Dear Diary!

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Ditto at you @SeaSwallow, ah yes I remember seeing your earlier recommendation now ;)

Yes she does throw quite a wobbler - Garion escaping the citadel after being crowned was especially energetic! Or when laying into Belgarath following his return to the Vale... ;)

The Malloreon was okay but didn't hold my interest as well as the initial series of books.
Yes, the tantrum that I was thinking of was when Garion left the citadel.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
I have always been an avid reader. However, I hate sci fi but appreciate that it’s a genre which has a massive following. Continue to enjoy it!

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
I have always been an avid reader. However, I hate sci fi but appreciate that it’s a genre which has a massive following. Continue to enjoy it!
Horror? Fantasy? I'm a reasonably broad reader so I tend to dip into these quite often as well ;)

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Yes, the tantrum that I was thinking of was when Garion left the citadel.
Pol's eye colour change... people say mine do the same when angry, Hazel to a steely grey haha! Don't reckon so myself ;) and I'm much more laid back these days anyway 😇

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Big fan of Stephen King, Clive Barker and Anne Rice. Nightbreed (Cabal) and Salem's Lot TV movie big wow. Again I could go on and on... :)
I’m just a big wuss. No to horror - books and films. Saw The Omen years ago as a student and had to sleep with the lights on for a week!

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
What do you enjoy @GillP ? I love to read but am quite fussy so appreciate hearing what others like.
Im not into the sci fi / horror or trashy stuff.
But I do get that end of book anxiety - what am I going to read next??? 🙈🙈 it’s harder as a carer as less time to reserach and browse the library, bookshops etc

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
I’m just a big wuss. No to horror - books and films. Saw The Omen years ago as a student and had to sleep with the lights on for a week!
We had a film element as part of our Criminology degree delivered by a like-minded lecturer too, I was a very happy bunny :) As for growing up I was weaned on B/W horror movies when mum and dad had a night off; The Beast with Five Fingers, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dracula, Frankenstein... The Omen Trilogy were classics @GillP! Strangely the only adverse TV/movie effects came from watching The Incredible Hulk with Bill Bixby, who'd have thought haha.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
All this talk of books! You know I've read and reread my existing library, digital (sigh) and otherwise... Can anyone recommend a series of books sci-fi or fantasy that might appeal? Sourcing won't be a problem but I'm absolutely desperate for new material! That three hours between 12midnight and 3am are currently going to waste, kept flitting through my stuff and nothing would hold my attention for long. I'm blaming you peeps! So please help a fellow bookworm out in his hour of need 🙏

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
All this talk of books! You know I've read and reread my existing library, digital (sigh) and otherwise... Can anyone recommend a series of books sci-fi or fantasy that might appeal? Sourcing won't be a problem but I'm absolutely desperate for new material! That three hours between 12midnight and 3am are currently going to waste, kept flitting through my stuff and nothing would hold my attention for long. I'm blaming you peeps! So please help a fellow bookworm out in his hour of need 🙏
have you read phillip pullman? my son likes sci fi/ fantasy and he rates him. earlier ones first. i dont read that sort of thing so cant say.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I assume you have read Julian Mays' Many Coloured Land series and the late great Terry Pratchett discworld series, but have you come across Robin Hobbs Fitz and the Fool series? Start with Assassins Apprentice

I hesitate to suggest this as its neither sci-fi, nor fantasy, but I think you and I have fairly similar tastes. It is an author I found during lockdown - Caimb McDonnell. He writes comedy crime set in Ireland and it cheered me up no end when I was feeling down. Start with A Man With One Of Those Faces

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Have you read Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series, I enjoyed it but he could have reduced the number of books.
Would also recommend the Robin Hobb books.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Yep dipped my toe in books by these authors ;) Pullman ✔ Jordan ✔ May ✔ Hobb (a little bit more) ✔ but Caimb McDonnell... not yet! I am a big George Smiley fan, even read the unfinished John le Carré novel Silverview. The two Alec Guinness BBC adaptations I have on DVD. Thanks guys, I'll definitely revisit these ones!! And have a stab at the last one too :)

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
if you like police procedurals you could try Phillip Jordan’s Belfast Mystery Series. Set in post troubles Belfast. Excellent books.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
if you like police procedurals you could try Phillip Jordan’s Belfast Mystery Series. Set in post troubles Belfast. Excellent books.
Ah! I studied the troubles as part of my Psychology degree - my professor/dissertation supervisor was from NI and provided some more than valuable insights... (my son teaches in Belfast too). I do like the forensic aspects having worked in that area previously. Sucker for Endeavour bar the last series too.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Strange how routine becomes second nature, now I've always been one for order not quite OCD but I do prefer the sameness of things but... It's May already, only seems like yesterday it was Christmas - and this past decade has absolutely flown! Tempus fugit indeed 🕑

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Always careful supporting mum moving/assisting her to mobilise from one place to another, very rare that I incur any aches, pulls or strains... Well it's happened again out of nowhere and nothing to do with mum, outside of right thigh really sore and throbbing dull ache!! Always the case that a somewhat innocent task I'm doing all by myself causes a problem 🙃 The previous time I was just opening a can of tinned fruit and my wrist pulled haha. Ah the joys of getting older... Must have 'slept' awkward 🤕

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
You're more the expert than me, @Eddcorner ,but it might be worth putting a bag of frozen peas on it. It can be surprising easy to pull a muscle.
Definitely a quadricep, probably the vastus lateralis if I want to get technical about it sigh... I've got a bag of frozen cauliflower and have applied as per your advice @Neveradullday! Got some deep heat spray and patches if a cold compress fails to help. Wasn't a general nurse, worked in Mental Health and LD settings when I qualified so your advice is most welcome my friend 😀

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jo Hefferman