And now it's our turn....

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
In the last few weeks I have been reading posts from other TPers whose loved ones have been close to death and it has felt that we were all walking the same road together, just not knowing when any of us would reach the end of it.

Well for us today we are at the end of that road. My mum passed away in her sleep early this morning. She has been so frail these last few weeks but however many times we thought she could not hold on much longer it is still a shock to realise she is gone.

How do I feel? Slightly numb if I'm honest. Relieved that her suffering is over and that there was no emergency call or need for any last minute medical intervention. So sad that her last few months were so difficult and that all our hopes for making her life better came to nothing. Glad she and my Dad are together again at last.

I have read so many moving posts from those who have faced this before me and been grateful that they could put into words what I couldn't and can't today. I'm not at all religious, but as mum was a lifelong member of her local Methodist church and we all went to Sunday school one of her favourite hymns seems to say it all for me. Especially as my maternal grandfather was a trawler skipper and she has always lived by the sea.

Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is high.
Hide me, O my Savior, hide,
Till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide;
Oh, receive my soul at last.

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Pickles-I'm so sorry that your Mum has passed away. Even though she was so frail it's still a shock when it happens.Bless you for looking after her so well, and bless your Mum who is now at peace.

Love from

Lyn T

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I am sorry to read your sad news, but you must know that you did all you could and more. I get very moved by the sea hymns....my FIL was a merchant seaman ( a chief engineer).
I can only wish a calm passage for your Mum to her safe haven on the other side.
RIP.x.x.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Oh Pickles, I'm so sorry to hear this news...but glad that your mum's suffering is at an end.

Lovely words from you and a beautiful hymn :)

Thinking of you and sending condolences

Lindy xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read your news. Sending my condolences. I do love that hymn.

blandford516

May 16, 2012
Hi Pickles,

So sorry to hear your sad news about your mum ,take time for yourself now . Wishing you and your mum peace x

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Very sad news Pickles. My thoughts are with you and yours.

I'm always impressed by the way that people like you continue to post offering support to other members even whilst your loved one is close to the end. Thank you.