Mum has Alzheimers

loggerheads

Nov 6, 2023
Hi
My mum was diagnosed with mild Alzheimers a year ago; she lives alone and 100 miles away from me. I am her only family. I am in regular contact with social services and she has carers visiting twice a day. She has medication from a locked box but will not let the carers change the bed, do her washing (she has broken her washing machine repeatedly because she stores her continence pads in there) or supervise any personal washing. Her bedding can go for several weeks before it is changed. She is suspicious of the carers though generally nice to them but she doesn't think she needs help so will often try and cancel her calls. Her condition has deteriorated recently. She is able to use the buses and buy food but can't use a mobile phone or a bank card, and is losing things like her purse more often. Last week she said she'd had a day out with her friend - she did go out but that friend died a long time ago. My husband and I have visited a lot this year to help but we can't carry on like this. I had cancer 2 years ago and recently have been diagnosed with cancer again so I need to focus on my own health which she doesn't understand. She has also been identified as being a danger when crossing the road; she puts her hand out to stop oncoming traffic. She struggles to attend appointments alone now but resists attempts at having a chaperone other than me as she hates the idea of sending money eve though she has money.
I'm struggling to manage all the things she needs right now, and to cope with the stress of lots of phone calls whenever there is a problem. It feels as though the list is endless and whenever we sort one thing, many more appear. She won't discuss any options other than living in her home which is very frustrating. Any advice on what to do would be welcome.

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
I think that you are reaching the point where she just isn’t safe and you need Social Services or someone to help. I think you have reached the point of residential for her own safety. I haven’t done it but reading here many have so hopefully you will get lots of advice. Good luck, it’s so hard what you are going through.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @loggerheads and firstly welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here, so I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read about your Mum. The situation you describe is hugely difficult and fraught with danger to be honest. It does not sound now that twice a day carers are sufficient to keep your Mum safe.
You and your husband living 100 miles away makes the situation even more challenging, as trying to monitor things from afar is so difficult.
You have obviously had SS involved before, but I would contact them to say that there is now a safeguarding issue, and a further assessment need to be done urgently.
Also, to me, the time has come for residential care to keep your Mum safe 24/7. The following link may help with information:
Members here really do want to help, and you'll always find understanding and a listening ear here.

loggerheads

Nov 6, 2023
I think that you are reaching the point where she just isn’t safe and you need Social Services or someone to help. I think you have reached the point of residential for her own safety. I haven’t done it but reading here many have so hopefully you will get lots of advice. Good luck, it’s so hard what you are going through.
Thank you.

SparklieKitty

May 1, 2024
Hi
My mum was diagnosed with mild Alzheimers a year ago; she lives alone and 100 miles away from me. I am her only family. I am in regular contact with social services and she has carers visiting twice a day. She has medication from a locked box but will not let the carers change the bed, do her washing (she has broken her washing machine repeatedly because she stores her continence pads in there) or supervise any personal washing. Her bedding can go for several weeks before it is changed. She is suspicious of the carers though generally nice to them but she doesn't think she needs help so will often try and cancel her calls. Her condition has deteriorated recently. She is able to use the buses and buy food but can't use a mobile phone or a bank card, and is losing things like her purse more often. Last week she said she'd had a day out with her friend - she did go out but that friend died a long time ago. My husband and I have visited a lot this year to help but we can't carry on like this. I had cancer 2 years ago and recently have been diagnosed with cancer again so I need to focus on my own health which she doesn't understand. She has also been identified as being a danger when crossing the road; she puts her hand out to stop oncoming traffic. She struggles to attend appointments alone now but resists attempts at having a chaperone other than me as she hates the idea of sending money eve though she has money.
I'm struggling to manage all the things she needs right now, and to cope with the stress of lots of phone calls whenever there is a problem. It feels as though the list is endless and whenever we sort one thing, many more appear. She won't discuss any options other than living in her home which is very frustrating. Any advice on what to do would be welcome.
May I ask how you got social services involved? My Mum is paying for a home help at the moment, but I think she needs more help.
It is hard caring from a distance if you also have health issues.