Still waiting for memory clinic appointment for husband

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
82 yrs old husband is showing signs of dementia, short term memory is very poor. He is highly functional and ok during the day. At night he gets very anxious about locked doors, windows etc and gets very confused. Could he be sundowning, I sleep in the spare bedroom as he disturbs me at night when he gets up to the toilet at least twice a night and started checking doors and windows. He comes and wakes me up as well. I have locked the door but he got mad banging and said he will break it. He also said he felt like breaking something and looks very threatening. When he is like that I need to be careful what I said as he will become aggressive. I am sure he will hurt me during one of the episodes. If I remained calm and do not upset him and let him do what he wants. He will calm down as if nothing has happened and will not remember anything. He does not believe me when I told him how he behaved during the night. He seems very confused when awake. Is he sundowning? It’s only happen if wakes up at night to use toilet as ge has an enlarged prostrate. All these carry on, wake me up and I am a poor sleeper but when he puts his head down he falls asleep quickly. Does not have any problems falling asleep. Have expressed my concerns with gp apart from referring him to memory clinic he is not doing anything else as husband is being investigated urgently by the gastro team due yo high liver enzymes. He recently had an appointment with vascular team re varicose veins. He refused any intervention or day surgery and I could not anything as consultant said it’s his choice. What do I do know? Best way to manage him now is not to lock the bedroom and remain calm until he gets an appointment. I think he needs to see a neurologist and have a brain scan but I guess this will not happen until he us seen at the memory clinic.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You have had a long wait @Jan48

Are you reminding the powers that be that your husband is still waiting? Perhaps he has slipped through the net.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
It might be worth contacting the GP and letting them know that he’s starting to get physically threatening. They may be able to use that as leverage to speed things up.

If you feel seriously threatened, please get yourself safe and call the police. They can bring in a mental health team who will be trained to deal with this kind of situation. That might also speed up referrals and tests.