And now it's our turn....

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Thank you all so much for your kind words. Until I found TP, I had never realised how much help was out there from all you lovely people. TP should be required reading for all the health professionals involved in dementia care so they could get just an inkling of what it is like to face this dreadful illness. With everything that you have to deal with every day, it is an inexpressible comfort that you find the time to give compassion and sympathy so generously.

Yesterday I had previously arranged to babysit little grandson and it made my heart lift to see how he enjoys everything around him. He's at the beginning of life's adventure; bit of a cliche but it was a real 'circle of life' feeling. Helped me through the day between those phone calls that nobody wants to make or receive.

Starting to think about mum's funeral. She made some notes about what she wanted a long while ago; I used to think this was a bit morbid but now I can appreciate it does make it easier for us. Except that none of us live in her home town where the funeral will be, and neither does one of the retired ministers who she wants to conduct the service. Mum was a master of organisation so perhaps she wanted to give us a challenge? I'm making lists already, that's just what she would have been doing....

Can't get the death certificate until Monday, first available appointment with the registrar is Friday 14th; even the funeral director couldn't believe that. It's my sister's birthday the following week, I don't want her to have her birthday forever associated with mum's death. At least that means we have time to think and plan, I don't want to be rushed. It's more important to do it right.

Last edited:

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
I am sorry to read your sad news, but you must know that you did all you could and more. I get very moved by the sea hymns....my FIL was a merchant seaman ( a chief engineer).
I can only wish a calm passage for your Mum to her safe haven on the other side.
RIP.x.x.

Thank you craigmaid for saying it so well. Isn't it strange that hymns can move you to tears like nothing else. Maybe it's the links to childhood; I am word perfect in hymns I sung at church and school more than forty years ago. I watched the Remembrance festival last night on TV and realised that this will from now on always be the time of year when we lost mum. 'Abide with me' was sung at at an elderly cousin's funeral a few months ago and although I had been OK during the day that just broke me up.

We had already planned to go and see the poppies at the Tower of London tomorrow and have decided we will still do that. It seems even more appropriate now.

loza

Jul 4, 2013
Pickles53

In the last few weeks I have been reading posts from other TPers whose loved ones have been close to death and it has felt that we were all walking the same road together, just not knowing when any of us would reach the end of it.

Well for us today we are at the end of that road. My mum passed away in her sleep early this morning. She has been so frail these last few weeks but however many times we thought she could not hold on much longer it is still a shock to realise she is gone.

How do I feel? Slightly numb if I'm honest. Relieved that her suffering is over and that there was no emergency call or need for any last minute medical intervention. So sad that her last few months were so difficult and that all our hopes for making her life better came to nothing. Glad she and my Dad are together again at last.

I have read so many moving posts from those who have faced this before me and been grateful that they could put into words what I couldn't and can't today. I'm not at all religious, but as mum was a lifelong member of her local Methodist church and we all went to Sunday school one of her favourite hymns seems to say it all for me. Especially as my maternal grandfather was a trawler skipper and she has always lived by the sea.

Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is high.
Hide me, O my Savior, hide,
Till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide;
Oh, receive my soul at last.
ohh Pickles, we had been on the same journey with our mum's at the same time, although I found you late, my mum also passed away yesterday morn, you have said it all in your post and I have no strength left to put my own words down.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Condolences on the loss of your Mum, so glad you have a lovely little grandson to relieve your grief. Wishing you strength to cope with the funeral.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
ohh Pickles, we had been on the same journey with our mum's at the same time, although I found you late, my mum also passed away yesterday morn, you have said it all in your post and I have no strength left to put my own words down.

Ioza I have just seen your thread about your mum's passing and how much worse for you that you feel she was not made as comfortable as she could have been. So wish that everyone could have the care my mum did. With all the miraculous things that modern medicine can do, we seem to have forgotten the importance of the simpler things that make such a difference.

Take care in the days to come to look after yourself too.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
...take a lot of tissues....x.x.x

You were right craigmaid, but I was so glad we had the chance to see the poppies both close-up and from the top of the Shard which was awesome. The crowds were huge, I have read that more than 5 million people have been there, but everyone was very quiet and respectful. Great courtesy too, everyone taking their turn in the front row.

There has been a big debate about how much longer they should stay but I think they have reached a wise conclusion both for practical and more importantly emotional reasons. The transitory nature of the display is exactly the point.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
I thought I was not doing too badly this first week, have managed to clear mum's room at the home. The staff had folded everything and put it ready so it was much easier than I had feared. But it has been like limbo, although I was upset by the delay before I could see the registrar it has also been a way of putting off the inevitable reality of what comes next. I have spoken to the funeral director but tomorrow we have to go and see him.

Yesterday I was fine with this but then why have I been awake since 4am feeling so shaky? Am I just in denial that this has really happened? I just want to run away and let someone else do it..... Mum was so brave when dad died, heart attack completely out of the blue at only 73. I had a long time knowing what was going to happen so surely I should be able to face this more calmly. I'm afraid I'm going to break down in the registrar's office.....

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I'm afraid I'm going to break down in the registrar's office.....
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that.:)

A good effort in clearing your Mum's room, not sure I will be that controlled when the time comes.:(

One day at a time........

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
A beautiful bouquet from my son-in-law's parents, in the vase my mum gave me a few months ago. It was the only thing she had which belonged to her own mother, who died when mum was still a child.

Mum always loved flowers in the house and this vase sat on her sideboard for as long as I can remember. One day she got anxious about breaking it so it came to me.

PS I have no idea why the photo came out upside down or how to change it, sorry for the technological ineptitude

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 351

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
I thought I was not doing too badly this first week, have managed to clear mum's room at the home. The staff had folded everything and put it ready so it was much easier than I had feared. But it has been like limbo, although I was upset by the delay before I could see the registrar it has also been a way of putting off the inevitable reality of what comes next. I have spoken to the funeral director but tomorrow we have to go and see him.

Yesterday I was fine with this but then why have I been awake since 4am feeling so shaky? Am I just in denial that this has really happened? I just want to run away and let someone else do it..... Mum was so brave when dad died, heart attack completely out of the blue at only 73. I had a long time knowing what was going to happen so surely I should be able to face this more calmly. I'm afraid I'm going to break down in the registrar's office.....

I have to say that the period after dad died, but before the funeral, was one of the hardest times. It is definitely like limbo - you don't know where you are or should be.

Let the tears come, when they do - there is nothing to be ashamed or frightened of .. and if others appear to be uncomfortable with your grief, that's their problem - not yours! When people say 'stay strong' or 'be brave' they often mean 'don't break down in front of me, I don't know what to do'

So do it your way - which will be right, for you. Big kiss xxxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5