Support for carers

KeithS

Jan 3, 2022
Hi all I am sure that there have been posts with this title before. my wife has early onset.
I am unable to find any support for the carer. yes there is lots of written information but no actual support for the individual thrust into this situation.
struggling and I knwo its gonna get worse

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi all I am sure that there have been posts with this title before. my wife has early onset.
I am unable to find any support for the carer. yes there is lots of written information but no actual support for the individual thrust into this situation.
struggling and I knwo its gonna get worse
Hello @KeithS There are carers UK , admiral nurses who support the carer, dementia navigator, there are groups that you could go to together. There isn't the support carers need but look at this site for support for you as a carer. And this forum to ask advice or or a rant or whatever you need
There is loads of experience here

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @KeithS unfortunately carer support can be hard to find. Have you requested a carers assessment from your local adult social services to see what help they might be able to provide.
@jennifer1967 has also given you some good pointers.
You could also try googling to see if there are any carer support groups in your area.
In the meantime, keep posting on here, our members are very supportive of each other.

TeacherSue

May 5, 2024
Hello @KeithS unfortunately carer support can be hard to find. Have you requested a carers assessment from your local adult social services to see what help they might be able to provide.
@jennifer1967 has also given you some good pointers.
You could also try googling to see if there are any carer support groups in your area.
In the meantime, keep posting on here, our members are very supportive of each other.
I agree you need to find people who are going through the same thing as you. Keep an eye out for Dementia help groups in your area. Our local hospice runs a Dementia Cafe on a Thursday morning. I am a teacher so can only go in the school holidays. But to talk to each other is such a source of support. Hope you find your own group.

Paula2u

Jan 12, 2018
There is support for the carer. 1 contact your council ask for carers assessment, 2 tell them how you feel , tired no social life no freedom and it's 24/7. You need help daily. No one can care 24/7 .. check about direct payments you could employ someone to help you, to give you timeout. Ask for say 20 hours a week of direct payments. If you have savings above 23thousend you do not have to divulge your finances but you will have to pay towards the salary of your PA. Max currently is £100 in Wales.

Trust me having time out makes all the difference. Also you could ask for a week of respite care so your wife goes into a carehome while you have a holiday. Etc etc

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enticottdebbie