Spitting out tablets

Jac86

Mar 28, 2022
My mum takes medication for dementia (memantine) plus medication for blood pressure and her heart. She struggles to take the tablets and spits them out. I have spoken to the doctor and he said the pharmacist will get in touch with me about alternatives but I’m still waiting to hear from them. I’m just wondering if others have experienced the same thing and was there an alternative for memantine? And did your relative take it ok?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I took my medication (smarties, other sweets are available) and so she took hers too, copy behaviour. Ever third swallowing a smartie whole...worked for me, inclusion not direction. K

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
My mum takes medication for dementia (memantine) plus medication for blood pressure and her heart. She struggles to take the tablets and spits them out. I have spoken to the doctor and he said the pharmacist will get in touch with me about alternatives but I’m still waiting to hear from them. I’m just wondering if others have experienced the same thing and was there an alternative for memantine? And did your relative take it ok?
Hi @Jac86
My OH started to forget how to take her tablets. She put them in her mouth and instead of holding them there whilst she took a drink, she started chewing the pills. They didn't taste nice so she'd want to spit them out.
I got a pill cutter from the pharmacist. Now I cut the larger pills in two, and for the morning medication, I put all the tablets in her cereal . She eats it all up, no query, no funny face etc. and I assume the sweetness of the cereal or the sultanas I add in and a bit of granola for crunch disguises it all.
So for the evening medication I do the same, just a tea spoon of granola and a few sultanas/raising and a drop of milk. No problem. In fact, I think she thinks I'm giving her a little treat.
It might make a difference because in my case I have to feed my OH as she's beyond being able to cope with cutlery.
Best wishes.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
My OH has started doing the same @Chizz . I have to check the glass now to make sure the tablets are not at the bottom half dissolved. Sometimes I find one in the bed stuck to the sheet.
Some of my oh tablets are slow release and chewing them isn't good. Next prescription I order I'm gong to ask if theres a liquid version of the dose.

Sphynx

Oct 19, 2020
My mum won’t take any medication and we haven’t found a solution. She needs antibiotics now for an infection but spits the liquid and flat refuses tablets. She isn’t really eating so we can’t hide them, but if she were I would hide in chocolates and hope she didn’t crunch into one by mistake.

susiecol

May 8, 2024
When my mum was in hospital recently she would 'chew' the tablets so they started with liquid form painkillers....

susiecol

May 8, 2024
Oh and then when she wouldn't swallow it all,they used to use a syringe... still pulled her face at the taste,but at least it went down xx