Wandering mum early morning

Vanilla123

Jun 5, 2014
Hi I am new to this website as my mum has dementia. She lives alone but has carers coming in 4 times a day. Worried as she started to go wandering out her house in the small town she lives early morning thinking she is going to her day centre but is getting time mixed up. Luckily someone she knows took her home. She never goes out herself as she can barely walk without a stick. She also had hallucinations and hears knocking at her window in early hours at night. I have told her social worker and carers are aware but not sure what needs to happen now as I think she would only get worse if she went into full time care or sheltered housing.

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
Hi I am new to this website as my mum has dementia. She lives alone but has carers coming in 4 times a day. Worried as she started to go wandering out her house in the small town she lives early morning thinking she is going to her day centre but is getting time mixed up. Luckily someone she knows took her home. She never goes out herself as she can barely walk without a stick. She also had hallucinations and hears knocking at her window in early hours at night. I have told her social worker and carers are aware but not sure what needs to happen now as I think she would only get worse if she went into full time care or sheltered housing.

We're having this as well at the moment because it's full daylight at 4am. It's very confusing for my MIL who rages at me because we didn't tell her it was a bank holiday. (The only explanation she can come up with for why all the shops are shut and no buses are running.)

I'm hoping it will be a short phase, but I know that you can get pressure pads that can alert you if she leaves the house.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Vanilla.

I think she would only get worse if she went into full time care or sheltered housing.

I`m sorry to say this, your mum will `get worse` no matter where she lives because she has a progressive illness.
A long term TPer asked me, when I had a similar concern, if my husband`s condition was deteriorating because he was in residential care or did I decide on residential care because his condition was deteriorating.

My husband wandered but I was there to follow him. Even then he managed to get lost a few times.
My mother wandered but because she lived alone, no one knew till time had passed and it became much more serious.

If your mum has started to wander she is now at risk and really does need 24 hour supervision, be it sheltered housing or residential care. My husband was losing his mobility but when the time came for him to go walkabout he got additional strength from somewhere and it took me all my time to keep up with him.

I`m sorry , as such a new member you are having to face such worrying reality.

Ladybird23

Feb 28, 2014
My Dad was wondering, he would be near the back door all hours of the night. Sometimes I heard him, some not. I would gently say its not time to go out yet come back to bed and he would do so willingly for some of the time.

I am sorry but it does get worse, as the previous poster has said. It is an evil disease.

My Dad is in a wonderful care home, and he is safe.
Fathers day is going to be emotional to say the least.

Hope you can sort something out, but don't leave it for too long as I did.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloJb