When the truth hits

Pauline UK

Dec 21, 2022
My husband was diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia in 2016. Recently his symptoms have got worse especially his cognitive impairment. Until yesterday he thought his only problem was memory loss. Last night it took nearly 2 hours to explain the first and third Monday of the month. He is obsessed with the internet and won’t believe that it’s him messing it up. There is a drop in cafe he wants to go to on one of those Mondays. Last night he was ranting and raving that he was not stupid, said I wasn’t listening and things were getting a bit heated. When the penny dropped and he realised that what I was saying was correct he broke down. Everything is so confusing to him. I held him and tried to reassure him. It must be a terrifying thing to know what’s happening to you and that it’s terminal. I feel helpless and don’t know deal with him. I expect he will have forgotten last night this morning but it’s not so easy for me to forget. I just felt I needed to vent this but any ideas would be more than welcome.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to posting @Pauline UK

I`m afraid the time will come when all the explanations in the world may not register and it is a nightmare coming to that realisation.

I think the following link may help in future, although I doubt it would have helped much in the situation you have just posted about.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Pauline UK

I found it hard when I realised my dad could no longer do or understand the things he used to. I found that if I said everything was sorted out, it was in my diary and I’d remind him or I’d already dealt with (whatever) he’d calm down. It was sad to realise I had to organise his life for him but it prevented a lot of upset for both of us!

I found the link @Grannie G posted above very useful too.