Wet Beds

HazelT

Mar 17, 2023
My partner has heart trouble and his ankles and feet are swollen with odema. I wonder if his incontinence is to do with that . The pads the NHS give hold more liquid than the Tena pull ups they offer. The pull ups hold less than the Aldi ones but are sufficient at the moment for my OH.
I've read on this forum that some put pads inside pull ups as extra security.
Oh the joys of caring !
Indeed! I was talking to someone yesterday about whether you could put a pad inside a pull up for extra absorbency. My OH also has swollen legs and ankles so that’s interesting. Thanks for your info about the pads and pants. Everything is a bit hit and miss and a stab in the dark at the moment. All the best.

Dianej

Mar 27, 2021
I've been using Boots XL men pants pull-ups at night which have usually meant that I only have to do one bed change a night now, so if I'm lucky just a matter of changing a Kylie sheet and the rest of the bed is OK. The pants are soaked and usually leaking by morning but at least he will wear them now which is meaning a lot less bed changes. He will only keep the pads on for 10 minutes, wet or dry. The NHS delivered a three-month supply of pads which came in three huge boxes and we've only used 10 pads!

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I've been using Boots XL men pants pull-ups at night which have usually meant that I only have to do one bed change a night now, so if I'm lucky just a matter of changing a Kylie sheet and the rest of the bed is OK. The pants are soaked and usually leaking by morning but at least he will wear them now which is meaning a lot less bed changes. He will only keep the pads on for 10 minutes, wet or dry. The NHS delivered a three-month supply of pads which came in three huge boxes and we've only used 10 pads!
Hi @Dianej ,I don't know the absorbency rating of the boots pull up but the Tena pants the NHS supply are 6/8 drops on the package. The Aldi Sana range of pull up is 8/8. If the Boots brand is less try the Aldi. I found them good.

Christabella

Sep 10, 2023
My OH with dementia has started with urinal incontinence and I have had to change the bed every day this week so far. I have bought disposable pads and waterproof mattress covers and washable bed pads which are doing their job mostly, although leaks down the side of the bed are a problem. At first he refused to wear the pull on pants I had got but is now wearing them but although they seem to catch a bit most of it is still on the bed.
Have I got the wrong size? What are the best ones? What are we doing wrong? Should they be tight fitting? Is it best to be smaller rather than larger?
Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks
I have the same problem, so not much sleep most nights. My husband keeps pulling off his pull on pants and causing waterlogged mayhem. Anyone any ideas on how I can persuade him to keep them on??

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Hi All, I was a Nurse so can help you with the oedema issue. Anyone who has swollen ankles in the days and evenings will have whats called a diuresis overnight. The fluid will be absorbed back into the body and then the kidneys will remove the extra fluid.
If this is your person's issue you can expect them to be pretty wet in the first part of the night. Extra pad in pull ups will help its unlikely pull ups alone will be able to hold the amount of fluid. Also well protected bed with kylies that launder. Hopefully then you will be able to change once early in the night and it may settle. Also try feet up on a stool in the evening so it drives the fluid out of the tissues and definitely emphasise to the incontinence nurses.

HazelT

Mar 17, 2023
Hi All, I was a Nurse so can help you with the oedema issue. Anyone who has swollen ankles in the days and evenings will have whats called a diuresis overnight. The fluid will be absorbed back into the body and then the kidneys will remove the extra fluid.
If this is your person's issue you can expect them to be pretty wet in the first part of the night. Extra pad in pull ups will help its unlikely pull ups alone will be able to hold the amount of fluid. Also well protected bed with kylies that launder. Hopefully then you will be able to change once early in the night and it may settle. Also try feet up on a stool in the evening so it drives the fluid out of the tissues and definitely emphasise to the incontinence nurses.
Thank you that’s useful to know.

HazelT

Mar 17, 2023
I have the same problem, so not much sleep most nights. My husband keeps pulling off his pull on pants and causing waterlogged mayhem. Anyone any ideas on how I can persuade him to keep them on??
Oh I sympathise. I wonder if you used pads inside his own pants whether he would be so keen to pull them off. Other than that I’m afraid I haven't any ideas. Sorry. Good luck.

YARAMAR

Jun 20, 2023
My OH with dementia has started with urinal incontinence and I have had to change the bed every day this week so far. I have bought disposable pads and waterproof mattress covers and washable bed pads which are doing their job mostly, although leaks down the side of the bed are a problem. At first he refused to wear the pull on pants I had got but is now wearing them but although they seem to catch a bit most of it is still on the bed.
Have I got the wrong size? What are the best ones? What are we doing wrong? Should they be tight fitting? Is it best to be smaller rather than larger?
Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks

Christabella

Sep 10, 2023
Oh I sympathise. I wonder if you used pads inside his own pants whether he would be so keen to pull them off. Other than that I’m afraid I haven't any ideas. Sorry. Good luck.
Trouble is, he never was one for wearing underpants anyway!! 🙄😏

DawnR

Sep 14, 2022
Northumberland
Trouble is, he never was one for wearing underpants anyway!! 🙄😏
I have the same problem, my husband has never worn underpants.
Every time he goes into respite he always comes home wearing someone else’s for some reason, even though I make it clear he doesn’t like wearing them 🤔

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Every time he goes into respite he always comes home wearing someone else’s for some reason, even though I make it clear he doesn’t like wearing them 🤔
Ahh, mine has always worn underpants. Maybe that has made the transition to pull ups easy. I have started putting a pull up on a day out. If I'm driving finding a loo in time can be difficult. I'm also hoping he gets used to wearing it so when he needs one he's used to it. I called them just in case pants but the other day OH called them safety pants!🙂

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Ahh, mine has always worn underpants. Maybe that has made the transition to pull ups easy. I have started putting a pull up on a day out. If I'm driving finding a loo in time can be difficult. I'm also hoping he gets used to wearing it so when he needs one he's used to it. I called them just in case pants but the other day OH called them safety pants!🙂
Safety panfs sounds very insightful. Sometimes the cycling shorts things can be less easy to move

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Safety panfs sounds very insightful. Sometimes the cycling shorts things can be less easy to move
Yes, I was very surprised at his comment. This from a man who thinks we live with a houseful of others,there's only us two. He's not sure who I am and doesn't know the names of a lot of everyday objects. Strange how there's the occasional glimpse of the clever witty man he once was.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Yes, I was very surprised at his comment. This from a man who thinks we live with a houseful of others,there's only us two. He's not sure who I am and doesn't know the names of a lot of everyday objects. Strange how there's the occasional glimpse of the clever witty man he once was.
I find that too,they are so disjointed from so many aspects of life and then they come up with something thats really insightful and mine recognises my distress when I'm trying to hide instantly. Its grindingly hard.

Christabella

Sep 10, 2023
Tonight I'm going to try and get him to wear a kind of all in one vest/shorts combo over his pull up pants so that he won't easily able to take them off and widdle everywhere; we'll see if it works!

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Tonight I'm going to try and get him to wear a kind of all in one vest/shorts combo over his pull up pants so that he won't easily able to take them off and widdle everywhere; we'll see if it works!
Good luck. Let us know if it works. May need the knowledge one day 🙂

Christabella

Sep 10, 2023
Sounds daft but how do you tell which is front and back in the pull ups? I'm having difficulty figuring it out!
Glad I found this group, by the way... 🙏

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bexs