Services to empty mum's home now court has authorised sale is ok

davehhh1

Oct 1, 2022
Hi,

Long story short my mother is in a care home and we finally got CoP order to sell her home so we need to clear it, sell it to pay the council back and get them out of our hair moving forward.

My question is do we have any recommendations on services to remove and dispose of the contents. It's things such as Mattresses, beds frames, kitchen cutlery, pans, washer and dryer, any old clothes not suitable for charitys and garage contents such as old tools etc.

Any service I use I will need receipts etc for the accounts I have to submit to the court and expenses occurred.

It's going to be a difficult process doing this so I want a service that will be good and as painstaking low as it can be.

I'm in the greater london Surrey area South West London if that helps.

Thanks all,

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
There are lots of groups on Facebook that offer things for free, eg I Need A Whisk, Gumtree, upcycle.org etc etc. Advertise your stuff for free and folk come and collect, it’s a great way to recycle for free. I have used these sites many times.
Charities in your area might collect too.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
When I cleared my mum s house in the same area, I contacted the council for the white goods and mattresses, furniture was taken by a local second hand furniture shop ( can give recommendations due to Ts & Cs of the forum but there are several near to the A3 ) who we paid to take the stuff away and anything they wouldn’t take we put in a skip and the skip surfers helped themselves🙄. I would stay clear of the ones that just drive around with a mobile number on a van as you might not get the paperwork you need.

davehhh1

Oct 1, 2022
Thanks for the replies thus far. So its sounding like its not a 1 service thing but separating out the items into type.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
There are companies that will clear the lot but they charge. Bring able to sell or donate part of the contents will help reduce costs but as you say it’s several tasks not one.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @davehhh1 when we cleared out mum's house we did similar to the above posts, it wasn't possible to clear everything in 'one go'. However after we had given anything serviceable/reusable to charity shops, or put clothing, bedding shoes etc that were not suitable for charity into clothing banks for recycling, we rang round a few local house clearance firms and somebody came out, provided a quote and then took the lot away, including matresses bed frames, old furniture, white goods, small electricals etc plus garage contents.

We did have to pay but it meant that almost all of the contents were taken away on the same day in one load so it was well worth it. Less stress for us, the house and garage was emptied quickly, and a quick sale too at the end of it. As power of attorney we had to bear in mind the costs but ultimately the clearance service was in mum's best interests as utility bills and insurance payments could stop, and the funds used for care home costs, so the overall house clearance charge was not unreasonable under the circumstances.