Virtual Christmas thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Morning everyone, and hope you all have a peaceful day. I am going to face time the OH today before going to my daughters for lunch. His son has been to visit him the last 2 nights, and it’s hard to believe his lack of mobility after being in the unit for 3 months. They looked after the brain side, but didn't really look after the physical side. First Christmas without him in 24 years. This is the new different.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @margherita , good to hear from you. I hope that you are alright and that you are making a better life for yourself.

You too @Dutchman, it seems from your recent posts that you are getting to a better place of accepting what you cannot change.

I wish you well during the Festive period and beyond.

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
a warm welcome from me too @Ms PH
you've joined us on a particularly poignant day
you have been kind and caring to your mum and found her a safe place to be
throw away that guilt, your mum of old would tell you, I'm sure, and enjoy your family as she, no doubt, enjoyed hers, make that your gift to them and to her
festive wishes to you all

Dutchman

May 26, 2017
Devon, Totnes
Thanks Peter, much appreciated. This is a bloody hard day isn’t it. Love kindred
I’ve kept a journal going since Bridget left here on Friday morning 23rd August 2019. My thought go to her innocently being taken down the garden to a waiting car to be driven to her her new home.

One hour before that I never knew what it would be like without her, one minute after they drove off I realised she would never be back in this house again. After nearly 30 years under the same roof it was like she’d died and I was left alone with all the memories which I couldn’t share any more.
Thank you and everyone that been there for me❤️

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I’ve kept a journal going since Bridget left here on Friday morning 23rd August 2019. My thought go to her innocently being taken down the garden to a waiting car to be driven to her her new home.

One hour before that I never knew what it would be like without her, one minute after they drove off I realised she would never be back in this house again. After nearly 30 years under the same roof it was like she’d died and I was left alone with all the memories which I couldn’t share any more.
Thank you and everyone that been there for me❤️
Thank you, Peter, you have been and are there for so many of us. I so understand about the house. Keith used to say often, I so love this house. Thank you. With love and appreciation, kindredxx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OK, OH is showered, dressed and sat on the sofa with a mug of coffee and his android tablet :rolleyes::)

Apart from his tablet, food is about the only thing that still interests him, so we are having traditional Christmas food. Turkey breast stuffed with chestnut stuffing and pigs in blankets are in the oven along with the roast veggies. The pudding is steaming and we will have brandy butter and cream to go with it. Starters is melon with ginger.

I prepped most of it slowly over the previous months and put it in the freezer, but did the last minute stuff today while watching/listening to our church live-streamed service and singing the carols. Ive sampled the wine ? - for quality control you understand ;) - and Ive just got to boil the carrots and sprouts and make the gravy.

This afternoon OH will probably nap for two or three hours and I may well sample the chocolates and finish off the wine. I think I might have to join Sylvias healthy living thread in the new year!

spandit

Feb 11, 2020
Happy Christmas everybody. Wasn't the plan to have my father in care but I think he's being looked after...

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Ive just read that it is officially a White Christmas ?

Although, to be honest, its a very damp squib down here - more of a wet Christmas :rolleyes:

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My plans have gone a bit awry. We all took lateral flow tests this morning to make sure we were OK before my brother who's health is pretty fragile arrived. My son had a positive result so we've had to put my brother and family off and trot down to the testing centre, which fortunately is just at the end of our road. The guy on duty was lovely and made the visit as much as a pleasure as things can be.
We haven't done anything very Christmassy yet, though son and I did a bit of Christmas jigsaw and we are all going to cook a proper dinner in a bit.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
thats rotten luck @Sarasa but at least you did the test before your brother arrived. i did one day before christmas eve as i havent had a booster yet but i was clear thankfully.
weve had dinner which he hasnt lost his touch, it was lovely. i can wash up very well so team effort. all is needed is put feet up and enjoy the rest of the day, with strictly and call the midwife to look forward to.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That is bad luck @Sarasa.
C was not hungry again despite my best efforts to prompt and to feed her at the care home. The team leader thought I'd have more luck than she or the care staff, but not this time. She then tried to drink from my phone while talking to her daughter. So sad to see, but I have seen plenty of happy photos of previous Christmases at our favourite restaurant or at memory cafes coming up on facebook. I never thought I'd be looking back to better days, but we had some good times.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It is tough when the most ordinary things start to go wrong @nae sporran It is a bit like when my wife put a hat on. Nothing wrong with that except that she was already wearing one. Hold on tight to those precious memories of the good times.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
So sorry to hear C is slowly deteriorating @nae sporran The realisation is tough. It looks as if you sorted residential care in the nick of time.

I’m also sorry your plans have been disrupted @Sarasa what a pity
It`s wonderful the test centres are being manned with such good natured medics.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Circumstances rather took the decision out of my hands @Grannie G, but despite a few problems the past couple of weeks or so have proved to me she is in the right place.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Having been brought up a Methodist I know what John Wesley meant when he exorted his followers to sing 'lustily and with courage'. This was never more apparent than on those cold nights we tramped the streets singing Christmas carols. My favourite was 'while Shepherds watched' sung to a faster clip with the added 'Sweet Bells' multi-part chorus. The children from St Benet Biscop Catholic Academy show that it wasn't just for Methodists:

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hi everyone, I would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas. It's been a tough few days especially at this time of year! I'm on my own, I have my 2 cats but at times it still feels lonely. It's the second year that mum is'nt here. Last year she was in hospital and this year she is in a care home. I know she is still here but part of me feels I have already lost her! I visited her this week and part of the visit was she was sat watching a gardener through the window and not muttering a word. I find her attention span is short. She does'nt ask any questions anymore of which I miss because my mum used to enjoy talking, asking how I am etc. She has for the last few visits asked me to take things home with me as people are stealing ie/ brushes, clothes. I've learnt to not show my feelings in front of her or to the CH staff at least until I get home then I cry and cry for days. Christmas is hard but this disease is harder ..... All the best to everyone. x

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Wow - that's Christmas Day over. I'm more than happy to report it passed uneventfully and without tears or tantrums from either of us. That's the best gift I could have been given.
I won't bore you with all the details but it was one of the best days we've had for a very long time. Nothing special, no visitors, just quiet and slow but oh such a change from the usual bizarre circus from the Alternative Reality Corporation that life has become.
The only minor downside is that I think I may have Shingles popping out on my face (again) but hey-ho ... that's life.
I wish you each and all the very best for the remainder of the season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.