Who pays for incontinence pads in a care home?

fairoak

Jan 14, 2019
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and seeking information on who is responsible for the cost of incontinence pads in a care home.
My mother suffers from mixed dementia (alzheimers/vascular) and has been in a local care home for 6 years. I have power of attorney which includes paying her fees for her. She is self-funding.
Until last year there was no charge for incontinence pads, which she has needed for several years.
This month's bill includes £25 for 8 lots of 'inco pads'. There have been lesser amounts in previous months.
I cannot find a definitive statement on any change of policy on the provision of pads. I believe the NHS provided these free of charge previously.
Does any member have a similar experience and does anyone know what the latest policy is?
Thanks

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @fairoak
and welcome to TP
I don't know about a general policy, but my dad (who's self funding too) has pads provided, though if pants are preferred we buy those
he was assessed by the incontinence team, as are all residents of his care home, and the assessment is reviewed each year or sooner if the staff ask
so maybe ask for the GP practice to conduct an assessment

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Until last year there was no charge for incontinence pads, which she has needed for several years.
This month's bill includes £25 for 8 lots of 'inco pads'. There have been lesser amounts in previous months.

Ask the home for details, it could be that the home are increasingly having to top up the free supply in which case a new assessment should be made by the continence service.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
The NHS should supply the pads according to the needs of the person. I know sometimes they supply less than a Carer uses so maybe this is what is happening in the home. They should ask for another assessment of need for pads if this is the case.

My husband was in a nursing home for 4 years and was doubly incontinent and was never charged for pads.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I think things have changed recently. My mother is in a care home (self funding) and when I went to a review with the care home manager a few months ago she said increasingly the residents have to pay for their own inco pads, whereas they used to be supplied free. I think she meant that not enough are supplied, rather than none, but I haven't had to test the theory yet as my mother is still more or less continent - she has a pad at night but have not been charged for that. Anyway, I was pre-warned to expect to pay.

fairoak

Jan 14, 2019
Thank you so much for the replies and helpful advice. I will speak to the manageress of the care home about this. I think the allocation is geared to the degree of incontinence, which is presumably assessed by the GP. I may also discuss it with him.

Something has clearly changed but not been publicised widely. Surely, if care homes can be trusted to use pads responsibly, there should be no need to start rationing them.

The monthly cost of pads is small compared to the overall care costs. The £25 equates to a few hours care. But the principle of rationing pads is just plain wrong.

Thanks again for all the help.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I think the allocation is geared to the degree of incontinence, which is presumably assessed by the GP.

Assessment is usually by a nurse from the continence service.
Current financial climate means supplies can be very stingy.
In some areas it is possible to self refer, give the service a ring and see if you can get anywhere.

Angel Heart

Feb 22, 2020
Hi there,

In the same quandry! My mum went into temporary self funded 6 wks nursing home care yesterday and I assumed this was provided but queried it.
In person one staff member said they’re provided but Care Manager emailed to say they only provided for their permanent residents but that we had to provide for Mum’s temporary respite stay. Perhaps it depends on the care home. Confusing though, as we are paying high rates and NHS provided pads free before she was discharged from hospital yesterday…

Tilly13

Jul 27, 2020
Hello @Angel Heart
Sorry not to know about incon pads when on respite care - my parents are both in Care Homes and are permanent residents.
But I actually have phoned and spoke to our local Bowel and Bladder Service often - they've always been really helpful.
I got their details online. They organise all the free NHS products in our local area
Might be worth a phone call?

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Hi there,

In the same quandry! My mum went into temporary self funded 6 wks nursing home care yesterday and I assumed this was provided but queried it.
In person one staff member said they’re provided but Care Manager emailed to say they only provided for their permanent residents but that we had to provide for Mum’s temporary respite stay. Perhaps it depends on the care home. Confusing though, as we are paying high rates and NHS provided pads free before she was discharged from hospital yesterday…
How was she getting her pads before she went to hospital?

Angel Heart

Feb 22, 2020
How was she getting her pads before she went to hospital?
Hi My Mum’s Daughter,

Mum used to get pads free via the district nurses but they quit a while back as they thought “you’re there anyway” (they didn’t understand that on top of me giving care I had a FT day job and said to me “there are families worse off than yours” yes, they really said that to me 😞. I ended up then paying for Tena pants as mum didn’t like the pads as they were huge and the pants suited her better. I’d buy them and claim back via the LPA account I manage.
The nursing home said since, they’d provide if I couldn’t get down there but otherwise I’d have to provide unless mum goes permanently into their care.

Angel Heart

Feb 22, 2020
Hello @Angel Heart
Sorry not to know about incon pads when on respite care - my parents are both in Care Homes and are permanent residents.
But I actually have phoned and spoke to our local Bowel and Bladder Service often - they've always been really helpful.
I got their details online. They organise all the free NHS products in our local area
Might be worth a phone call?
Thank you so much Tilly, this is good to know.