Wet Beds

HazelT

Mar 17, 2023
Sounds daft but how do you tell which is front and back in the pull ups? I'm having difficulty figuring it out!
Glad I found this group, by the way... 🙏
I have had two different types. One had blue stitching along the back edge and one has a bit of tape down the back side. I think they both said something on the wrapping about it. Hope that helps.

Dianej

Mar 27, 2021
My OH'S bedwetting matches perfectly with other experiences on here of oedema being a factor. I have realised that he was waking up to go to the toilet to pee three or four times a night, which must have been caused by the oedema. But now he sleeps so deeply that he doesn't wake up and he wets the bed. The biggest pee in the night happens in the first two to three hours of his sleep. This heavy sleeping coincided with when the Memory Clinic put him on half a tablet or risperidone at lunchtime to help with sundowning and agitation in the late afternoon and evening. He was already taking mentamine and continues with that. He is not incontinent during the day or if he falls asleep sitting on the sofa at night, when I now realise the fluid from his oedema can't travel up his body. One night last week I couldn't get him to bed as he was so fast asleep, so wrapped him up in blankets. He stayed there all night in a sitting position and was completely dry from 8pm until 5am when he got up and went upstairs to the toilet. I think he may not really be incontinent at all and feel so sorry that he (and I) are having to put up with the misery of wet beds.
Its a Catch 22 because I think if the comes off the Risperidone, the sundowning, refusing to sleep at night, and difficult night-time behaviour etc will get worse again.
The Boots pull-up pants I have been using have 7 of 8 drops marked on the packet. They certainly don't cope with the first pee of the night, but a fresh pair will often cope for the rest of the night.
I have also bought some Vivactive pants which have 8/8 drops marked on the packet and will split down the side so you can remove them easier. But I haven't tried them yet.
PS. It's difficult to tell but I don't think the pull-ups I have been using have a back or front.

HazelT

Mar 17, 2023
My OH'S bedwetting matches perfectly with other experiences on here of oedema being a factor. I have realised that he was waking up to go to the toilet to pee three or four times a night, which must have been caused by the oedema. But now he sleeps so deeply that he doesn't wake up and he wets the bed. The biggest pee in the night happens in the first two to three hours of his sleep. This heavy sleeping coincided with when the Memory Clinic put him on half a tablet or risperidone at lunchtime to help with sundowning and agitation in the late afternoon and evening. He was already taking mentamine and continues with that. He is not incontinent during the day or if he falls asleep sitting on the sofa at night, when I now realise the fluid from his oedema can't travel up his body. One night last week I couldn't get him to bed as he was so fast asleep, so wrapped him up in blankets. He stayed there all night in a sitting position and was completely dry from 8pm until 5am when he got up and went upstairs to the toilet. I think he may not really be incontinent at all and feel so sorry that he (and I) are having to put up with the misery of wet beds.
Its a Catch 22 because I think if the comes off the Risperidone, the sundowning, refusing to sleep at night, and difficult night-time behaviour etc will get worse again.
The Boots pull-up pants I have been using have 7 of 8 drops marked on the packet. They certainly don't cope with the first pee of the night, but a fresh pair will often cope for the rest of the night.
I have also bought some Vivactive pants which have 8/8 drops marked on the packet and will split down the side so you can remove them easier. But I haven't tried them yet.
PS. It's difficult to tell but I don't think the pull-ups I have been using have a back or front.
That is so like what is happening here. My OH has not come to bed for the last couple of nights and is ‘sorting’ stuff and quite agitated all night. I get up every couple of hours to check on him so I am not sleeping either. Interesting to know that he has been given some medication for it. I must make a note of that and ask our doctor. It is a horrible disease without a lot of answers and a depressing outlook for the future!

Carmenjane

Mar 17, 2022
Earlier in the thread people were talking about which way to point peter. I didn't know which way and had to ask, I got the firm answer - down! combined with a snug fit round the leg.

re wet beds. When my OH was at home I didn't know about kylie sheets but I came up with a good solution in desperation. We had a lot of bubble wrap and I put a big sheet of that on top of the waterproof mattress cover and under the sheet. Obviously I still had to wash the sheet but that was easy and quick to dry compared with the mattress cover and the bubble wrap just needed a wipe down and left to dry during the day. It probably wouldn't work for a restless sleeper.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
That is so like what is happening here. My OH has not come to bed for the last couple of nights and is ‘sorting’ stuff and quite agitated all night. I get up every couple of hours to check on him so I am not sleeping either. Interesting to know that he has been given some medication for it. I must make a note of that and ask our doctor. It is a horrible disease without a lot of answers and a depressing outlook for the future!
Hi @HazelT and @Dianej , I'm starting to think my OH problem might be associated with his oedema too. He is not incontinent during the day. If he wakes around 2am and 4am he is dry on visiting the toilet. If it's nearer 3am and 5am he can be wet but still manages to use the loo . Think he just isn't getting there in time, more leakage,because his bladder is so full.
My OH has been on memantine since diagnosis in 2021. He's not on any other dementia meds ,just several heart/ BP meds but no water tablets.
Interesting thread for me. Thanks

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Hi, I'm going to add one more thing to this and I hope you won't bite my head off. Try and persuade your OH to have a single bed. The design makes it much easier for incontinence products and also changing. On the laundry front you can get 3 lightweight polycotton sheets in on one wash.
They won't like the idea but there is no awareness of their behaviours. My husband always used our waste paper bins to pee in even the wicker ones. Hadn't seen that one coming

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
The odema is interesting info as we have that too! Thankfully mum is now in nursing home. Mobility was the main issue - but also I realised that I was lying in bed thinking I must get up and change her as she will be wet but was exhausted - I realised it would be better care for her for a paid night worker to Do it. She’s now changed at 2 and 5am when needed.

I also read that to help the kidneys produce urine during the day rather than the night have a lie down in the afternoon???

In the early days when pull ups were resisted I called them ‘travel pants’. She loves going out and we did most days - therefore travel pants were required in case of broken loo, traffic jam, locked loo etc. that worked!!!

HazelT

Mar 17, 2023
Hi, I'm going to add one more thing to this and I hope you won't bite my head off. Try and persuade your OH to have a single bed. The design makes it much easier for incontinence products and also changing. On the laundry front you can get 3 lightweight polycotton sheets in on one wash.
They won't like the idea but there is no awareness of their behaviours. My husband always used our waste paper bins to pee in even the wicker ones. Hadn't seen that one coming
No heads bitten, it’s not a bad idea except I am not sure we can fit them in our bedroom! I have thought about different rooms but he is a wanderer at night time so I would never settle because I wouldn't know where he was! It’s amazing what this disease makes them do. Thanks

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
No heads bitten, it’s not a bad idea except I am not sure we can fit them in our bedroom! I have thought about different rooms but he is a wanderer at night time so I would never settle because I wouldn't know where he was! It’s amazing what this disease makes them do. Thanks
@maisiecat and @HazelT
I had thought of single beds but at the moment bedding is staying dry with my O H. I do have waterproof cover and kylie sheets in preparation on the bed,advice I got from this forum some time ago. My OH can be a wanderer too and I can't sleep in my hearing aids so need to know when he's out of bed. I have motion sensor lights that light the room and that and movement from the bed tells me he's up🙂

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
In my experience slips are more absorbent than pull-ups, but more fiddly to manage. I used slips at night, pull-ups during the day. Most incontinence websites give you the volume of fluid that the pants can cope with . I don't thnk that the "drops" ratings are equivalent across all brands and pant types which makes comparisons difficult.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
The odema is interesting info as we have that too! Thankfully mum is now in nursing home. Mobility was the main issue - but also I realised that I was lying in bed thinking I must get up and change her as she will be wet but was exhausted - I realised it would be better care for her for a paid night worker to Do it. She’s now changed at 2 and 5am when needed.

I also read that to help the kidneys produce urine during the day rather than the night have a lie down in the afternoon???

In the early days when pull ups were resisted I called them ‘travel pants’. She loves going out and we did most days - therefore travel pants were required in case of broken loo, traffic jam, locked loo etc. that worked!!!
Definitely a lay down or sitting with legs up will help aid a daytime diuresis which brings the oedema back into the body to be expelled by the kidneys.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
My husband pinged out of bed at midnight every night to do with his Parkinsons and he would then be all over the place for some hours. By the time he had 2 types of dementia sleep was a distant memory

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
@maisiecat and @HazelT
I had thought of single beds but at the moment bedding is staying dry with my O H. I do have waterproof cover and kylie sheets in preparation on the bed,advice I got from this forum some time ago. My OH can be a wanderer too and I can't sleep in my hearing aids so need to know when he's out of bed. I have motion sensor lights that light the room and that and movement from the bed tells me he's up🙂
I am afraid there is no getting away from the problem of wandering at night. Our house was always lit up like Blackpool Tower all night

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I am afraid there is no getting away from the problem of wandering at night. Our house was always lit up like Blackpool Tower all night
Fortunately at the moment wandering is mainly associated with toilet visits and disorientation. Only had a couple of occasions where he wanted to leave the house . He's quite placid and compliant and I can usually redirect him . He was more stubborn when he wanted to leave the house . Got him to sit in the living room but refused to take coat off for half an hour! At least he doesn't get aggressive...but I still means broken sleep. Who knows what will come next! 🙂

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kamil2190