get sucked in if they call you. She is there for your health so pretend you have two broken legs and have gone deaf.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Ann, best of luck for a quiet gentle week...let the younger Macs do the housework...try being a lady of leisure.x

Gwen....well I just don't know.:confused: I'm actually torn ( and everyone knows that I'm not really a nice person...but...) Is it possible that SIL has been subjected to MIL's confabulations and thinks she could sneak in and collect all of MIL's possessions that you have secretly hidden away ( like the other 4 Waterford Crystal glasses that are " really hers":rolleyes::rolleyes:) because it would make Mum happy to have her things back and she ( sil) won't have to fight you for them........ or does she really think that you will fall for the idea that her having a key means she'll have it for an emergency and not so that she ( and MIL ) can come in and help themselves to your things????:mad:

Please make sure that whichever of your neighbours is keyholder understands that you would rather have Jack the Ripper gaining access when you are out that your MIL and SIL.:rolleyes::D

Forgot to say...if SIL suggests key "in case you're out" tell her to ring before she leaves instead to save a wasted journey.

Last edited:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

Oh Grace - please, stay strong and be on the alert for your Sil's tricks and attempts to pull you in to care for your Mil. I agree 100% with Essie. I know you are willing to be of some support for her, but unfortunately, your out-laws see this as an oportunity to dump you with providing the bulk of Mil's care, so as long as you are doing a 'little', they will (particularly your Sil) continue to try and make you do a lot (if not all!). Like Lemony, I am waiting for Sil to try and guilt you into doing more, with the 'But she misses you' and similar. Stay firm, hun.

Delphie, Mil generally confabulates her way through her visit to her friend. Shirl - the friend - cared for her own Mum with Parkinsons and dementia for many years, so she is quite clued up, not at all upset by Mil's rambling, and very aware about the paranoid/accusatory comments that can appear. Shirl is one heck of a forceful character actually - at 80, she stands just under 5 feet tall, her hair is still dyed jet black and usually tightly permed, blue eyeshadow and black eyeliner are applied daily, she is famed for her pie making (has a list of 'regulars' she bakes for) and takes no nonsense, despite having a heart of gold. So when Mil says anything verging on paranoid or accusatory, Shirl gives a firm instruction to 'stop talking rubbish' and then turns it into a joke - so far, Mil has always accepted this, she will often believe Shirl when she won't believe us! The visits are as much for Shirl as they are for Mil to be honest, because those two have been close for over 45 years - Shirl likes to see Mil, she misses her. And I'm pretty sure that after each visit, Shirl will then update the rest of Mils old friends and neighbours on how she is, because obviously we can't trawl round visiting them all and many can't get to visit Mil (though Shirl often invites the odd one to come and have a cuppa when Mil is visiting) and - typical Shirl - see's this as something useful she can do, let people know how Mil is and then pass on their good wishes to Mil on the next visit. Lord knows, Shirl likes to be useful - the woman never stops! Mil seems to sort of enjoy herself, though increasingly, she is very confused throughout the hour or so we are there. I don't honestly know if she would realise if we stopped going - but we don't know for sure, and Shirl wants to see her, so for as long as its possible, we'll keep the visits going.

My awful cough has eased a little, thank goodness, but I still feel like I've done 10 rounds in the ring. Did only what I had to do yesterday and actually spent most of the late afternoon and evening in bed. Mil was distracted by daughters' partner being here, I felt we got a fair bit of her attempting the 'hostess mode' and though there were the usual confusion/confabulations/delusions, she wasn't too bad - or at least, not that I saw! I'm hoping that the A.B.'s will really start to make a difference now - this is the start of the 4th day of taking them - and that I am well enough for us to do at least one or two nice 'things' whilst Mil is in respite and youngest is off for half term, at least one zoo visit if we can! Tomorrow, after Mil has gone, I've got to try and sort the consultant faxing/emailing through to respite the info and consent for Mil to be given the diaz as a prescribed rather than a prn dose while she there - last time she stayed, it was still lorazepam - without that fax/email, they can't use the diaz at all and I suspect that there would be problems. However, CPN doesn't work Fridays, and I'm not sure she works Mondays either :( Not stressing over it - I can only do what circumstances allow.

Hope you all have a good day - and again, thanks you all for the get well wishes xxxxx

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Morning All, Just a quick visit today….
Thank you everyone again … you are so kind …

I think (I know) I have reached the stage backing off MiL help completely.

2Jays…. I know, I will try my best to stop helping others .

IzzyJ … I’m at least one step ahead of SiL and her tricks to get me to say XXXX.
I already try and joke…. Call her Columbo, and Sherlock, in the right context of course
and most of the time she looks puzzled or stunned that I’ve come back with a ‘sharp quip’…

Essie… (and others)….. Regarding the house key !! Absolutely no reason for SiL to have a key.
I also have an alarm, its connected to a ‘service’… not just a ‘bells only service’…
I NEVER let anyone see me put in the numbers.

My key holders have special separate key-pad numbers to use in the event of emergency, so I can see if anyone has been in my home when I am not here.
Neighbours know not to give in to SiL and give her key house key or the alarm code.

God Forbid, she tried something stupid like break in (she never would) the alarm would go, and after a few minutes the Police would arrive !! (After they have phoned the key holders/me)

Essie… Are you following a ketogenic diet? Sorry to hear about the migraines. x

Exactly….
My first though was what the ‘ beep’ is she up to… planning on depositing MiL with me no doubt !!

It is a real shame that I can’t be involved in helping MiL with help at home , jobs, trips…
without in laws think Great …. we are off the hook …. I can do all the caring.

Going to my sister is a great option, and I am very grateful for the offer of a bed/ board .
She is already sending me links to bungalows she has found on line, urging me to get my skates on….

Only Me….. I’ve already had that…. MIL needs / wants to see you… She’s worried about me….
You are lonely, and won’t admit it. What ??? !!!! I’m not , thank you very much.
And the other day …. SiL saying, ‘How can you stand it here on your own, it is so quiet’ !!!

cragmaid… I hadn’t thought that SiL would come in with the intention of collecting (steal) MY possessions , thinking that they are her mums take them over to hers.
I was thinking SiL would , if she had a key, just drop her mum off, and wave goodbye…

AnnM… Thank you, I am trying to stay strong. Keeping up a good ‘front’, in front of SiL, but occasionally have a little blip/meltdown.

I hope you feel better soon Ann. xxxx
Enjoy the zoo, I hope the weather is like today in the NW. Lovely day here, bright , sunny but cold…

If I back off (I am trying) helping, then my niece is going to worry more about her Granny …
She’s struggling to back off too, and nieces mum knows this…
SiL has a bit of a double whammy panic. Her daughter and SiL (me) both handing the ‘caring baton’ over to someone else …

Thanks again everyone for your comments x

IzzyJ

Aug 23, 2015
Cotswolds
. I felt we got a fair bit of her attempting the 'hostess mode'

This is another of those bizarre things, isn't it? Sort of feeling they ought to 'know' someone, because everyone else around them does (they've been introduced but have forgotten immediately) or even someone really familiar that they can no longer recognise. When my mum couldn't recognise us, her daughters, any longer, she did the same thing - we called it her 'Queen mode' because she would say things like 'Have you come far?' and 'How kind of you to come', all in her special elocution voice! Or she had lots of different ways of trying to hide that she had forgotten. 'Oh, I couldn't see him properly against the light' . Even that has gone now though.

Ann, I'm glad your cough is improving, even though you still feel so rough. With luck, it will mean you sleep better anyway. Fingers crossed that you feel better really soon and get a chance to enjoy being with the family. Xx

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Essie… Are you following a ketogenic diet? Sorry to hear about the migraines. x

Thank you Grace and no, not a ketogenic diet, thank goodness, having read up about that, I love bread and pasta, a very low carb diet would be truly awful, although obviously better than being ill.

It is a real shame that I can’t be involved in helping MiL with help at home , jobs, trips… without in laws think Great …. we are off the hook …. I can do all the caring.

It is Grace, they are silly, pig headed people so rigid in their belief that they know better than everybody else that they fail to see that with cooperation and genuine sharing you would remain involved with helping Mil - they simply can't see any way except their way, their terms.

Going to my sister is a great option, and I am very grateful for the offer of a bed/ board .
She is already sending me links to bungalows she has found on line, urging me to get my skates on….

Good! Go Grace's sister! Seriously my advice would be to start addressing the move actively and positively rather than seeing it in the negative light of all the issues around Mil - fill your days now with firming up plans, pursue having your op in the new area - waiting lists etc. - you are moving, it's when not if so s*d Sil and her bully boy tactics, she can't change that whatever she thinks of her powers to bend people to her will and have her own way. Stay strong Grace. :)

And Ann, so pleased your cough is a little better and tomorrow...RESPITE!!! Roll on tomorrow!

Last edited:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
(((Grace))) I hate confrontation too and know how easy it is to back down when put on the spot. You have had some great advice here and seem to be getting quite good at withstanding SIL's onslaughts - give yourself a pat on the back! Making definite plans re the move sounds a really positive thing to do, something for yourself (for once).

(((Ann))) I hope you have managed to get some sleep. I totally agree with your decision to not tell MIL about respite. No point in getting her stirred up if you don't have to! I know you are looking forward to spending some quality time with your family and really hope you will be well enough to do so.

I hadn't heard of 'life sharers' before you mentioned them Ann. It sounds like a very rewarding thing to do but I would imagine you get very little privacy? I was a nurse for more than 35 years but I'm afraid my temper has always got the better of me. I don't erupt easily but when I do it is not pretty! :eek: Constant 'in your face' nastiness has always pressed my buttons, as my son will attest. As I said, one of the reasons for saying that I will never have Mum to live with me. Hubby is under strict instructions not to die before Mum as I know she would want to come and live with me...

(((Essie))) I get the very (very very) occasional migraine, I have every sympathy for anyone who gets them regularly :(

You might have noticed that I am having a sleepless night. I get spells of them but don't worry about it the way I used to when I was w*rking. Hope Monday heralds a peaceful week for everyone.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

Good for your sister, Grace - I think Essie has the right approach, look to the house move as something to be done for you, something positive, focus on that and getting it sorted asap. You are doing brilliantly with your Sil, but why on earth should you have to waste precious energy on dealing with her unpleasantness and pestering - far better to spend that energy on acomplishing something good for you xxx

A lot younger when OH and I did the lifeshare, Slugsta - I actually had my first child whilst I was doing that - lol, helped my lady client bath in the morning, had my daughter at just after 4pm in the afternoon, back in harness 4 days later! Not a lot of privacy, but OH and I both loved doing that 'job' - we only stopped when it emerged that the council were on very dodgy ground with employment legislation and they brought the whole thing to an end. We were quite sad when it finished. I think that was probably the situation that taught me most about care/support work though and enabled me to learn to cope in a reasonable manner - verbally, oh I can blow and I can be horrible, but there's an inner brake that stops it going further xxx

Well, not much of the 'Hostess mode' about Mil yesterday afternoon, Izzy, I'm afraid. She was OK-ish when she got up, though it took me till lunch time to persuade her to finally have a wash and get dressed. Daughter's partner was heading back last night, so we had decided that OH would take them for a run out around Llangollen in the afternoon for a couple of hours whilst youngest was in Joseph rehearsals. I felt that I'd quite like some fresh air, and Mil seemed keen on the idea of a trip out, so off we went, leaving the joint and veg roasting for when we came back. All good while we were out, Mil was perfectly fine and actually seemed to be enjoying herself.

Got back, I felt a lot better, so was sorting the food when Mil said something to OH about this house and about me living 'round the corner'. I didn't hear any alarm bells ringing as she said it, neither did OH from what I could tell, but when he explained that no, I live here, that the house belongs to us both, it was like a rocket going off :(

And just how long had this been going on behind her back, she wanted to know? Just how long had we been 'carrying on'? Did this mean that he (OH) was 'splitting up' with her? Because as far as she knew, this house belonged to herself and him (OH), so what did we think we were playing at?

OH and I were caught a bit off guard, quite a while since we have had Mil thinking that he is her husband, rather than her son. But we both very calmly went into the same mode - gently but firmly explaining she was a bit tired and had got muddled, that I was his wife, she was his Mother. I pulled up the wedding pics that I'd scanned into the pc ages ago and showed her the photograph of our wedding day, with OH and self, and Mil and late Fil and did the 'look, you were there - there's S***, isn't it? And me. And you. And T** - look, you're smiling and isn't your hat nice?'. She looked very confused, but agreed that yes, she recognised us all and I thought that it had convinced her. As I stepped away though, she turned to OH and asked 'Does that mean that you and I are finished?' *sigh*.

OH got firmer, did the he was sorry she felt upset but she was mistaken about all this and he didn't want to discus any longer. She sat on the sofa, sobbing and we decided it was best to give her a bit of space, so I served up lunch with Mil sat in solitary splendour at the table and the rest of us balancing our meals on TV tables in the lounge, mainly because the filthy looks and the comments were solely directed at me and I didn't want to add any fuel. My throat definitely not up to a roast, so I'd reheated some of the leftover curry from the night before (which I hadn't eaten then as I felt so rough that up till yesterday, I'd mainly been existing on soup and soft buttered toast). Mil initially refused the food, but when all she got was a polite 'That's OK - you've had breakfast and lunch, it won't hurt for you to miss tea and wait till supper. I'll put it in the bin in a minute', she loudly decided why should she starve herself to please me, and she went to the table :rolleyes: I was putting mine out after I'd served everyone else and Mil came walking into the kithen whilst I was doing it. I reminded her that she wasn't to be in the kitchen and got rudely told that it was her ******* kitchen and she wanted a small ******* plate. I handed her one and she stomped back to her meal. I then came through with her glass of water (which I'd forgotten to put out with the cutlery) to find she was piling the vast majority of her veg onto the side plate, muttering 'That's raw, that's burnt, that tastes like ****' . I said 'fine', and removed the plate before she could pile the rest of the food onto it. By the time I'd come out of the kitchen with my plate, she had finished what was left of her food and was attempting to take her plate from the table. With a polite 'I'll take that for you', I lifted the plate - but she grabbed at the crockery and then threw it back on the table. I turned to OH and said 'enough' and asked him to get her to her room - clearly she needed to cool off and calm down. She refused, and he took her arm and pretty much marched her through the front room, with Mil shouting 'Oh, I'll go - I'll leave you to your mistress!.

Oldest tried to explain to Mil that I really was OH's wife and she was his Mother - Mil wailed at her 'If that's the truth why did no one ever tell me!'. No way was she having it, so OH sent her upstairs.

OH then had to get daughters partner to the train station - I was still eating - so off they went, and Mil started up and down the stairs, being incredibly offensive and rude to me, screaming I was a 'Barsteward' (or at least, a very similar sounding word :rolleyes: ) and telling me to **** of out of her house and away from her husband. In the end, I put the kitchen barrier across the top of the stairs - just didn't see why I should put up with that sort of abuse :(

OH got back and I told him that I really didn't want to deal with her whilst I felt ill and that I wasn't prepared to have her sit downstairs at all last night - that might be harsh, but I really felt 'enough', and wasn't prepared to even try and cope. She tried to come down a few times, but OH, to be fair, backed me up - she didn't waiver in her belief that she was certain she had been his wife at all, the best we got was that she said she accepted he had 'chosen' me over her :( OH took up her meds and porridge at 9, and thankfully, that was it for the night - he sent her to the bathrrom with clean pull ups, but its anyones guess if she changed them - I was pretty fed up and decided I couldn't be bothered to even go and check. He's currently in the shower, getting ready for work and she has just come down to use the loo down here - very cold towards me, no idea what or who she thinks I am, if she still thinks I'm the 'slapper' (as she called me several times yesterday) carrying on with 'her' husband or not. Repeating like a mantra that i only have to get through to the mini bus arriving, and then I can have a proper break for a few days. Haven't said a word to her about respite - intended to speak about it today, presenting it as a holiday, but will just play it by ear now, depending on her behaviour when I have to get her up. Hoping thats the best way to work out how to avoid any upset - we'll see!

Hope you guys all have a good day xxxx

Last edited:

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Ann, I hope MiL wakes in a more cooperative mood and getting her ready goes as smoothly as possible. Ditto your sorting of the meds permission letter later.

And then.. a much needed and deserved break. I hope the lurgy clears as quickly as possible and you have a real, relaxing break and let your family share the chores and spoil you.

With luck you will have some enjoyable photography expeditions and whatever else makes you happy and relaxed ☺.

I am sure you will be in our thoughts but please don't feel you should log in to update, as a "much as possible" break from things dementia related would probably be good.

Take good care of yourself, hugs xx

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Oh Lord. You need this break. And wise not to tell her about respite or she'd be yelling that you were getting her out of the way! Echo Celia - have a lovely week. A word of caution - don't over-do it - it was going to the cinema and then a concert that landed me back in bed, as I felt good and wanted to use the tickets we had booked.
:)