Wifes Alzheimers

pj53

Dec 11, 2023
Hi,my wife has Alzheimers with very strange behavior of imagining things like she is a government agent and is always being followed,things go missing indoors and she believes spies come in and steals things.
Would this really be anything to do with Alzheimers?
Peter

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Welcome to the forum. My (now late) wife got a bit of paranoia too. Normal with AZ is there is no normal.
It's just a world of #@&+ for all concerned.
Sorry to sound so negative but it is what it is as they say, might be worth getting her meds checked out.
K

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @pj53

People with dementia start to live in their own reality
The scenario you outlined sounds very much like moderate stage dementia - especially the way she thinks that spies are coming in and stealing things. Thinking that others are stealing from you is so common it is almost diagnostic!
My mum thought that her ex-cleaner was coming in through the letterbox and stealing from her! In reality, of course, she was moving things around and putting them "somewhere safe where the ex-cleaner wouldnt find them" and then forgetting.

Does she watch a lot of spy thrillers on TV? Many people at this stage of dementia think that what is happening on TV is actually happening to them. So if she likes spy thrillers this may be the source of this confabulation.

Mind you, if this has come on suddenly, it might be worth checking whether she has some sort of infection - especially a UTI

pj53

Dec 11, 2023
Hi @pj53

People with dementia start to live in their own reality
The scenario you outlined sounds very much like moderate stage dementia - especially the way she thinks that spies are coming in and stealing things. Thinking that others are stealing from you is so common it is almost diagnostic!
My mum thought that her ex-cleaner was coming in through the letterbox and stealing from her! In reality, of course, she was moving things around and putting them "somewhere safe where the ex-cleaner wouldnt find them" and then forgetting.

Does she watch a lot of spy thrillers on TV? Many people at this stage of dementia think that what is happening on TV is actually happening to them. So if she likes spy thrillers this may be the source of this confabulation.

Mind you, if this has come on suddenly, it might be worth checking whether she has some sort of infection - especially a UTI

pj53

Dec 11, 2023
she has had a urine test and blood tests,but she is a massive Bond films which I thought may be an explanation

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980