Worried about John

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Hazel

the whole process took only an hour and a half!

That really is very good. I'm sorry that John's toe is swollen and just hope that it calms down over the next couple of days.

Love and best wishes

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
No, but the charge nurse said he was right down the bed when they went to get him up.

He's been having some pain from his hip recently, and the theory is that he'd been trying to get comfortable in the night. and had banged his toe on the bottom board.

The thing is, that toe's been broken before, so I'll be keeping and eye on it!

Thanks for the support, all.

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
Hazel, sorry to hear John has a poorly toe, thank goodness it isn't broken but like you say keep an eye on it. Toes may be small but they certainly can be painful.
1/2hr is A&E WOW!!! Thats amazing and nice to hear that John was seen to so quickly. Thumbs up for your A&E dept :D
I hope John's toe will soon be better, it must have worried you getting a call like that.
Sending love and hugs
Diane xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks, heartbroken.

John's toe looks much the same. There was pus coming from the side of the nail this morning, so they've sent off a swab. Please God not MRSA again. If it is, it must be in his bloodstream, as he has no open wounds now.

But he looks well, doesn't seem to be in any pain, and is eating normally. It'll be next week now before we get the swab result.

Everything crossed!

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hazel, does John's care plan include chiropody treatment from time to time? Ingrowing toenails are both very painful and a possible site for infection.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Good reply Lynne

I have in growing toe nails:(

Can cause a lot of problems.

Barb X

OK, I am not perfect.

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks all.:)

I don't think John has ingrowing toenails -- at least, he never had before! They have regular visits from the podiatrists, but his nails are very long, I think the visit is overdue!:(

I just don't know!:( It's the opposite foot to the one that had the infected heel. We'll just have to wait and see.

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
Hi Hazel

Just seen your post. Poor John - septic toes are nasty things. Fingers crossed it's not the dreaded MRSA.
Are John's nails brittle and thickened? You say they are long and he might have knocked it against the bed board. If he has brittle nails it could be that the knock has caused a bit to splinter off and break the skin. It only takes the smallest of breaks for infection to get in. I've seen this happen with a few of my patients (I'm a chiropodist). Have they applied any kind of dressing (Inodine, Kaltostat or something like that) while waiting for the swab results?
Hope they sort it out soon.

Chris

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Chris, thanks for that.

They haven't used any dressing yet, I'll have a word this afternoon. I don't think his nails are brittle, but they're certainly too long, and he could easily have knocked it.

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hazel

Does John have Type 11 Diabetes? It is jsut that before my Dad had his diagnosed he had an infection in his toe. It was only 6 months later that the diabetes was diagnosed (the same time as his cancer - he complained as he said he went into hospital fit and came out an invalid!) and the GP reckoned that this was likely causing poorer circulation which is why the toe become infected.

Mameeskye

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Mameeskye

No John does not have diabetes. But it's perhaps something else that should be checked.

Trouble is, it's weekend again, and my favoutite CN is off now until Wednesday.

Why is it always weekend when you need tests done?:eek:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hi Hazel,
Sorry to hear about the troubles you and John have been having. I certainly hope it's not MRSA again. It might well be an ingrown toenail - they don't need to be really long to start growing in.

About the bedboard, is it possible to have it removed to prevent John from hitting his feet against it in the future? He's quite tall, isn't he? I was thinking he could bang his feet against it in the future & perhaps break another toe.

Love,