Vascular dementia

Kevb

Jun 18, 2024
My 72 year old wife has had dementia for a few years now whilst physically fit she really hasn’t got a clue what’s going on, lots of apathy and relies on me to run her life, big strain on me, very repetitive, over last few months she is self neglecting to wash and shower, just wanted to share and chat through

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and welcome @Kevb to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here, so I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read about your wife. It's tough being a carer for a loved one for sure.
Do have a good look around the forums and ask any particular questions you may like to. People here really do want to help, and you always find understanding too. What brings us all together here is the experience of the cruelness of this disease. You will find you are never alone on this forum. It's also a great place to let off a bit of steam when you need to.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
For me at any rate the specific diagnosis doent matter, just my opinion.
My wife was diagnosed with early onset, mixed atypical Alzheimer's for all the good knowing that helped me more than 10 years down the line.
I would like to think this site is about helping to care not about the specific diagnosis, hence it's no longer the Alzheimer's site, it's the dementia site.
Not a word I personally like but it is what it is. K

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My 72 year old wife has had dementia for a few years now whilst physically fit she really hasn’t got a clue what’s going on, lots of apathy and relies on me to run her life, big strain on me, very repetitive, over last few months she is self neglecting to wash and shower, just wanted to share and chat through
my husband has vascular dementia diagnosed 2020. i basically have to run his life for him, apathetic but also his logic, reasoning and sequencing is not their. he is really unsteady on his feet and cuts corners with the furniture etc and quite often bumps into it. i give him a shower. i remind him to wash and put a towel on his chest of drawers to remind him [not always worked]. he will have a wash and clean clothes as i take his dirty ones out of his room at night. i give him his meds, run the house, money everything. hes beginning to have trouble with the remote. doesnt cook like he did as his timings are all out.
its not primarily about memory but logic and they go down in steps then plateau then go down steps which is different to alzheimers. they all have their different characteristics. although the end is the same, they dont all have the same roads to travel. there is no recommended meds to see it will slow down like other dementias either.