So bizarre !

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I rarely read her blog - I'll try and read later.

I'm hoping that I've kicked the virus into touch. Cycled Sat which left me wiped but did a good 40 min run yesterday and felt fine.

got POAs sorted last Thur but not managed to find the energy to post them yet. so that is on my list today. solicitor was very nice and only charged another £5 - suspect being a fellow professional made a massive difference for that one. she only charged £10 for the original 5, this time she had to amend 4 and certify 2 copies of my passport.

OH is off for half term but working on bathroom - he commented on Monday that he had finished ripping it to bits and was at least on the putting it back together loop.

R Anne - have a nice night off - I don't watch telly that much but suppose I'm on the computer instead so still need connecting to something!

Grace - hope everything is OK with you

Pegsdaughter

Oct 7, 2014
London
How she copes I do not know. Time for one of the soaps to do this as a story line based on Ann's real life experiences

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Thanks for the link, Like JM, I don't normally read blogs. Also miss them cos I usually use iPad with app.
I am horrified, reading it all together, rather than day by day. Makes more impact, somehow.
I don't think the soaps would believe it. Plus it wouldn't run as long as Ann has had to cope.
Various people have asked her over the months what happens if you are ill? Well, now she knows. If OH was away, as he might be in the future, what then?
I still think it's time for a permanent care home for her! Now even more convinced. When my OH went into a home for respite, there were beds available, even at short notice, for self founders. But then, I don't live near Ann!
Maybe we should send the whole thing, plus synopsis to all MPs, to show them exactly what their policies are doing to Carers and the cared for.

Ann, wishing you all the get well messages possible! Let's hope the abs do their job and you are revitalised before mil comes back!

PS am loving the programmes on Chester Zoo, can see why it draws you there!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Ann, if you are reading this, please get on to the CH and ask if they can possibly keep MIL until post weekend...
I read your blog and know that you are nowhere near as well as you think you are.

This is a warning that the line in the sand keeps re-drawing itself, regardless of how far you push it back.

Get well properly. Love Maureen.x.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
The blog - perhaps because it is slightly more conscious and considered than a quick post to mates - certainly makes it clear how restricted Ann's life is. That she can't even take to her bed but has to stand there wiping someone's rear end! I'm afraid I would never summon up the self-control and sheer energy she has. I would be taking to my bed and leaving her to go to day care smelling and unkempt!
Lovely to "see" you, Spamar.
R-Anne, hope your break is restorative.
JM - glad you are on the mend but do still take it easy.
Slugsta - ditto!

--I have just come off the phone: I have revived my OU degree, which I had lost to dementia and the subsequent lack of time. --SO happy! At last, I am looking forward and feeling like me again! --Might not need the acupuncture now, Spamar!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi, Red, now there's an idea for next year! I, too, have half an OU degree, though that was enough to get me to uni at 37!
Feel it's an unfinished job!
You'll be too busy for acupuncture!
BTW, I'm fine now!

Last edited:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Hi all,

Haven't read Ann's latest blog, will have a look soon. I don't know how she copes, physically or mentally and am deeply concerned about her (as we all are). I hate to see her losing her youth and family time like this. I know she feels she has no choice but she cannot continue to put her own health on the line like this. Her needs are every bit as important as MIL's.

I'm glad that the poorly peeps are starting to feel a bit better, hope the improvement continues.

RL and Spamar, it's good to hear you sounding enthusiastic about your OU :)

I left school at 17 and went straight into nursing (started my orthopaedic training 1 week after my 17th birthday, then did my general training afterwards). I had 7 O'levels, which was considered pretty good those days, but no A levels. I always regretted the lack of A levels, I knew I would be capable of them and hated the idea that perhaps people thought otherwise. I was so lucky to be given the chance of university when I was in my 40s. The PCT paid the course fees and my employers supported me with time off for study, mentoring etc. I loved being a student and was so proud when I graduated with a BSc (hons) degree :) I did think I might do some OU stuff but their course fees are now quite high for something I would be doing only for my own pleasure. Maybe I will have a go at these one day-https://www.mooc-list.com/

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Keep thinking of Ann, hoping she and Mr Mac are getting some rest.

Her latest blog entry was wonderful, and should be required reading for anyone involved with the business of arranging respite for Dementia sufferers and their carers.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
We've got your weather Juggles. Would love to go to Chester zoo, but closer to us is the Cotswold Wildlife park, which has nice gardens and an enclosure where you can walk round and Lemurs are swinging around in the same space.

Husband has gone off with his inventive friend who always manages to jolly him along and bring him back in a cheerful mood..... I tried so hard this morning when husb said he wanted a job to do instead of sitting around doing nothing...problem was, whatever I ask him to do, he can't manage, and gets terribly cross even though I guide him as tactfully as possible. So we cleaned windows together, and he soon gave up. So we tried trimming some bushes together, with him filling bags with the trimmings, but he got cross and gave up. So our friend turned up just at the right time.

Ten more minutes of blessed PEACE!

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Oh Anne. Glad you had 10 minutes.
My OH came home yesterday from one of his dementia art workshops. Usually the partners/carers of the participants have to stay and help, because it can't be managed otherwise. However, OH has struck up such a good rapport with one particular chap that he's been able to tell the wife she can leave and have the day off. The look of wonder on her face! It made OH's day as much as hers, I think! Not much I know in the grand scheme of things but we are happy that he's been able to help one carer get one day off a week.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Oh Anne. Glad you had 10 minutes.
My OH came home yesterday from one of his dementia art workshops. Usually the partners/carers of the participants have to stay and help, because it can't be managed otherwise. However, OH has struck up such a good rapport with one particular chap that he's been able to tell the wife she can leave and have the day off. The look of wonder on her face! It made OH's day as much as hers, I think! Not much I know in the grand scheme of things but we are happy that he's been able to help one carer get one day off a week.

Oh that's lovely!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Looking in to see how everyone is.

RAnne, I see you deleted a post - I hope you are OK? I'm so glad your friend turned up just when they were needed :)

That's lovely RedLou! I bet the lady is soooo thankful for a bit of time off. Good job carers don't stick to the European working hours laws, isn't it??

Our nearest zoo is Marwell, a bit too far for me to travel these days. We have Monkey World further west in the county but it's not really my thing. I used to enjoy visitint the Hawk Conservancy, near Andover, used to goat least once each year when our son was younger.It wasn't til he left home that he learned not everyone stops the car when they see a buzzard... :D

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
........but all sensible people do, Slugsta!!
I've been driving past the Hawk Conservancy about 35 years, and every time I tell myself that I'll go and look around. Not done it yet.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Hmm - odd how children realise other people do things differently.

As we cycle we often get to see birds of prey in more detail than you do when driving. We do stop to look on our bikes sometimes. And once, many years ago, when cycling in a remote valley with OH we got very very close to a golden eagle sat on a post. We had just had to negotiate a herd of highland cattle (with calves) all across the road which was scary.

Kids do say we are different from a lot of others with camping and cycling, but first time dau went on a trip with another set of parents, she commented she hadn't realised that other people stop at services, rather than drive for 5 or 6 hours without stopping. They stopped twice between here and Perth, when we would have done it with no stops.

RA - dry and quite a bit of sun here today. You must be so relieved your sitter has got over illness.

Will be glad to be in work after half term :eek: son has had a couple of rockets about his inability to concentrate and complete homework

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Childhood holiday journeys :(

Never mind the wildlife, what about the kids! My children found scenic drives in the Scottish mountains to be a trial of physical discomfort, as did I when I was a backseat passenger. Life improves immeasurably when you are sitting in the front seat. :D

In my childhood our car was a big heavy Standard Vanguard that wallowed like a ferry in rough seas, and stank of petrol fumes. No seat belts at the back, so the three kids slithered back and forth on the hot vinyl banquette. My mother refused to go on motorways so our car journeys were always on A roads, or nausea-inducing winding B roads if my father fancied better scenery. Who knew it took 12 hours to get to Cornwall from Surrey.

Services of any kind were not allowed because you would have to PAY for things! So my father would deliberately drive past cafes, pubs and garages, and all signs of human habitation, while our little bladders were bursting, in order to find a field for us to pee in behind the hedge. Food and drink was brought with us, to be consumed in another field, or in the car park of some ruin or stately home we were visiting. Cafes? Of course not, they are EXPENSIVE. :rolleyes:

I know money was tight, but I would happily have gone without a month's pocket money to be allowed to use actual toilets on a car journey. And Dramamine made me stoned and sick, rather than just sick. There is nothing I remember with pleasure from those car journeys, other than the fun of playing I Spy with our little brother who couldn't spell. You know, you spend 15 minutes trying to guess a word beginning with 'C' only to find it is 'chrakta' (farmers drive them).

Last edited: