Dear Diary!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
The Belgariad 5 book series is a must, have read these many times over. Belgarath the Sorcerer also top class. I would try Elizabeth H. Boyer's World of the Alfar novels too ;)
When I was about six years old, my father took us to the movies as a treat after watching the Australia Day Parade. The movie was called ’The Man from Planet X’ and it scared the living daylights out of me for months, nightmares etc. No idea of what he was thinking.

Hate sci-fie in any form. Fantasy is a different beast.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
When I was about six years old, my father took us to the movies as a treat after watching the Australia Day Parade. The movie was called ’The Man from Planet X’ and it scared the living daylights out of me for months, nightmares etc. No idea of what he was thinking.

I still get the shivers (and not in a nice way) just thinking about The Day of the Triffids.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
I always used to enjoy watching the original Star Trek on a weekday night (BBC2), when I was growing up. But there was one episode that I found really unnerving, the very first one.

It's where Kirk takes over from the previous captain. That first captain is terribly injured but has a chance of living a healthy life with these big headed aliens as long as they can study him and his female companion.

For some reason I never liked watching it.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
star trek is on the channel legend where a lot of other sci fi stuff is. my husband loves sci fi and fantasy as do my younger son. cant get it myself, rather have downton abbey or call the midwife.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi,
What I really want is to escape to this world, before trying to escape to another world!

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020

Avid fan of fifties/sixties sci-fi with Forbidden Planet and This Island Earth big faves ;) Fantasy gotta be Conan the Barbarian with Arnie. Books were a big influence though, Fritz Leiber with his tales of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser creating a world that doesn't disappoint. Apologies I could go on and on, it's the AD & D player in me ;)

Last edited:

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
I always used to enjoy watching the original Star Trek on a weekday night (BBC2), when I was growing up. But there was one episode that I found really unnerving, the very first one.

It's where Kirk takes over from the previous captain. That first captain is terribly injured but has a chance of living a healthy life with these big headed aliens as long as they can study him and his female companion.

For some reason I never liked watching it.
The original pilot 'The Cage' had Captain Pike at the helm... Leonard Nimoy (science officer) and Majel Barrett played the first officer 'Number One' before taking on the role of Nurse Chapel in the reboot. 'The Menagerie' was the follow up... Big brained aliens, have to love it! Sigh, I had a model enterprise that shot yellow discs out the saucer. BBC2 I remember!

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
New activities for mum purchased from the Melissa and Doug range, aimed at children but there are some things easily adapted for mum. Rather than pay that 'dementia premium' if you shop around there are really good buys out there and mum always responds well; I used to throw my hands up in the air as a nurse, a true advocate of an age appropriate approach but in reality? Needs led always with mum an active participant when making a purchase. Success always measured by mum's level of engagement :)

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Well mum went to bed a little bit later last night more in line with our usual routine, consequently only had to support her once during the night, meant unbroken sleep 💤 for me from 3am to 7am :) Total winner!! Mum benefits too because if she's tired will struggle on a cognitive level, it's so easy to fall into a Catch-22 situation so relief all round.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
The Belgariad 5 book series is a must, have read these many times over. Belgarath the Sorcerer also top class. I would try Elizabeth H. Boyer's World of the Alfar novels too ;)
Following your reminder I am reading Belgarath the Sorcerer. I was reading a book by a favourite crime author but it was totally depressing me, so Belgarath it is.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Following your reminder I am reading Belgarath the Sorcerer. I was reading a book by a favourite crime author but it was totally depressing me, so Belgarath it is.
You will not be disappointed! It's sort of a prequel to the Belgariad from his perspective, 'Polgara the Sorceress' is the follow on novel but from his daughter's take of events. The first book of the Belgariad series 'Pawn of Prophecy' is an easier read but slow to develop ;) If you want old school fantasy try the adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser

Original ideas at the time that had not been cloned by a succession of writers! Oops, yes read Belgarath haha... Always get carried away promoting my faves, hmm there is the Thieves' World series of books... Doing it again!!

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
You will not be disappointed! It's sort of a prequel to the Belgariad from his perspective, 'Polgara the Sorceress' is the follow on novel but from his daughter's take of events. The first book of the Belgariad series 'Pawn of Prophecy' is an easier read but slow to develop ;) If you want old school fantasy try the adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser

Original ideas at the time that had not been cloned by a succession of writers! Oops, yes read Belgarath haha... Always get carried away promoting my faves, hmm there is the Thieves' World series of books... Doing it again!!
I have read all of the books several times, Eddings is one of my comfort reads.
One of my favourite passages in any of the books is when Polgara has a temper tantrum.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
I have read all of the books several times, Eddings is one of my comfort reads.
One of my favourite passages in any of the books is when Polgara has a temper tantrum.
Ditto at you @SeaSwallow, ah yes I remember seeing your earlier recommendation now ;)

Yes she does throw quite a wobbler - Garion escaping the citadel after being crowned was especially energetic! Or when laying into Belgarath following his return to the Vale... ;)

The Malloreon was okay but didn't hold my interest as well as the initial series of books.