Mom w/AFTD-dealing with aggression

AprilX

May 2, 2024
My mother threw a pen at my face and then slapped me because I'm following an attys advice not to write out checks to another family member. I have POA, I live with her, and am trying to do the right things by her. She doesn't agree. She cannot speak, barely understands writing. She Has no clue. She gets aggressive and acts out. I have to walk away. Her Dr. Prescribed her Paroxetine. It did not help. So I took her off it. Maybe I should try it again. This disease is terrible. I cannot put up with the abusive behavior. I don't know what to do here. Any advice?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the forum @AprilX

It was a big mistake to take your mother off prescribed medication. Please go back to the doctor for advice.

When I found medication was not helping my husband, I always referred back to the doctor who tried a different dose or a different drug.

Dementia affects people in different ways and one form of medication does not help everyone.

I agree with you. Agression is unbearable Walking away is the best thing you can do.

Have a look at this link and see if it helps.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome from me too @AprilX

I found the compassionate communication very helpful in reducing aggression and managing a person with dementia in general. I hope it helps you too.

If you wrote out a cheque could you destroy it while your mum wasn’t looking? Would removing the chequebook work in an “out of sight out of mind” sort of way?

I sometimes said I’d do things and then delayed and apologised until it was forgotten.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Re the cheques, you said she can barely read writing now, so would she notice if you made the cheques payable to Micky Mouse?

With dementia you have to go with things that they will accept and not provoke them, even if it involves some subterfuge and isn't totally true. It's known on here as love lies, or Therapeutic Untruths, and is a major tool when caring for someone with dementia.